Kimchi

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Netmanjack, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love the stuff! Any one else partake of this eastern treat. I would like any tried and true recipes also. A friend of mine that served in Korea turned me on to it. It was kinda hard getting past that first bight, but then I was all over it. lol:big_smile:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When they make it they burry the jars in the dirt, thats where it should stay. Rotten cabbage WTF. ?

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was gonna ask what it was ,Now I aint sure I want to know,Jack:smile2::smile2:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Tanya, trust me. The real Kimchi is made with cabbage, garlic and fish. Its put in jars and burried to ferment in the ground. The American version is just cabbage in a fancy jar and they charge to much. Sauerkraut I like, only on a all beef dog with mustard and onions.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fish heads, Fish heads lol. Hey it is gooood ! I used to get Mama Kim's in gallon jugs. Took some to work once for lunch when I worked for the water department. My boss wouldn't let me bring it any more because it smelled bad! and this from a guy that worked in the sewer! One friend of mine took a liking to it so I got him a big jar. His wife made him keep it in the basement! lmao :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like it but have only had the american versions and not the "real stuff" I'd try it if I could though...

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

I have a stomach of steel and the real stuff would gag a goat. How do ya think they kept the north at bay? :wink:

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like it, but I like the extra spicey version. I dont know how they make it but my wife wont allow me to have it in the house.....I bought some at a Korean market, opened it and had to eat it outside. I was banned from bringing it in after that.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh yeah' Gary thats what I'm talking about. there is no in between with kimchi, you hate it or love it.:eek:oooh: I tried making some once but there was definitely something missing. I need a tried and true formula.:wink:

11. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah got to be spicey......lol I think I would have been ok, except when I opened it and put it back in the fridge, I guess it expanded and leaked into th fridge........big no no there.......lol

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya got to bury it and make shure ya keep it wet! :big_smile::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I actually made some of this stuff back in college as part of a Botany class. It was STINKY!!! I couldn't bring myself to actually eat the stuff.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gollyeeee Ozzy, I'm start'n to think you don't like it! lmao :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I work with a girl from the Phillappines, and she makes some that is rank! But it is really good and REALLY HOT. She also puts little slices of ginger in hers with the chili pepper seeds.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    My wife got a recipe from some Korean friends. I"ll see if I can get it from her. I like the stuff, but I've eaten just about everything anyone will call food.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Alright heres the story. Years ago I was a machinist. Part of the day I would work in a small humidity temperature controlled room. There was me, my supervisor and another inspector a Korean guy. This guy ate Kimchi 5 times a day, I dont thinkl he ate anything else. He would show up in the morning smelling of kimchi, first break kimchi, lunch kimchi, last break kimchi. He stunk up the place. My supervisor was getting ill from it so they made him quit eating it in the building. So off to his car for a kimchi fix. Problem was his breath could knock a buzzard off a crap wagon at fifty paces. He would burp constantly. They finally moved him in a room with the mexicans, these guys would fart all day from the beans and such. This was knicknamed the gas chamber by the rest of us. This is why I hate Kimchi. :angry:

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    lmao :smile2:

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    real kimchi. about 3 min in.

[youtubevid]NDrH6bBCbHA[/youtubevid]

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My ex-sister-in-law, who went with her husband to Korea when he was stationed there, made what she called 'fresh kimchi' which I thought was delicious. It wasn't 'the real thing' and it didn't have fish heads though. I used to say I'll try anything once but from what I've heard about 'the real kimchi',,,,,,,,,, I don't think so.