Killing poison ivy!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 23, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    has anyone had any experience at wiping out very large areas of poison ivy/oak? i am very allergic to ivy/oak! a few years back i purchased a small bottle of Roundup to kill off poison ivy around the house, stuff works great. just spray on leaves and it kills all the way to the root. however i have a spot i would like to clear out to fish that is infested with ivy, with very thick vines. need to clear out about 50x15 yards in length/width. to kill that much i would need to spend a fortune on roundup! thought about calling up the base commander here at Wright-Patterson AFB to do a fly over with some napalm, agent orange, or maybe even a daisy-cutter:D

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    dink, i am so allergic to poison ivy i can catch it by looking at a picture of it.....here is my advice....get your gas powered weedeater and wipe that stuff out...ALL of it... then go to the medical clinic and pay the 100 bucks for the shot and you are good to go for the summer...been there and done that - if you are REALLY allergic to it then the shot is the only way to go - after the shot you can wade thru it for 2 weeks - that is the time you need to wipe it all out of your fishing spot

and i wish you well in that endeavor my friend...you gonna invite me to your spot after you get rid of the ivy?:0a10:

4. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't really know what would be good to use around the water like that.I mix up a concoction I use around here at home that works pretty good but it wouldn't be very eco-friendly to use near the water.You might check out your local farm-ag center if there's one close, and see what they have.There are several things available in concentrated form you can mix with water and spray that works pretty good but I don't know about using around the edge of the water and how safe it would be.

5. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually have to get at least one of those shots a year, not to mention the steroid packs.:crying: I liked the idea of letting some goats do the work if you can find one.

6. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    So with this shot you wont get it for at least 2 weeks, or the whole summer? And also whats it called, my doc has never told me about it. Usually when i go in he gives me a steriod shot but i dont think thats the same thing cause ive gotten it again a few days after he gave me that shot.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sounds like you need a fishing buddy who is not bothered by it.He could clear places for you to fish.You would still need to be careful.I would weed it out by hand.for the East Tenn.kinfolk,when visiting.I am lucky.I can lay down and sleep in it.Have a few times.Caution!DO NOT BURN it and get in the smoke.It can blister your lungs,and cause your death.Luck.peewee-williams

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Roundup is primarily a herbicide for bladed plants like say fescue grass or corn.

A better choice would be a herbicide like 2-4D Amine. It is a broadleaf killer.
    It is not expensive. The last 2-1/2 gallon jug I paid for cost 34 dollars.
    That jug should last you for years when you are mixing a few ounces per gallon of water.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

I will second Mark J suggestion and go with the 2- 4 D. A gallon of concentrate not a RTU (ready to use premix gallon) should be plenty for that size of area. I sold Lawn and Garden chemicals for eight years and that's what I would suggest also.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Salt water but not sure what it would do to the water where you want to fish. There is another mixture that is found on the web but can't remember it at the moment. It's a cheap mixture and enviromentally safe. Research it on the web. If I remember it, I'll post it. Cheryl

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Mark J 2-4d is very weak on Poison Ivy. It will slow it down but not kill it. If you use a mixture of round up and 2-4d it will knock it out . Go to your local farm supply store and get the round up concentrate. Then mix it with water and 2-4D. Most farm supply stores have round up in genaric form now. Names like Clear out is one. It is cheap. Around 13 $ a gallon. A quart of concentrate with 3 gallon of water will do the job. Also it is safe around water and eco friendly.

We have went to round up for all of our beans and it works great for all weeds. Been using it for 5 or 6 years now. Going to use some round up ready corn this year.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Vinegar will kill it too.

13. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know if you cut the big vines at the root they'll stay dead.

but i guess thats out of the question for you!

also, where are you talking about fishing at on wright pat? if you don't mind me asking.

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL, That's what I said for 68 years....... then I one day I was weed eating and got it in an open cut... then it was in my blood stream.

The ONLY thing I found that cured it with one treatment was "Zanfel". I will never be out of that stuff again!

I use Ortho Poison Ivy/Oak and Brush Killer, it kills it completely.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I used to treat the stuff professionally. I found that Crossbow kills it with only one application. There are restrictions on it and you cannot use it near water. In fact the new labels may have a buffer zone restriction.

I have used goats to control it with good success. Control needs to be done before it blooms and forms berries. The birds eat the berries and spread the weed. If you own the land contact the noxious weed dept and they can provide the chemicals often at or near cost.

Poisen Ivy is just at nasty when its dead. The oil stays around for a long time. I do not recommend using a weedeater. The oil in the stem is about 100x over what you get from just brushing the leaves.

I recommend long sleeves, long pants, gloves, eye protection, and a mask to limit exposure. Take off clothes and wash in hot water at least twice with a good soap. Immediately shower using something that cuts grease. Do not use pumise based soaps. If the oil should get into your body the results can be horrid.
    NEVER NEVER burn the stuff if it can be helped. The smoke is toxic as the oil burns.

Best of luck

16. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've always been lucky as well.I can't ever remember getting it.It's all around here but I could sit down in it and be OK.My middle son used to get it bad,but he was also allergic to Summac and ceder trees.

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    worst experiences ive had have been when i have unknowingly got it on my hands and went to go take a whiz in the bush. 2 days later......well, you get the idea!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bearcat, you are right on the money. Most times when I am spraying I am spraying brush that includes almost anything and everything. I mix the two also.

There is another one I have used before that came in a one gallon metal can . It kills the vegetation and the ground for two years. It is often mixed with asphalt to prevent weed growth I guess in cracks.
    The name is on the tip of my tongue but Icant spit it out.
    Since 9-11 I would be surprised if you can still buy it without an applicators license.

For those that buy Rundup, go ahead and buy 2-1/2 gallons. Alot of people use it around their home so what I would do is go in halves to get a better price. Those quart prices are way too high.
    Also buy from an Ag center or fertilizer house.
    If you go somewhere like Lowe's or in inredient on their quart size concentrate and then go to an Ag center and look at the same container you'll find a difference. The box stores sell 1/2 strength Roundup for the homeowner.

As always, if you transfer chemical to another container make sure there isnt any labels on the container except the one you permantly put on it clearly stating what it is and place it well out of reach of kids and animals.

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you have a supply store that will sell it to you,
    ask for "crossbow". It's a great broadleaf killer.
    You also mix it with a "sticker". (makes it stay longer.)
    It'll kill off the poison in a day or too for the entire season.
    WARNING! this stuff is strong! If you spary a tree with it it will kill it off. Don't spray it on anything you don't want dead.

20. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    One thing I do now is always carrys some dawn dish soap in my tackle box. If I even think I got close to it I dang near give myself a bath right then and there, it seems to help quite a bit. Was told by a doctor any soap that is a degreaser will work.