king kat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by yellingrebel78, Dec 23, 2009.

1. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    what yall think about the cabelas king kat rod I'm trying to find something I can afford but still work good and they are the right length and price is good $25 apeice isn't that bad I would love to be able to get some of the twc rods but don't have that kind of money espeacally when I'm going to buy 6 of them

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Brian there is some guys hear that do like them but i am not one of them i got two a few months back and first big fish broke one i took both back and got my $ back it might have just bin a freak thing may not happen with anuther rod but i just lost confadence in the rods real fast

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I dont own any but I have a friend with 15-20 of them and on his boat you dont bring your own gear you use his as there isnt much room to clutter the boat with extra gear. I have used the rods too many times and have never had any issues with them. The biggest I have caught with one is 40+ however I have witnessed my 2 buddies each catch a 60 on them. Of course at $25 they are not the strongest rod on the market. If you fish very heavy current or need to muscle a 60LB Flathead out of cover I dont think this will work as good as other more stout rods but if you fish alot for blues, channels and Flats in open water and/or moderate structure and are going to buy 6 at a time and dont have a big budget I would definetly recommend them.

4. Catman66086

Catman66086 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Brian you may also want to consider American Spirit rods (Catfish Connection has a number of styles). They have 1 piece options for just a bit more than you would pay for the King Kats. I have several King Kats that I only use for lighter applications because they are 2 piece rods.

5. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thanks yall I'm still debateing on rods just trying to keep my option open I'm suppose to be getting disabality and if I get a back pay I'll just get something good and I'll pay more but if i don't I'll just have a monthly check so I have to go cheaper I just want all matching rods since this is the only thing I can do any more

6. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I caught a 35lb flattie on a 7 footer.It handled it with ease.

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got a 7' footer, which I'm actually replacing. It's not that bad, overall feel (weight) is a little heavy maybe due to the thick handle. I'd like if the tip were a bit softer, but I think if I'd have went with an 8' I'd have liked the action better.

If you're buying a combo from Cabela's the rod's practically free. I didn't use mine enough to really comment on durability. I generally prefer 1 piece rods though which is another knock. If I keep it, it would be to use as a travel rod. It seems buit fairly well for the cheap price (hard to beat the cost); I don't like the reel seat that screws down from the top. I would have liked the discontinued one with the cork handle and other reel seat better...

shawn

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have 2 of them. One 8' and one 9'. I am extremely satisfied with the rods for the price. I have landed several 30lb blues on them. They seem to prefer 3oz of weight which is what I use for lake fishing so they are a great rod for me.

9. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to use them There allright. I would go with the TWC Rods even if I could only aford one or two to start

10. Jludtke

Jludtke New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I too use to use the KingKat rods. Not a bad rod but not good for stronger current. I would recommend considering the Tangling With Catfish rods. 7'6" blank- lighter tip for lighter bites but enough backbone to land the big fish in current!!! The TWC rods are a little more expensive but by far the better buy and can be used for Channels, Blues or Flatheads in no current or fast current. Good luck!

11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I agree with this post.

12. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thanks everybody I went ahead and ordered two of the american premeire nite stik pro trying to stay in a budget if I like them then I'm goin to order four more when I get my taxes