Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Killeen area fishin (central texas)

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  vini 
#1 ·
My girlfriend lives in Killeen and i've been there twice to visit and may be going again here soon is there any good catfishin around there that you may know of i want to take her and the kids fishing.

Thankyou

#2 ·
I haven't lived there for a long time but Belton Lake and Stillhouse Hollow are excellent fisheries as is Cowhouse Creek.If you have access to Ft Hood they used to have a great fishing dock on Belton and there are many small lakes on the base.I admire your priorities when you say you have visited your girlfriend twice and MAY visit her again if there is any good catfishing around there.Thats what I call a fisherman!!!!;) It might be wise NOT to let her see that post however,LOL :)

#3 ·
Hey Jim she knows how i am about my fishin.

Yes we have access to the Hood she works there;) I know fort hood is big, been on it a few times but never thought about looking into a lakes there.

The MAY part of the eqaution is that this is very difficult doing long distance relationship and we had planned for her and kids(3) to move out here to California BUT the older son decided that he'd rather stay there and made a vain attempt of suicide (manipulation) in order to stay, so those plans have been disrupted and possibly even cancelled out so i'm undecided about whether to continue this relationship any further, it's been over 2 years and i'm not wanting to move so as in chess we are at a stalemate, end of game!

Thanks for the info

#5 ·
Knighthawk said:
I live in Temple, Texas and fish Belton all the time. If I were you I would launch at Belton Lake Recreation Area (BLORA), it is a Ft. Hood facility, rent boats, have a fishing dock and is on Cow House Creek arm of the lake. If you want more info let me know. Knighthawk
Belton lake is great for cats I had a old guy hook me up with a good spot launch from BLORA and head straight out across the lake there is a small island.the water is really deep around it about 35-45ft the cats are holding up close to the drop off. like the guy told me don't get turned around the lake is big and very easy to get confused.

#7 ·
Hello. This is my first post, but when I saw this thread, I had to reply. My wife and I work for the Corps of Engineers. We run Winkler Park, up at the mouth of the Leon River. It is a small fishing camp. We have 14 campsites. We have to check people into the park, and open the main gate at 0600 and close it at 2200 (1000pm). This leaves a lot of time for fishing.

We met several catfishermen when we first came here. They introduced us to jug fishing. Up till then, we had just pole fished. My wife loves to fish for white bass, but when we pulled our first big cat in, off a jug, she was hooked on catfishing. We don't have a scale, so we don't know or care what they weigh. We were only using 5 or 6 jugs last fall, but we caught 20" and up every time out. Our largest was a 27" fish, and he was our first big one.

I have fished the Cowhouse up around Blora, but it is too far now, unless I trailer around there. And I don't see the sense in that, when I can fish about 300feet from my front door. If you have access to Blora, I would say to go for it. You can also fish several small lakes on Ft. Hood (at no charge, I think).

Anyway, if any of ya'll are up around my area, come up and fish or just visit.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for all the comments and help i'll be heading out on the 31st of this month and be spending a week with my girl and the kids and promissed to take them fishing, her boys and youngest girl are really excited and so if my girl she's never been fishing and has always wanted to go .

First thing i'll hit is the sportsmans club on base and get maps and info and licenses .

Thanks for all the help

#10 ·
Thanks guys for all the comments and help i'll be heading out on the 31st of this month and be spending a week with my girl and the kids and promissed to take them fishing, her boy and youngest girl are really excited and so is my girl she's never been fishing and has always wanted to go .

First thing i'll hit is the sportsmans club on base and get maps and info and licenses .

Thanks for all the help

#11 ·
Fished Belton lake and we got skunked but had a good afternoon out anyhow.

Bought my girls kids poles and the older boy a license and some gear. We did find a cove where the blue gill and crappie were at but the hooks I had were a tab big for the small size blue gill but they had alot of fun TRYING to hook them:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.