Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Killing a stand

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hct236 
#1 ·
How long do you hunt a particular stand? I usually hunt a stand no more than 2 days in a row in the fear that I'll kill the stand if I stay longer and try to wait 3 or 4 days before returning to the stand. Do you believe you can kill a stand by hunting it for long periods without a break?

#2 ·
I believe so. I've had stands that I hunted a few times, and I took a friend or my son and set up a climber a hundred yards or so away and watched deer come out of the thicket and stare in the direction of the stand. They obviously got wind of me when I was in the stand and were avoiding it. I'll hunt a stand a few times and then move a little to take advantage of their suspicions. They come off their beds and walk right by you paying attention to your old spot and not where you're at now. I like hunting with other people for that reason. Keep em' guessing.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I figured this out a long time ago when I would always see a lot of deer the first day or two and would pass on smaller bucks because I was seeing plenty of deer and I knew that sooner or later a bigger buck would come thru, then not see another deer and end the week buckless! Since I started "resting" my stands I usually get my deer.
This can also be used to pattern deer. Up where we hunt there is a thicket that runs thru the property. It is usually full of deer but it's a mountain laurel thicket and you about have to crawl to get thru it. If somebody's normal stand isn't producing deer, you can set a stand in there for a few days just hoping for a decent shot, but on the third day set up in the open about 50 yards from the thicket and sure enough usually catch one slipping thru skirting the edge of the thicket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.