Kimber Grand Raptor Handgun

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by TRP1, Jul 31, 2007.

1. TRP1

TRP1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been thinking about Buying a new Kimber. Probably the Grand Raptor. I've heard alot of good and also negitive about Kimbers. Any Folks here with Kimbers and how do you like them.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a Kimber Pro Carry stainless. I like the Kimber. The quality is excellent. The only thing I disliked was the magazine, and the pistol only came with one....which I thought was kind of lame on their part for a gun that cost so much. The Wilson magazines and the right lubricant are the best solutions for problems with 1911's. The tolerance's of the Kimber are such if you do not keep it cleaned and lubed, you are going to have trouble. The service 45's got their rep for reliability from the guns actually being a lil loose. You could shake them and there would be a faint "rattle". A little play in the slide. Also with the Kimbers, you have to put at least 500 rounds thru it, to break it in.
    Be sure to keep it well lubed as you are doing it, especially if you get a stainless model. After that, you can carry it and know if you do your part it will do what it was designed to do. If it's your carry gun, be sure to routine yourself to a weekly pit stop. Lube drys out, an lint makes it way in....like I said, their tolerance is tight. They are "High Maintenance" like most pretty things. Look at Sig, Glock, Ruger etc. before you lay out them fishing dollars.
    The others don't need the care the Kimbers do, to shoot and be as reliable. And several are much cheaper also. My two cents.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a couple of Kimbers, and have shot many more along with having several of them on the range with students over the years. You can't beat Kimber for quality and price with all the options you get on one. You'd spend an additional 800.00 to 1200.00 to upgrade any other 1911 to get what Kimber gives you out of the box.

The only negative things I've seen with the Kimber are the newer ones with the new extractor. When the new extractor came out, there were several that had to be sent back to the factory to get the extractor to function correctly. I believe that that problem has been addressed by Kimber as I've not seen the problem with new Kimbers in about a year.

I've also had target competition 1911s also that haven't shot any better than my stock basic Kimber custom, yet cost more than twice as much. Go with the Kimber and enjoy!

4. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a ultra carry II and I love it, I am trying to sweet talk the wife into letting me get the covert but I havent won her over yet. I have to find something to spend my Iraq money on, but for 1500$ I cant blame her for fighting me on it.

5. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    It has never failed to function flawlessly, is accurate with both Federal Hydra Shoks and Remington Golden Sabres (may two favorite 45 ACP loads) and shoots to point of aim with both at 15 yards. I love mine.