king leachs

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by ol'catmandoo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ol'catmandoo

ol'catmandoo New Member

State:
    S.E IA
    awesome for channels but the baitshop in my area wants 15.00 a doz:crazy: for kings

2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    never had luck with leeches for anything but walleye and bass

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Kasey,
    Not sure about flatts but at times leeches work very well on channels.
    Larry

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not for flathead but I have had really good luck with channels but only during the spawn ... If you can find their spawning area float a leech on a slip bobber and for some reason the channels really attack it so I assume leeches are a natural predator for their eggs .... They don't mess around either, they hit it like a flathead does a sunfish, there is no nibbling or picking at it, they just inhale it on the run

I did find out where the flatheads like to spawn this year although they were all in the 6-12 pound range so maybe if I hit them right during the spawn like I did this year I'll try a leech and see what happens

Problem is I don't usually buy my bait, for instance this year the only bait I've bought is a couple dozen waxworms at Walmart in the spring for sunfish and I don;t have the faintest clue on how you'd go about catching or raising leeches

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont think i'd even hold a leech unless it was dead LOL. Have to get used to it.:wink:

6. gonecatin

gonecatin New Member

State:
    IA
    they work good for walleye, but dont know about cats

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    never tried em but id be willing to

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Leaches are a natural bait that almost any fish will eat. Channel cats on the spawn will hit alost anything near their nest with overzealous glee. I wouldn't spend the money for "store bought" live bait,when there is so much to be had for free,my top three flathead livebaits are gills,bullheads,and crappie,shad are right up there too if I can find any.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    wow, $15:crazy::crazy::crazy: There free in s.w. iowa nobody catches any thing on them so they come up to ya and say want some leaches there those knig ones and i catch walleye on them!!!

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Send a PM to lee -- hes a MO guy and has a supplier for good leaches cheap. He uses em for catfish bait and he gets some monsters in the osage with em.