King leeches for Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by IMADREAMER, Mar 3, 2006.

1. IMADREAMER

IMADREAMER New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Has anyone ever heard of or used these? I think another name for them is "Mud leech, or Horse Leech"...
    Thanks and tight lines,
    Noel

2. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Yes I have used all sorts of leech's for fishing, but I have never caught a cat on one.
    I usually catch LOTS of Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass in Lake Erie with leeches, they are a GREAT bait for catching bluegills.

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have used them on rod and reel and trot line, Have had them set on trotline for three days nothing borthing them and on the third day took, two 25lb one 35, and a flathead, seem like they bit them at certimes,
    What I have notice the biger fish will hit them as well as smaller and flats as well as biues,
    Problem I had was keeping them, they will plug areators up and they can crawel in places you wont believe,
    bought them by pound out of minn. Their a tough bait , and when they will hit them their great, little more trouble fooling whith them than I like.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Leeches are a hot bait for Walley and Smallmouth Bass.
    I should give Jumbo leeches a try this year, I would be curious to see if Cats up in MN would hit them

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We went down to Missouri and tried to find leeches and no one had live ones. Bait store said no one down there would touch them. Great, this means no one is using them for bait so the fish won't be used to them on a hook. We brought some down with us from Iowa the next time and caught a lot of catfish with them. Keeping them alive isn't a problem, buy a leech tamer, a plastic mesh thing with two pouches, kind of like saddle bags only out of mesh with a Velcro closure on top. Put the leeches in the tamer and just throw that in your live well or in the lake. They will stay alive for a long time. Leeches have to swim through sand or something rough to pull the slime off their bodies or they suffocate, I think this is their poo. The bag does the job of the sand but the slime stays in the bag so you have to periodically clean out the bag. I also will toss in a piece of liver every couple days to give them a treat and keep them lively. If you keep them in cooler water and then put them in warm water they will ball up due to the difference of water temps so keep them in water close to what you will be fishing. If you keep them in the fridge you don't have to feed them but you still have to clean their water. You will want to slowly warm up the ones your going to be fishing with prior to going out for maximum length.

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We get some around these parts that have red or orange stripes on them and they get quite large. They work good when we use them wading and fishing small rivers for cats.When I say large I mean as big as your index finger and up to 8 in or longer. We cut a chunk off and fish it and a cat cant get it off the hook. Never have used one whole but I think it would work in places well.We find them around sewers and wet stinky mud holes near the bank in the mud. You can hunt them like night crawlers.

7. IMADREAMER

IMADREAMER New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Willy,
    Do the leeches dive back into a hole like a night crawler if you shine a light on them? You said you hunt them like crawlers, so I assume you hunt them at night.
    This really has my curiosity going...

Thanks and tight lines,
    Noel

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We used to hunt them when I lived in Minnesota. We would take piece of bloody meat or liver on a string and let them get on it and pull it up, take off the leeches and repeat. This works better with a beer in one hand as it is slow going. I want to hear how Willy hunts them as we were never very successful doing it this way but we got enough to keep fishing. We trapped them and got a lot but I wouldn't call that hunting them.

9. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I caught my biggest channel cat on leeches. (About 15 pounds) Get a desent size hook and put on 2 or 3 leeches. These guys will drive the cats crazy. Spray some blood on them to, this will help drive them crazy. Leeches also are one bait that is difficult to die. They last forever.

10. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The ones I am talkingabout would put a walleye fisherman in shock,I will have to do a search and get the real name for them,we just call them mud leaches or a local slang name of Rosendale mud leaches. We found them around some low water areas and they do not move too fast when ya hit them with the light.When I say how big they get I am serious about they get as big as your index finger,we collect them and put them in butter tubs with the mud they are found around and keep them in the bait fridge,just have to keep a eye on them and take the dead ones out and change the mud from time to time.I had a guy that was finding them in the Blue River in Kansas City when they were cleaning and dredging it several years ago.They work good on sand flats fishing for channels and it takes a sharp knife to cut them.Stays on the hook good.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i mainly caught bass but i did one time catch a nice 10 pound blue on a ball of leeches

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Mud leechs are some of the finest bank pole baits for channel catfish. You can put a small piece of leech about the size of your fingernail on a big hook and catch several big channels off of one bait over months. It is the least expensive way to bait for channels on bank poles and they catch big channels.
    They are hard to buy, most bait stores don't sell them.

13. steilburnr

steilburnr New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive Used Mud Leeches & They Work For Flats.

14. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Leeches work great you can order them off of ebay by the pound.

15. johnstone460

johnstone460 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Cats here in Iowa Love them!! Does anyone know how to find them besides at the bait store?

16. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can find them in small black dirt streams, right along the waters edge, around the end of the month of April.

17. WIcatter

WIcatter Well-Known Member

State:
    Plainfield, Wis

Never heard of King leeches. Ribbon leeches are the most used around here for walleye and smallmouth and tiger leeches are popular for panfish. So called Horse leeches are usually the cheepest 2 buy , but also the least desirable as most gamefish species find them undesirable.

Catching them is as easy as throwing some liver into a coffee can and them squashing the open end flat, but leaving one corner open a bit. At the other end, drill a hole and tie a wire and cord to the can. Toss the can into a likely habitat for several hours and retrieve it. The leeches crawl through the slot to feed on the liver. Most important thing is to be sure the waters you are trapping actually have leeches that are usable. Check out walleyehunter.com for more info on leeches.

18. NatiByNature

NatiByNature New Member

State:
    Ohio
    catfish def eat them. I either put two hooked through the head so they kinda swim all around. or I put them with a chunk of shad or skipjack depending on lake or river and its like big cat candy