Kimswick Dikes

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Manny, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Decided if Im going to catch a big fish I need to get on the Mississippi.
    Not trusting myself yet with my boat on the Mississippi, I new I had to find a bank spot.

Used Google Earth to find a few spots and decided on the Kimswick area. I seen a few dikes in walking distance. After about a half mile walk. I fished on the one near the little creek mouth. It seemed to be good and deep and there is a discharge pipe there that shoots out water about every 30 minutes.

I couldnt really stay put with 8oz. in the current so fished just inside it and barley held. Using cut bait I had one good bite about 7:30 p.m.

I got so excited I tried to push the issue by setting a circle hook:angry:
    O'well lesson learned AGAIN !

Has anyone had any luck in that area ? Any tips ?

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    You let me know Manny when you want to go out on the Sippi and I'll take you this weekend doesn't work for me, but next weekend we may be able to work something out if your interested.

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    hang in there manny, i know you will find a good one soon enough. now myself on the other hand.........well lets just say im preparing a space to put mikes trophy...lol

at least if i get stuck with the skunk i will finally be able to call myself an award winning catfisherman......lmao

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

Bull crap,,,, Brandon you know good and well where the fish are....lol Theres no dout in my mind you'll be off the list by the end of the month..

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i sure hope your right willie, because im having a hell of a time breaking that 20 pound mark this year.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've only managed to catch one fish on the Missouri this year. It was a blue that went about 5.......inches. I think I'm going to be a prime candidate for the Skunkmaster Trophy this year unless I can refrain from bowhunting to fish this fall.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    My bow is being put up untill I catch a good one, I fished last year up to the day before firearms season. So I do know there bite was on up till then. Its become an obsession for me now. My biggest last year was 15.5 lbs. and this year so far only one close to 10lbs.:sad2:

8. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Hey there Manny hang in there pal your time is coming sooner than you can expect it buddy. Just don't give up

9. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Manny,I fish the dikes down there all the time.I caught my first Mississippi Flathead by the dike where they used to park the Robert E Lee.This was before I had a boat,so I know banks in that area are good.To this day,I still run my boat down there.My P.B.,a 21# Blue, was taken from the end of the dike by the stone wall.You're in the right area,keep trying,they'll feed eventually.

10. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    My first quality blue was taken from the bank right there on the point where they had the Robert E. Lee. It was a 22 lber, when the water was up I use to catch a lot of cats right there from the bank. Funny but I have never fished that area again once I got a boat.:confused2: I don't think they let you bank fish any more. Last time we were down there we were run off by a guy on a golf cart. That was a few years ago though.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    At one time one was allowed to fish at Sulfur Springs, right at the RR tracks and could park right there. I don't know if it is still that way, but fairly close to where you are talking about.
    Sulfur Springs road is off 61/67 just northeast of the Barnhart exit from 55 hwy. Turn east from 55. As soon as you get to the "T" of 61/67, turn left (north). There is a flea market there and as soon as you get past it, turn onto Sulfur Springs Road to your right. Stay on it as far as you can. It will turn to the right, at the RR tracks. I would love to live there. It is a picturesque small town from the 1930's with the rare newer home now & then. Most are original homes. Totally secluded, yet near enough to the interstate. Doubt the population over 50. Rare find, so close to St Louis.

12. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey manny, i made some of those weights for ya. gimmie a call.

13. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I fished there a few days ago, with no problem. I parked pass the old bridge on a dirt road/path. I left the truck there and walked to the dike.
    I did see some trash on the dike like someone was there fishing recently. Im going to stay with it in the area and wait it out. I see a lot of asians churning the water when the big pipe lets the water go every 30 min or so. It has to be visited at some point and time with all the bait fish around. Ill have to give it a try at night soon. Just dont know if I can pull an all nighter with out falling asleep:wink: I do feel Ill catch something of quality there:big_smile: Just got to put in the time.

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I know some really big fish have been caught off of that dyke. It has a wicked current through there and you will need some heavy sinkers.

15. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Manny, I fish that dyke from my boat everytime I'm up that way and have done fairly well. 20# is the biggest so far, but several in the teens. I use a 5 oz sinker and let the current place it where ever it wants. The 20 pounder came from the tip of the dyke. I didnt cast out far at all. Keep fishing it, they will come.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Ah, a fellow DeSoto'an. Welcome to the BOC Ralph. Nice to have you on board.

17. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks CUZ. I've been here for a minute. I sent you a pm sometime ago about some big skipjack i was catching near the Holcim Plant. I was known as Slowbend then.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I remember that. We never had much luck Down there for the illusive skipjack. Good thing the kittens like Asians. LOL

19. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I believe that. I went back out after i told you that and they were gone. I felt like a liar. I wish I still had the pics. They were pretty big for this neck of the woods.

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Oh we definitely have them for sure. We use to catch them up by chain of rocks. I sure wish we had the runs like they get on the Ohio River. Great bait not to mention the fun in catching those things.