King Kat Chronicles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Cuz, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello from Florence Alabama. I thought I'd make a post so that maybe all the bro's from Missouri could hear how Cuz, and Cuzz's Ol man are doing at the King Kat Classic. I'll try and make at least one post at the end of each day for this tournament. My hopes are that some may learn from our experiences, and that some will make a post with suggestions that might help us. Anyhow, woke up yesterday at 3:30 am and made the 6 hour drive arriving in Florence at noon. We set up my dads Camper, and put the boat in at Lake Pickwick. First Mission - FIND BAIT. Ran 5 miles up river to Wilson Dam and proceeded to put 50 pounds of SkipJacks in the boat in an hour on White Crappie Jigs so bait was no problem and it was a blast reeling those things in 2 and 3 at a time on light tackle. We ran 15-20 miles up and down pickwick and quickly determined this wasnt the best lake for us to be on. Only averages about 15 feet deep. We pulled the boat out and put in at Wilson Lake just up from the dam and found all the deep water we could want. Its 50, 60, 70, 80 feet in lots of areas, and we even found holes with 100 feet of water. Didnt get to fish it much as it got dark on us. Today is our last prefishing day so we are going to hit it hard and try to find where the fish are holding at. Tournament starts friday and runs for 2 days so in my opinion today is critical to finding the fish. Using a Topo map and my GPS were basically looking for some relatively deep water, which has some structure and is holding fish. Then we just need to figure out how to get them to bite. Big Cold front is passing through so fish are on lock down. More tonight. Hope its not to cold back there in Missourah.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good luck Cuz, hope you find where they're hiding. And oh yeah, it's getting cold up here in Missouri! High 30's this morning.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm rooting fer ya' Cuz..Go get em' Brother!

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Cuz, Phil King caught all his fish a few years ago there with his "vertical trolling" technique in 90+ feet of water. Good Luck!

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    good luck hope you all find the big one

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Go Get UM Cuz. And Thanks for keeping Us Posted. J.D.:big_smile:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmmm maybe I should make a bait run sometime in the spring to load up on skipjack for the summer fishing. Good luck cuz!

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Good Luck Cuz!:big_smile:

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wishes you lots of good luck! My goodness how I wish I could catch a fish like the one you have in your avatar,be safe and have a load of fun--------Pat:smile2:

10. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good luck John, winds been blowing hard and their talking chance of flurries here by morning. :crazy: You’ll be catching the tip of the same front down there. Keep moving till ya find um bro. then keep putting some good fresh juicy bait in their face. I went out during this last front and tried everything and caught one but nice one on a goldfish, another at the ramp did the same, go figure, so might keep your bait arsenal stocked. Had a blast catching skipjack prior to that, thought I had some big stripers on, nothing fights better for their size. Hope to see ya win it John, maybe you’ll come home with a promo like the Cuz cat rod... Wish you the best, we’re cheering you on here in Missourah.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck Cuz on the tournament. We were qualified but unable to fish it:crazy: . One method mentioned above is drifting the deep water using your trolling motor. Another I was told about was to set up close to the bank and fish the deep side of the boat with one rod on each end of the boat thrown close to the bank. Use lots of skip jack heads for bait. Also if you have any 5 to 8 inch shad fillet starting at the tail up to the gill on one side leaving it attached then insert about a 10/0 kahle into the end of the filleted then through both eye sockets this will expose the gut pocket and is deadly on big blues. Good Luck!!

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Thanks for keeping us posted Cuz, didn't take you long to get the bait situation all figured out, now go get them cats. Best of luck to ya!

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck and thanks for the post. I will watching for updates, keep us informed.

14. Stewart23

Stewart23 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cuzz good luck in the King Kat Classic. Hope you and your old man show them how it's done

15. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Good Luck! And keep us posted.

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Good Luck Cuz.. Hope you guys get lucky

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks a million for all the encouragement guys. WE NEED IT. LOL. WE are certainly whipped already, and have two days of the tournament left to fish. Well, I didnt let you all down today. We put a good 80-90 miles on the SeaArk today. We hit the water tround 9am. (We slept In) We went to the deep water first near the upside of pickwick dam. We vertical trolled old channels, humps, creek mouths, submerged islands, flats, deep water rock bluffs, you name it. Not a bite. Nothing. Zilch. Did manage to snag a trotline though and that took an hour to untangle all six rods. What a mess. We spent eight hours fishing harder than I have ever fished. We didnt give up though. WE knew we had to find fish or face starting tournament day without a plan so we just kept at it. I told Dad we havnt even been marking any decent fish. I knew with the cold front passing, and fair skies, the fish would be held tight, so we motored 15 miles down to the tail waters of Sheffield Dam. Well, we finally found them. I found a hole with my lowrance down from the dam a quarter mile that had several stacked up in it. Only question was, would they bite. I dropped bait one down and it got smacked right away. 9 pound Blue. Second drop, 7 pounds. 3rd drop I got a 15 pounder. Dad got a 10 pound Blue, and in 30 minutes time we had 4 fish in the boat weighing about 40 pounds. I told Dad we needed to get out of there and that is our plan for tomorrow. Were going to set up on that hole and hope for the best. I'll let everyone know how day 1 goes. Thanks again for the help, and encouragement.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Glad to hear You located some fish. Good luck tomorrow, We're all pulling for Ya

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    good job cuz on locating the blue ,you did put them right back ,they might forget you caught them and bite friday ,good luck and glad to see missouri is repersented

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Good luck, Cuz.
    Hope you don't have any competition reading your plan here.....