king kael vs gamas

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jun 6, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not happy with gamma 8 ot, i dont see any dissadvatige to a king kaek, over a gamma 8 ot, they both hook them selvs, also kings hook deeper and wont come off, circals come off 50 ercent of the time for me, for flatheads cant deabate this on blues yet,just dont see how you can beat em, yet gammas no 1,i dont get it kings do the same thing, and you can set the hook, now i run one with a gamma tightlinind, 2 freesooled kaels, the kaels are winning

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Where you a little bit into the whiskey on that one?

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no i wasent drunk just tired, im trying to find the advantige a circle has than a king kael, they both setthemselvs

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can debate this question all day and its gonna boil down to what folks are comfortable with.i use both depending on size bait and fishing method.

5. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    if your fishing current use circles with your rods in rod holders and if not or fish are finicky and smack it but dont dont grab it and run use a hook u can feel for em like a bass then set hook on em i use circles all the time tho but u do miss a fish or two never missed a big one though because they always grab it and bow your rod double but little ones will hit it and let it go and it gets frustrating just do whatever works best for u, hope that may help some

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Right there is your answer! It's whatever you are comfortable with! Just because one person likes circles better or one likes kahles better doesn't make them the better hook. This is a choice every fisherman has to make for themselves.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the ting i worry about is i got a heavy action rod, will a circal even work in that situation,i got the heavy action to sling large weghts but im wondering if it will set with a heavy rod, so i put a king kael on it with a clicer,

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey jake.....I fish several different ways according to what type of catfish I am targeting. I have a couple areas I fish just for flatheads at night.....in these areas I use 7 or 8 rods stuck into rod holders and fished with live bluegills all night long. I flip on the clicker and have a seat in my chair and when I hear the clicker going off, I slowly walk to my rod and pick it up and flip off the clicker and set the big ole King Kahle 9/0 hook.

However, I have several other spots that when I fish them, I am fishing for Bluecats. I use 2 or 3 rods set in rod holders and "no clickers". I keep a small bell on to alert me to the first strike. It is important to see the first tap and then I get ready for the rod to start bending over. Once the rod is bent and staying bent or if it starts to pop and crack....it is time to pick up the rod and start to reel. I have really enjoyed using circle hooks this way. It has improved my hook ups on Blues. One other important factor is to not use too big of a peice of cutbait. A very large bluecat will hit a smaller piece of bait. If you use too big of a piece of bait....it might result in poor hook ups and less fish landed.

I also have a couple good spots to target channelcats.....but I target them the least of all. I fish with the same methods as I do for blues. Just smaller circle hooks and cut baits. I have had some really good days catching dozens of channelcats anywhere from 4 -12 lbs. But nowadays most of the time.....I am fishing for cats that can swallow a 12 lb. channelcat. I go for big fish everytime out now. I am spoiled, by catching a few big fish.....It has taken some of the fun out of fishing for smaller fish. However....I do still enjoy catching "BIG BLUEGILLS" on ultra light equip.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer the circles, but you asked this same question about a month ago.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    like i say im very forgetful dew to my medicen so i looked throgh the threads alot and i do find myself repating the qwestion sorry, i cant help it

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i mainley put this thread up for bluecats, i never hear of people freesoling kaels fo blues, and i dont get it, i love them they set in tight,some say they stahten out, but i horsed a 55 pounder with no bend in the kael, but blues are another story,

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    the 53 inch blue in my photo album, 10/0 KK. I use both, depends on stuff:eek:oooh:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    were you tightlining, i got a rod thats to stiff for a hookup, so im still debating freespooling