king kels or gama circala

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 31, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    have no luck with gamma 8 on live bait, so i use 9 king kael 100 percent hookup, who votes gamas, over king kaels, just a poll me and dan wanted to post

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    6/0 gamma octopus

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea octo js, are good, but im debating circals, and kaels, for tightling, but seems gamma circals 8 ot let me down, they hookup half the time, but then they come off, them kaels seem better for both blues and flats, and yes i know how to use them, and to not fill the gap up with bait, im no newcomer

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I believe I'll vote for the "gama circala". :big_smile: LMAO

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good ol fashion "J" hooks. :wink:

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    King Khale. I fish across the water near the other bank alot of times and circles are not good for this, they just pick it up and come towards me alot of times.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I vote 100 percent gama Circle...I have no idea what a Circala is, but I think you are talking about a circle.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    8/0 gama octopus circle hands down

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Octopus circle for me.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 9/0 King Kahles for live baiting for flatheads.

I use 9/0 circles for cut baits for Blues and channels.

These combinations work very well for me.:big_smile:

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i vote King Khale 100% of the time live in 10/0 and cut bait in the 7/0 range love them

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    whats the reoson for my hook not setting in, on gammas, wen there the best, acording to yall, i know im doing something wrong,im leaving the hook and gap exposed and there not dull, im doing it how yall do it

13. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you had 100% hookup on Khales, then it sounds like you found your setup chief. People preach circle hooks alot and for me they suck. I just use J hooks and have a pretty good hookup ratio. I have never gut hooked one flathead in my whole life. I may not be Mr. Flathead but i'm no noobie, thats for sure. Go with what works for you.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i mainley was talking for blues, but i put it in here to, i wont go back to circals for flatheads

15. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    You are right sir... you are not Mr. Flathead beacause I am LOL!!!

Jacob I like the khales now that you got me using them but I still like the circles for Channels, I do have to say though, I was using Gama octopus hooks before I switched to Kahles and have NO complains other than the cost. I am using Kahles now only for the cost of them. Dont get me wrong, the khales have more going for them than just the cost BUT it is really nice to not pay so much for hooks especially when you throw away a half a dozen a night.

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am like Travis, I like J hooks. Ive caught 99% of my fish on them. Thats what works for me. I started experimenting with Khales and circles this year after reading about them, and im not haveing any luck, so I go with what I know. Nothing wrong with experimenting but after while i had to go back to old reliable. Im not saying anything is wrong with the others, jus not for me.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    right, like i say in my hole for flats the kaels are best for flathead, but i cant make a call on blues yet, onl fished twice for them

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the key with the circles is once your clicker starts going don't yank, just point the rod tip toward the water and start quickly reelin till ya feel the rod load up and once ya feel the weight of the fish and some head shake then thats when i give a couple hard yanks to ensure the hook is in deep, i used to use J hooks and made the switch to the gamma's, it did take some gettin used to not crossin some eyes but the gammas are strong, sharp, and selfsetting once ya practice with them

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used J hooks alot and still do, offset 9/0 for real big live baits and octo hooks. I like circle hooks for fast water and cut bait for blues or when I am to lazy to stare @ poles all night lol. Seems like the more I use the octo hooks the better I like em. But then again I ant past riggen a big bait with a 1/0 to 2/0 treble lol.

20. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i fish 8/0 octo circles on live bait or 10 /0 or up king kats for flats out west went out other nite 13 runs 11 fish with 3 flats at 20lbs each its all in the hookset i have confidnce in any hook if you use it rite