Kind of new to catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steelytom, Oct 15, 2007.

1. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    I have been wanting to go catfishing. I usually fish murray for stripers and tried for cats there twice with little success. couple small ones. I just picked a point back in a cove on the east end. Is murray not a catfish lake, or am I just on the wrong end? Would Wateree be a better option? it seems like there is little talk of Murray on here. That makes me think it is probably not a good catfish lake. I used to catch a lot of flatheads and channel cats on the rivers in Pittsburgh, but fishing here is completely different. These fish only have two eyes.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, Tom :big_smile: There is one BOC member here (Tony) that works at Lake Murray (I think that he lives there or around there too) and he fishes it quite often. You might want to PM him to get the latest update on what's happening there. I have never fished Murray, but others here have, and have reported that because of its size it can be a difficult place to get to know. Of the reports that I can recall, many fish have been caught near/around islands, but the best that I can offer is to get in touch with Tony. Good luck & good fishing, looking forward to your posts. Keep us updated :smile2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

5. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    Thanks all. I know a spot I caught a few last winter. I caught them while drifting for stripers. That was in the winter. What is the best time of year for catfish in the lakes here in SC.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Your on a good lake you just need to concentrate on the major creek runs.On a huge open lake like Murray you can narrow your search down by treatin the big feeder creeks like individual lakes and put alot of time into learnin each one.The bigger deeper feeder creeks hold catfish all year so theres always fish to be found but they will move quite often.

The winter time is especially good for blues in the upper reaches of Murray.The bait really gets gathered up and so do the blues and stripers.

Thats about all the info I can share in an open post.:wink: Shoot me a pm if you got some more questions.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Tom!!

8. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tom,
    Welcome to BOC, I would have to say your in great hands with Mr. Blue, The mans a winner on South Carolina lakes.:big_smile: