King Kahle hooks, are they fish killers?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathunter, Feb 19, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just recieved my catfish connection order of 50 8/0 king kahle hooks, the seem to be very good hooks...I lost a few big fish on circles last year, so I thought I would give these a try..Although Circles will still be my main hook..However I have one concern..I have been reading reviews on Kahle hooks, and they are refered to as fish killers, and should not be used if you catch and release..These reviews state that alot of times the Kahles hook the fish very deep, ether in the gills or stomach..Now I want my fish to swim away, and not die, so should I use these hooks?.I know mellons biggest flathead last year came on a kahle hook, and it swallowed the hook, I thought this might have been a fluke..I would imagine using them like a circle hook, and letting the fish hook themselfs may encrease this problem...Which is how I really want to fish them..But I wont kill the fish, just for the satisfaction of catching them.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is one of the reviews.

Kahle hooks were in use for live and natural bait before the short shank live bait hooks became popular. These are deadly hooks, not suitable for catch and release. They hook a fish much farther back in the mouth, often in the throat or gill area. These hooks more often result in gut hooking than other hook designs.

Use these hooks where a 100% fish harvest is desirable. In other words, if you plan to keep everything you catch, these hooks work well.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you know i do seem to remember hooking a few flats in the gills back when i used kahles. only way to get them out was to remove from outside the gill.

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Jack, that is 100% bullcrap. I have used kahle hooks for years. I only CPR all of my fish. I have yet to kill a big cat. Whoever wrote that probaly has never used kahle hooks. The fish in my profile was caught on a 10/0 king kahle in the corner of the mouth. He was released and was in excellent shape.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I would agree with Slimcat. Kahles might have a slightly higher gut hook rate than circles, but the design is similar, with the point pointing in toward the shank. It's a lot safer than most other designs, such as a common j hook. My experience with Kahles has been pretty limited, but so far no gut hooks.

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I use kahle hooks all the time maybe one or two fish have swallowed the hook, but it was probally my fault for letting the fish run too long. I think its just a matter of the fish picks up the bait.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Flat

I've used "J" hooks and out of 94 Flats I've only gut hooked 2. One I did not know was a small Flat and just thought is was my bait movin around. It was on all nite and took the bait before it hit the bottom.

Circles r the way to go if ya hardly ever want to hurt a fish. The next step would be to remove the barb on the Circles. It just a matter of HOW FAR you want to take it, like never taking a fish outta the water???

Kahles have a great design for power to the point and gettin great penetration. Opinion: Personally for Tabby Cats I'd like to find a large "J" hook with a fine point and a smaller barb very near the point. I too have had a few get off where I think the hook did not penetrate far enough.

My 2 Cents

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used Kahle hooks for several years. I use them for all cats .I can only remember one flathead hooked deep , I let it run too long . When i tried circles for channels I gut hooked too many fish waiting for them to load the rod.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I believe that if a fish swallows a hook of any type, the fisherman has waited to long to set the hook, or the fish took the bait and just set there in the same spot and didn't move for a while. This is not the hooks fault.
    I personaly haven't guthooked a fish in a long time(2 or 3 years). So to say that "King Kahles" are fish killers is just wrong.
    It is human nature to blame something else for something that they (the human) did wrong. People need to take responsability for their actions and quit throwing blame in different directions to cover their short comings, JMHO!!!

10. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys:

I agree with JW on the Kayle Hooks not being "Fish Killers". I have used kayle hooks for years, and the only time I gut hooked a Cat was when I was using too small of a Kayle hook. I now fish with 7/0 to 10/0 Kayles only. But I am trying to target just big fish. Even doing that I catch Flats in the 2 to 7# range with 7/0 and always just lip hook them in the side of the mouth. I think if you want to gut hook fish use small hooks. They are the Killers in my opinion. And of course I agree that waiting too long to set the hook can result in Gut or deep hooking. If you keep your drag set fairly firm and use kayle hooks, they will self set like Circles do and always in the lip area has been my experience.
    Any time you let a fish run with Free spool or very light drag, you are asking for deep hooking.

Just my 2 Cents worth:

Gene

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Hey Jack, heres a little experiment that will help you solve this riddle. Next time ol mellon puts his samich down stick one of those big khales up in it. When he takes a good bite set the hook and post the results!!!!!!!! Now remember we want pictures!!!;)

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just may try that!!!!!!..I did it with circles, but I did not let him set the hook himself!;)

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've fished with them all year this year and only had one past the lips. It was in the soft part of the mouth right behind the lips and he was big enough it wouldn't hinder feeding so instead of trying to pull the hook out and injure him i released him after cutting the line off. I kinda figured if anything he just has some mouth jewelry. I just gave him a piercing. LOL

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack laughed at me for using Khales alst year. To be they seem great, becasue you can use them as a "Circle Hook" & let the fish load up or as a "J" hook & actually "Set The Hook". I guess I'll have to order some of the 10/0 Eagle Claws from CC.

On a side note, the Mellon hooking thing is sort of funny; last year while preparing my tackle, I took a Gama 8/0 Oct Circle & put it in my mouth, sort of trying to get the whole "Circle" thing, sure enough darn thing went right in the inside of my jaw. :p Yea I know: "Here's My Sign"

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I went to #8 to #2/0 KAHLE hooks for all fishing,as I lost the feeling in my hands.I had to let the fish hook there selves,as I cain;t feel them.I had a lot of gut hooking with j hooks.Seems to me that I not only hooked a lot more fish,but a lot more in the mouth with Kahles than j hooks.BUT,I could not feel the fish,to set the hook properly with either.peewee-williams

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The Kahle Hooks were the only hooks I used all of last season and I didn't hook a single fish in the stomach or gills. I'd say about 90% were hooked in the corner of the mouth. I used from size 4/0 up to 10/0 depending on the bait size with 7/0 being the size I used most often.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jack I second all the members that used Kahles with no problem.I have used nothing but Ks for over ten years and have yet to gut hook anything.Flats may be a problem if you let them swim with the bait to long or don't detect the take soon enough.Ks work just like circles and I use them set up and drifting.It is rare that the fish is hooked in the lips or mouth and not the corner.Whoever wrote that review doesn't cite any research so I would use your Ks without any reservation.:)

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've been using kahles of one kind or another since I've been after big catfish, which is about 4 years now. I can't ever remember hooking a fish anywhere except the corner of the mouth. Maybe one time in the roof of the mouth, but never once have I gut hooked a catfish. I gave circles a try for better than a year. My personal best was caught on an 8/0 Gamahoweveryouspellit circle hook. But I never caught another fish over 15lbs with a circle. And the one big one I did catch was barely hooked. I gave up on them a long time ago. I tried octopus hooks and just seemed to have way too many fish "let go" of the bait or hook. Kahles from 7/0 up have performed well for me. I really like the 10/0 hooks for gut pockets the way we cut them. I also like Gamahoweveryouspellit Big River hooks, but they are way too expensive compared to the Kahles. Just my thoughts.

19. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Well I guess you've got your answer now considering all these responses. There's a lot of experience on this board!

My experience has been the same as most everyone else. I pretty much exclusively use Kahles. I was bragging to someone last fall about how I've NEVER deep hooked a fish with Kahle's. Wouldn't you know it, the next trip out, I had a small Flatty sit on a bait and he swallowed it without me even knowing that he was on. That was a 6/0 Kahle. No hook is going to be perfect but they are far from cat killers.

As far as the King Kahle's, they are great hooks. They look intimidating to some people but I've caught 3 lb fish on the 9/0.

20. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Yes, the worm has finally turned for the eggman. All you heartless fisherman that use these merciless KAYLE hooks shouild be banned from the waters of EARTH!!!!!! These deadly hooks cause many catfish to die slow and horrible deaths, they roll around in the depths moaning and finally expire from the damage that these hooks cause. Whistler, throw all those bad hooks away, they kill fish man!! Please please, do it for the brotherhood!

from the land of TREBLE HOOKS AND LIVER.....

egg

:rolleyes: