Kinzua country; alleghany river and tribs

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by jolie, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    UNITED REFINERY, ALLEGHANY RIVER @ WarrenPA 10-11:30pm
    Well after a near tsunami of high water, the Bass are back. and I've decided to record it in my own thread. I'll warn people at the outset, that although this is focused on the alleghany river near the kinzua dam tailwaters (and include the two major tributaries, brokenstraw and Conewango), I intend it to contain more than merely catfish.

Now whats cool about this time in the river? We finally hit bottom winter temperature at the outlet of the kinzua dam, which is about 33°F. (there's an old misconception that its alway 50 or something:eek:oooh:) i.e The River has officially entered the winter season

and finally I'm finding bass where I found them last January, right at the outlet of a very warm water discharge (80°F) at the refinery;

Anyway three bass in 1.5 hours....
    Mama bass (16"), papa bass (13") and little junior bass (10.5").

BTW Everybody asks me the same question when I go fishing here- Where's the walleye?? As a Matter of fact, my family enjoys Bass fish dinners BETTER than walleye fish dinner. Bass Fight harder AND I don't weap if I catch some frisky bass and miss out on them finicky' marble eyes! I don't quite get peoples obsession:tounge_out:;

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    you are doing better than I am I haven't even been out on the water at all so you got me beat keep the reports coming!!!I might try after this arctic air moves out of the area

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I enjoy hearing the"North Country" reports Jason! Keep them coming! :cool2: Any update on the Chapman Dam ice conditions? I was thinking of coming up on Friday! :big_smile:

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

Scattered reports of 4-6" ice on chapman. And according to the guy at Pages Tackle shop, there's a group of people that have recently fished chapman and say good things about the ice.

The ice seems marginal, but doable with caution.

bear in mind there's rain coming today and tommarrow. The rain will help, if later it freezes.

as for me, I don't think I'll be able to take friday off. too close to christmas.

Hate to miss you, but I don't want to hold you back either.

If you go, best of luck and be cautious with soft spots that might develop in the rain...Jason

5. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Chapman is a great little lake to fish. Good luck to you Scott if you go on friday

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa

I think I'm going to wait now after this warm weather today! :sad2: I'll travel up next week if the ice hangs in there! Let me know if you get ice updates!

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Scott, based on the long term forecast (always tentative I know)...
    Things are looking like they will again be very safe next saturday, Jan 3.

the beginning of January is sposed to again have low temperatures in the teens. I'm hoping at least.:wink:

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    KINZUA DAM TAILWATERS @ WARREN,PA 11:15-2:00

Skunked:sad2:

Water was raised from 5000 - 7000 less than 3 hours before I left. Raising water levels never seem to help me in the river. I think the water temp decreases and cold water puts the fish in a funk.

sigh. december water levels stink at the dam. funny how the dam is.

you can happily fishing low waters during near flooding conditions, or they can just screw up your fishing for no reason!:angry:

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jason - Maybe get the guy who controls the dam a case of beer or something and let him know when your going fishing and he can hold back the water! :wink: How did the ice survive the warm weekend?

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    that usually works for just about anything else Scott at least in the construction world hey can you do me a favor? Case of Miller or whatever in the job trailer,lol try asking Jason it might work

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm very hopeful that chapman has weathered the storm with much of its ice, a layer of slush. if the forecast holds true, much of what is now slush should refreeze (and in even colder weather- turn dark and hard). Weather temps late this week look particuarly good.

I've already meet people that are tentative going up there today. These guys are loons, for sure-- We lost our snowmelt and had some pretty hefty rain. but if people risk it (and don't drown:tounge_out:) today; by the weekend, chapman should be safe.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I drove up to lake chapman after work, Monday afternoon at four oclock.

it was a very interesting sight, scott. its like this, is a half filled beer class half empty or half full??

on the one hand on the side with the beach; the left side, looking exactly at the directly at the dam. that Whole side was completely thawed. people were fishing with rod and reel, at a point, down near the handicapped pier.

on the other hand on the RIGHT side, the woody corner (steep bank).. there were ICE fishermen catching trout. and amazingly not drowning (at least not at 4pm). word was that those blokes measured 4" of ice.

SO, I would not be icefishing yesterday! I don't go ice-fishing on a lake that half thawed:tounge_out::tounge_out:. But perhaps you say, that good ice fishing can't be so many days away in the good weather that's coming to us (according to the long range forecast). TRUE.

still, when you do go, STAY away from the left bank. its sure the weaker for most of the rest of the season. 'sides, there some truly deep water near that point on the left,and if you fall in , its over 8' (measured that myself ice-fishing last year).

wished I had a camera, what a sight it was.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks Jason for the update! :cool2:

14. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    After a huge swell of river water over 16,700cfs. I have been fishing (at night) the falling water done at the winter bass spot. (we're done to 7,000).

Haven't done so well either:confused2:

I caught just one sm bass friday night and none last night. and these are intense crawling around the pipes to get to certain casting spots and throwing nearly everything in the tackle box at em.

Just goes to show you when you think you got things figured out -- you don't. I've done really well with falling water in the past.

one fun sight last night; saw a 30" some inch Northern pike resting in the night shallows, gave me the evil eyelid-less glare only a big toothy predator can give and ambled off when I lit him up with a flashlight.
    beautiful but creepy. somehow, muskies and northern pike make me feel kind of glad, I don't wade. and the big one make me feel like a nervous bluegill. I look forward to the day, I take him down with stiff 30# test and wire leader.
    but I think I need to fish in the day, to have a chance to a sight feeder like a northern pike.

hopefully this weekend, I can again pursue pike. and hopefully as the water level returns to more sensible levels in the river. my crowds of sm bass will return to my warm water hotspot. (hopefully, before mentioned Northern PIke doesn't EAT all the sm bass that come to the warm water).:tounge_out:

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jason get yourself a big black spinnerbait with black colorado blades and you will catch pike and or muskie at night. they should be fattening up now to get ready for the spawn.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    A picture says a 1,000 words.:smile2:

Lunker brown trout-25", the prettiest fish I think I've ever caught. pancake griddle brown. huge spots! fiesty.

Earlier today; someone caught a 27" 93/4# walleye just downstream.

Where else can you go from trophy trout to trophy walleye? Perhaps Erie-- but thats a rather special place too.

Attached Files:

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice jason, that would make a nice avatar, did you catch that after dark or is that just when ya took the pic

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i tried to rep ya but i gonna spread it around:confused2:

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    nice fish Jason keep em coming calms the cabin fever:wink:

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member