Killed by lightening on Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jk888, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Here is a link about the man that was killed by lighting last Saturday at Mills Creek Marina. This is just to renforce the need to get off the water when a storm is coming up. According to the article the storm clouds appeared a longs way off in the distance.

Jim

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8624249

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Man that is just mind boggling that no one else was seriously injured, just that one boy. Prayer go out to his family & friends.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have always heard that lightning can travel in excess of 15 miles from where it started until it hits a ground. If I remember right, on a large lake, that's just about to the horizon. So, those clouds don't even have to be close. You just have to be standing on or near the ground and ZAP.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sad story.

It is amazing how one person can be killed and someone a few inches away is not hurt. It all comes down to who completes the path for the electricity to follow.

One of our own BOC members theolfatcat was struck by lightning earlier this year in a catfish tournament. Luckily he and his partner were ok.

The worst storms are the ones that form right over the area where you are. The ones you can see coming give some sort of warning, but when a storm boils up right around you it can become dangerous FAST!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I saw this story last week. There was an EMT at the ramp that just so happen to be camping there and still couldn't help. If its lightning I try to get off the water as quick as I can.

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I was about 1/2 mile from him when it happened. Very sad! The bad news is he does not get a second chance. The good news is WE do. The moral of the story is Get Off the Water BEFORE It Gets Bad. Storms can brew in a hurry this time of year. IF you even think it might get bad, head on in in advance. I sat in my living room overlooking the lake Saturday and watched many a fool stay on the lake while there was lightning in the area

7. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brothers and Sisters,
    We only have ONE chance for safety, If you hear thunder at any distance, This is Gods warning Get to safe ground, Not only is the lightning a threat but there may also be huge swells coming your way. The fish will still be there after the storm.
    Prayers go out to this family.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I read a news article that in the same week he was struck by lighting, 4 others were also killed. Don't remember much of the details, one was a young woman jogging at Virginia Beach, one was a young man who took cover under a pavilion at a picnic and the lightning curved under the roof to strike him. Think one was on a golf course, and can't remember the fourth one. But, it will put a crimp into your day.

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We had a storm come through our area Friday night with lots and I mean lots !! of lightning. They said on the scanner that the lightning was 10 miles ahead of the storm itself !!! It just dont pay to stick around and try to out run one of these storms on the lake. Ten miles is a pretty long reach !!!