Kinda Cool

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Mar 28, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Yesterday afternoon I went out on the Ohio to do a little fishin, I was up in a creek catching shad with my castnet and after about 4 throws I somehow wound up with a 7 lb hybrid striper!! I thought I had caught a treelimb at first because of the drag but low and behold up comes a pi$$ed off bass:crazy:. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to actually catch one for real using some shad, but not sure if I was doing it right cause I never caught a thing. Anyone know how to catch these guys? I know he was after shad....and I KNOW there were hybrids in there thanks to mister castnet. (who needs a fishfinder)

Bill

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I did that before only mine was about 3lbs lol.Guess it's just one of those things i figure after casting out the net 50,000 times bought time i caught one.

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The striped bass have been running down here in WEst Point with folks catching 50 lbs per trip. They tell me they are using spoons or jigs with a minnow attached. I have caught them on night crawlers fishing on the bottom. They give you a really good fight and are a lot of fun to catch. I haven't eaten one yet, but hear they are really good!

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Are they trolling with spoons and minnows attached? or just pitching them out? I would imagine that a shad would work for a minnow....thanks foe the info!

Bill

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The folks I have heard from are fishing from the bank. I am going to try my luck tomorrow and hope they are still "running". They seem to be stacking up right at the Ohio and Salt River. My questions are: where are they going? is there a traffic jam going into the Salt and why are there so many there? are they getting ready to spawn? There is so much about the lives of fish I do not know. :confused2:

6. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I had to guess, I would think that the Salt river is warmer away from the Ohio. The Salt is a smaller body of water and has a great food supply. I would imagine that the stripper take advantage of the current pushing from the salt. The log jam may also have a lot to do with causing the back up of fish. I know thw white bass have been having a field day up around the log jam, maybe there lies the secret.

7. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Thank you John, makes alot of sense. By the way...welcome to the BOC.

8. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thank you! The BOC has been great, I have been introduced to several avid fisherman who have shared their knowledge on the lakes and rivers and the mighty catfish. I live at Fort Knox and fish west point often. This is my second tour here so I am not a stranger to the area. West point and the salt river seem to have a secret I have not uncovered yet. Fishing there can be very frustrating at times. It seems like the fish aren't there when you would expect them to be and like wise they appear when you wouldn't expect them. Either way a BAD DAY FISHING is BETTER

9. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thank you! The BOC has been great, I have been introduced to several avid fisherman who have shared their knowledge on the lakes and rivers and the mighty catfish. I live at Fort Knox and fish west point often. This is my second tour here so I am not a stranger to the area. West point and the salt river seem to have a secret I have not uncovered yet. Fishing there can be very frustrating at times. It seems like the fish aren't there when you would expect them to be and like wise they appear when you wouldn't expect them. Either way a "BAD DAY FISHING is BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!" I think I have heard that before somewhere! lol

Is the log jam still there or did the rising water clear it all out? Is it to dangerous to attempt launching a boat tomorrow?

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    John welcome to the BOC and THANK YOU!!!! for your service to our country. My brother and sister in law are in the Army and I have the most respect for those chosen to that higher calling. I would imagine if that log jam were to come loose during the rising water a person in a boat would be in a serious situation...it would be like playing Tetris with logs and a boat:smile2:. Besides I can't imagine there isnt ways around the jam under the water for the fish, but since it is sort of an obstruction the baitfish congregate and next thing you know there's a party going on.

good luck river1214rat let us know how you do.

Bill

11. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I have noticed large branches and logs coming out of the Salt and going downstream; was able to get a look at it today and it has definately decreased in size. Ironically, it is now in front of my house, catching on my neighbors dock. it is a real mess. The Ohio is muddy and has swift current. she is at 25 ft. going up to 28 before dropping; the only debris is between Salt and my neighbor's new island which is forming. the water temp when I went out Friday was 49 degrees. I haven't seen any boats out today.The phone number for the Salt River Boat Dock is 502-922-4065 and the gentleman's name is Ron Weimer. He will let you know the condition of the ramp and river before you drive down here. Hope this helps. :wink:

BE SAFE

Linda

12. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info, that number will come in handy especially saving me trip back and forth!

13. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Bill,

Thank you and your welcome!

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    This is something I had heard about Stripers on Ky afield . Don't know the truth tho . They said CHICKEN LIVERS ! Stranger things have happened . Have caught cats on spinnerbaits .:wink::smile2:

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Linda they are great to eat but like alot of fish be sure to cut ALL the dark meat out.

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My uncle lives close to and fishes taylorsville lake. he is big into float fishing chicken livers through the schools of stripers with loads of succes. we have had that conversation a few times.

17. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when you fillet a stripper make sure the red strip of meat is removed, also a game warden told me that most of the lake strippers were farm raised on chicken livers! I have caught several at cannelton on livers from the rocks near gate 1.

The salt river last night was decent. the water is up but fishable. the log jam is almost gone, it appears that about half of the original mess left. the small creek was up quite a bit and dirty but the crappie and white bass didn't seem to mind. small chartruese jig head and chartruese 1in grub, and we were slaying them. Caught one small channel cat on shrimp soaked in vanilla near the log jam. water temp was 52.

18. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    chicken livers???? whoda thunk that, I have been using shad and regular swim baits....may have to give that a try. These weird baits are getting out of hand, next thing you know we will be catching walleye on Totinos' Pizza Rolls with dipping sauce!:smile2:

19. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know about fish but you can catch me on a pizza roll!! lmao

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a friend that catches hybrid stripers all the time on chicken livers. I would have not believed till a few years back when he and I was fishing together and caught stioers on liver . We was fishing in a lake when we was catching them on livers.