Killing the fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by channel 27, Dec 20, 2006.

1. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd rather not clean the fish while still alive. ( Done it many times to crappie) Is there a way to kill the fish and not harm the meat? May be a stupid question but I can't learn if I don't ask. Also put a hammer to a catfishes head last year and a knife through his brain and he still was flopping like crazy is that just nerves or do i need to do it differently?

2. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I think about the only way to kill a catfish is put him in ice for about 24 hours and some times i dont think that even works. So what I do is clean him real fast and dont look at his head breathing in the gut bucket.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I just clean 'em. Gave up on killing them.

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I put my fish on ice as I keep them and they go to sleep. It works great for night fishing too because when I get home I just go to bed and clean the fish the next day. When I run lines I come home and ice the fish down and then go catch bait for the nights run. I will keep them on ice for a couple of day under two conditions, it's not too hot and I can keep the cooler in the shade and I got plenty of ice. Keep the water off the fish and keep them covered in ice and your fine. Plus they clean eaiser to me.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You can use an ice pick or similar long, sharp object to quickly paralyze and/or kill a catfish.

On a blue cat, there's a ripple on the forehead between the eyes. Insert the ice pick horizontally (pointed toward the tail) and shove it in about 3 or 4 inches. He may quiver a few times while you're doing it but that'll be about all he does.

6. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    smack em on the melon a couple time that will do the trick:lol:

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    With the white bass at Lake Nacimiento, the laws says you have to slit em and kill them if you dont you will get a ticket it caught... If you need to "put em out"... knife between the eyes. I usually fillet my catch of all fish... takes more time.... I just dont look at the eyes... thats the hard part.... Some cats "talk back" to you as you clean em... just ignore it....

bayrunner ray

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Since when did fish grow feelings? Man don't worry about it it's just the nerves. Mother nature is much more harsh. How would you like to be swallowed alive? hehe

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    true fish are here for us to feed on not morn over or sympathize for

10. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    just let them go so they can be caught again.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Get you a good piece of deformed bar about 3/4 of an inch thick and about 18 inches long. Wrap some bat tape on one end and there you go. One good solid wack across the head just behind the eye line will do it. BPS has them already made in the saltwater section. While this is not my prefered method it is quick and to the point. The fish I do keep are put on ice in a cooler and cleaned before I go to sleep and often before I even go to the house.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ball bat, brick, rock, hammer, ice pick, nail-to-tha-dome.....

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hang the fish head up and cut off the tail and allow the fish to bleed out (exsanguination). It may take a few minutes. It is a method of killing the fish that improves the meat. Once blood flow stops to the brain the fish is effectively dead and any other movement is just reflexive.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i gotta small oak baton i use, just whack them between eyes one hard time. It helps if end is drilled out and filled with molten lead. Also works as a "crook-be-good" stick! Formerly known as "Iraqi-be-good" stick!

15. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Perhaps someone should come out with something we could inject in them to just put them to sleep for good, kinda like they do with dogs. As for me I just slap em on the cleaning table, hold em down and filet away.

16. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    right i do it the same way as you nail em to a board through the herad and strip em while they're flippin around.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Are we now starting to become like those activists. looking for humane ways to kill the fish?:big_smile:

I slice them while they are floping.

18. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Brian some people just don't like to try and clean a squirming fish.
    I think if your going to kill a fish before you clean it bleeding is the best way.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I know that I am just having some fun. I use to be like that as well and just would put them on ice overnight and then clean them in the morning. It did not help that I was also too lazy and tired to clean them right away also.:big_smile:

20. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I used to beat em like a stepson. Never seemed to work. But a cleaver about an inch over the eyes and all reflex seems to stop. Don't need a lot of penetration either, just bust the bone parallel with the gills across the top the skull. Makes me feel better. I keep em in a aired tank and clean em the next morning. Don't get no fresher than that...
    :wink: