Killing catfish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Dadoftwo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I drove to Keystone Dam Saturday night and stayed out all night til 8am Sunday. A couple of guys were by the wing fishing and I, my son and brother down from them about 50 yards. They caught a 60# spoon which was nice but after they left around 2am we moved down where they were to give that area a try. There were several cats lying up on the rocks freshly dead. I found two that were alive enough to put back in the water to let live. Some went up to 4# and the rest various sizes smaller. It really bothers me for people to throw catfish on the banks to die for no reason. My son asked me why would they do such. The only response I could tell him was they dont care enough about the fish to respect them enough to either let go or take home. I know there is nothing I can do about things such as this but I don't understand why anyone would want to waste nice cats for no particular reason. Well that is my gripe. Happy fishing everyone.

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well there may not be anything you can do after the fact, but in the future program your local game warden in your phone, and be quick to react and get tag numbers also so you can report in a quick manner the next time, you might be thinking to yourself that the warden wouldn't want to deal with such petty things, but i know first hand with my warden their is no such thing as petty

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Yeah people are really lame and have nothing better to do. I hate nothing more than when people disrespect any animal or fish in any way. Really gets my blood boiling. If they were going to take them home to eat more power to them but...leaving them for dead is stupid.

Tom

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Some folks just weren't raised rite. One can only hope that they will get thiers one day.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That is a sad thing for people to do. Talk about people who should have their hunting/fishing permits revoked. But, I guess in some states, catfish are considered to be a prize, right up there with carp or zebra mussels.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Last week when I went to Keystone dam for the first time, I saw a pile of sandbass laying up in the rocks that someone left. Dont know if they were just forgotten or not what the person was fishing for. I saw atleast a dozen drum in the rocks also as I walked down the bank. I understand how frustrating it can be to catch a drum when you are expecting a big flathead, but dang, why kill it. All I caught was drum the four nights I went:embarassed:, lol.
    Im probably headed back up there to work next week. Maybe I will have better luck.:big_smile:

7. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I understand killing big head carp,and other species that are destroying a habitat,but even when you kill them you should return the remains to the water to feed the cats.If nothing else I don't want to smell all the dead fish under the dam.Thats my take

8. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The lack of respect for all fish species shown by the under dam fishermen is why I do not fish there anymore. The unruly crowds and poor sportsmen keep me away.
    However since I go there to cath shad for bait, I have met and learned form some great people, How to throw a cast net, how to keep shad alive, etc.
    Great thanks to all of them and just let me know if you want to fish for CATS.

Email is open and I am ready.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is just disgusting. Most states have 'wanton waste laws' I would be contacting a game warden and taking tag # for sure.[theres also a program ,here in N.M. called Operation Game Thief] That will give rewards to those who give info that leads to the arrest and conviction of any one poaching. and callers remain anonomous

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Like mrwhiskr, I don't fish below dams. Trash, dead fish, rude people...

It's enough to gag a maggot.:angry:

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome to the BOC mrwhiskr! You have joined up with the best and biggest catfish organization in the entire WORLD!

Enjoy! Lurk or post. You can't help but to learn something and become a better fisherman.:wink:

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    to the brotherhood!:big_smile:

13. CWYNDN

CWYNDN New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have never seen anyone just toss them on the bank to die... but I have stumbled on to my share of fresh carcasses laying on the bank. It seems as though some folks have no problem fileting them on the bank, taking the meat and leaving the carcass to rot on the bank.... That is so juvenile and very irritating :angry:. All I can do is hope that those guys will one day get caught or just grow up. Thanks for the post and good luck out there...

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Oklahoma has those same programs and the game wardens will arrest any fool that is caught littering the bank with the remains or dying bodies of fish. The penalty can include a fine, revocation of license, jail time and loss of equipment and/or vehicle.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had this issue on the bank this summer and almost had a vacation to the county country club over it...........Kid and Dad:angry:

16. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am always taken back by the rudeness of some folks...I don't understand the thinking process behind some of the individuals that do this...Either they just don't care enough about others and don't need a lic. to fish or hunt...Or they are doing it purposely to provoke others...Not real sure just please know here in Illinois if you are near me and I see this kind of activity,
    1.) I will confront you on it and try to educate you as why not to do it
    2.) I will not tolerate you leaving it there fish or other Garbage..
    3.) If you don't want to cooperate with me and get rude or dis-courteous to
    me I will turn you in to the Game and Freshwater authority or local
    law enforcement to get this resolved...

Just not right in my books...

17. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How sad. Some people just don't get it.

18. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As for me Im Not vary good at holding my toung and I thrive on Confrentation So Id be the one to Say someting,I could not just sit there No Way:angry::angry:

19. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    THIS IS INTERESTING ...EVEN IN THE BOWFISHING WORLD WE ARE TRYING TO EDUCATE OTHERS ABOUT UTILIZING THIER FISH . I NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER THROW THEM BACK .ITS AN EYESORE ,ITS A NEGATIVE ON BOWFISHERMAN AS A WHOLE,AND DADGUMMIT THEM BIG GAR ARE GOOD EATING . THE CARP AND BUFFS ARE GOOD CAT BAIT AS WELL . IVE ALWAYS GOT MY 55 GAL BARREL ON BOARD MY BOWFISHIN RIG JUST FOR THAT REASON . WEVE MADE STRIDES BUT THERES
    ALWAYS NEW GUYS WHO DONT KNOW ANY BETTER AND THROW THIER FISH AWAY AT THE RAMP ,WE SEE IT WE CALL THEM OUT ...
    I KNOW SOME GUYS MAY NOT APPROVE OF SHOOTIN ROUGH FISH BUT ITS LEGAL AND A LOT OF FUN ..
    IVE NEVER SEEN ANY FISHERMAN DO IT THATS A NEW ONE THERE :confused2: MAYBE THE GAME RANGER CAN ASK ...

20. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    me and my two boys are from cleveland,and from time to time fish below keystone.its worthless to find more time to pick up broken beer bottles,hooks,wrappers, trash,cans,etc.etc.etcbefore you can even enjoy the view,muchlesss fish.never seen fish on bank,justparty favors.sorry you had to see the results of junkfisherman