KING KAT casting rods, by cabelas - Does anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    does anyone know about king kat rods by cabelas cause they kinda look cruddy and seem that way but they say there good? any advice?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one, it would be okay for smaller fish, no way would I use it when targeting big flatheads.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Hey dude, hows the toilet paper fort coming lol? I have seen them too though, and they are kind of flimsy. Good channel cat rod I guess. I would go with Flathunter on the big fish though.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah flats right, theyd make a good rod for fish up to 20lbs. a freind of mine had a couple and he hooked into some monsters with them, they held up but the graphite in them doesnt look to be the greatest. he also had problems with the plastic (ceramic?) inserts on the guides popping out. needless to say they wound up in a yard sale for $5.

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    My fishin bud caught a 25lb blue, 25lb Flat and a 38lb Blue in the same week with the ones I gave him....there is a thread under fishing rod review somewhere with a couple of those pics...I would imagine a lot has to do with just how big of fish your after...a monster Flat or Blue will probably destroy those rods but they held up to what he has caught so far.;)

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I suppose I should mention he was using the 9' King Kat Pro's.

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I used a 8ft King Cat Pro last summer and I hate it when I'm fishing for flatheads, it's an alright pole for channels. Think I'm going to get a tiger shark or a cat max before it warms up.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I have 2- 8 ft king kat reg. rods , the white ones. they are not graphite at all , they are all e-glass blanks, it says it in cabelas add, and people debated it in another thread, i sent an email to the customer service department and they had a manufacturing tech send me an email back confirming they are in fact an e-glass blank and not graphite. Dont let the $20 dollar price tag fool you. As for the problem with the eyes popping out, i put super glue all the way around each one of them , to make sure. I just got the rods this season so I havent been able to get a good test out of them yet, but I did get that 5 lber. in my avatar on one of my rods in the current at 435. Plus like itch2scratch said his buddy caught those big cats with them , including a 38 lber. Lots of people go there whole life without getting a 30 + lb. fish. So if you dont have the money to get a Cattmaxx or a Big Cat or a Ugly Stik Big Water, try the King Cat rods. I got the reg ones because they are easier to see at night being white with a chartreuse tip, they feel the same as the pros. The only difference is the color and the handle. (foam for the reg./cork for the pro.) They are rated the same MH and the same line class , and lure weight. I also got snagged up at 435 and put tremendous pressure on the rod with 40 lb. power pro , a 130 lb. SPRO swivel, and nothing gave an inch, I finally had to wrap my power pro around a stick , and walk backwards with it until it popped. I highly recommend these rods to everyone.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&parentId=cat20374&id=0002850

Read the second sentence in the paragraph , describing the rod in the above link.

I truly believe that anyone that had major problems with this rod , just werent taking care of it like they should. You bang it around in truck beds enough , your bound to lose an eye sooner or later. I use these rods for channels at the river and at the lakes, but if I hook into a good blue or flat, Im confident that if I lose the fish it wont be because of the rod. :)

Plus its a Cabelas product, its got a lifetime guarantee , you cant beat that.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Keith FYI...The King Kat Pro "Signature Series" is the graphite rod your hearing about...the regular King Kats and King Kat Pro's are E-glass, however they are not built as heavy as some of the other rods such as Quantum Big Cats etc, etc.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Just My 2 cent worth

I bought a king kat pro for fishing the lake for channel cats and wouldn't trust it for much more. It Is a bargan Channel cat rod for the $20 price, but as for an all out river rod this thing doesn't stand a chance. A fifty pound cat would simply shred that rod let alone anything any bigger. No way Your gonna turn a big flat away from a snag with a King Kat, just too whimpy!!!!!

But for $20 its a fine rod to take to a lake and fish for channel cats with. just don't expect to land a record class cat with it 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Most E-glass rod are made with up to 10 layers of e-glass and the glass walls are about 1/8 inch thick. The glass walls on these are about 1/16 inch thick and only made with about 5 layers of glass. They also use the cheapest fuji guides on the market and the guide spacing leaves room for the line to touch the blank under a heavy load. The fuji guide that they are using I refuse to use on any rod with my name on it. The blank is a E-glass blank but it is not a quality E-glass blank. I have a habit of checking into rods to a level that most will not. I have been given one of these rods and will use it for bass and flounder but nothing heaver. I did buy one and cut it into sections to check the thickness and the blank wall are not constant enough to be made by any of the top blank makers. There blank is made in China and the quality of the blank is not one I want my name associated with that is for sure.

12. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got to spend a little time with the man that has his name on the side of the rods and lets just say the rods were designed for the type of fishing he does and how he uses them doing it. While drifting and slipping down stream in current you have to have the pole in your hand at all times and be able to feel the pickup of the bait. Was he satisfied with them ,we never got to the point as to would they hold up for every situation but after spending several days with him I feel he would tell it like it is.You have to take in consideration that the price kinda reflects on how much you are gonna get out of them.Me personally I have alot more expensive equipment but I buy for the long haul and have spacific poles for spacific situations in mind,do I own any King Kats,no but I have alot of ugly sticks and e cats though and its kinda hard to get away from them as I have had good luck with all of them otherwise they would not be in my boat. Any one that has ever delt with big companys will tell ya you never get all of what you want out of dealing with them and thats the way it is.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    well i ordered a couple last week. the 7'-6" heavy actions . after reading this thread ill use the to channel cat fish with.for the price if they will turrn a 10 lb. fish they will be worth it.Maybe.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, you guys are scaring me. I have at least 4 new King Kat Pro rods & one new King Kat Pro Signature series rod that I've never used or that I've taken out one time. Should I hang onto them or sell/trade them?

Man, I am torn now. To me, they seem like they are a very decent Channel Cat rod & would even be good for flats up to say 20#'s.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, I would not sell them dont put anyone else through what you are feeling..I would break them in half and throw them away, before they cost you a big fish!;)

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Paul you are right, I emailed the man several monthes ago and told him what the king kat rod with his signature was a crappy rod.

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LMAO: Poor Bryan, Bryan could you film you breaking them over your legs for us, I think that would make a good video on the web site here. Please do not try this over your head though. I still want to be able to fish with you some day so I can learn your fishing tactics.

Jack your just not right brother !! :p

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd like to see a video of Mellon casting into trees first, then breaking his rods over his knees.
    Seriously Bryan, you may have the one in a hundred that is a good rod, let the fish break them, and keep whats left! ;)

19. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Bryan, those are NOT big cat rods but they should work ok for the Channel Cats. I gave mine away because the waters I fish hold some monsters and I didn't want to risk it. I will say that I never used braid on mine because the eyes looked to thin to me and the guy I gave them to is also using 20lb Big Game mono that I provided. I did keep the 8' King Kat Pro's for when I fish for Channel Cats...I don't use braid on those either. To be honest I was surprised those rods held up for my fishin bud with that 38lber. I was biting my lip the whole time watching him because that cat was putting a heck of a lot of pressure on that equipment. Those were his FIRST big cats but he had experience fishing the coasts which I feel helped him some. Use them for Channels and let the fish break them like NetmanJack said. I would NOT use the braid on them though..JMHO.

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I must say you all just made this easy for me. I will not be getting a King Cat Rod for my Birthday Thursday, I instead will be getting a 10'(she's going to kill me) Ugly Stick. I have two 8' rods that are great for channels that I only spent $20 a piece on, don't need any more right now.

Ray