Killed 5 this afternoon.

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Me and a buddy took our dogs out this evening. He's had a farmer calling him, needing help to try to get rid of a bunch of hogs. Neither of us had ever set foot on the property before, but we took a 4 wheeler, 6 hogdogs and went to check out the situation. Mercy..... the hogs were destroying some beautiful riverbottom country. The destruction was absolutely unbelievable. When we started seeing some hog sign, we dumped 3 dogs to try to start a track. Nothing for abou the first 20 minutes, so we loaded the main strike dog we had on the ground & dropped a different one. Bingo... immediate pigs. She bayed up about 300 yards north of us, but it was in some unbelievably thick cover. On the way to the bay, we kept running into hogs, and most of them had a different dog behind them. They'd bay and break... bay and break. So we just started shooting hogs on the way to the main bay. By the time we were done, we'd killed 4 hogs in about 5 minutes & still had them running all over the place. The dogs were tired and we were nearly out of shells, so we decided to call it a day & get out before dark. We barely made it back to the 4 wheeler and we had another dog strike a hog. This time it was a caught hog before we could ever get there. Got there & stuck that one, then had to get all the dogs rounded up one more time and back to the 4 wheeler.

It was a very successful hunt, and a happy happy farmer. I'm really glad we took the rifle this time. If we'd had 2 rifles, we probably could've had twice as many dead hogs. This isn't our normal method. Normally we bay the hogs, send in catch dogs & stick the hogs with knives. This time things just worked out differently & it was effective.

2. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds like you had fun

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerrod thanks for sharing your Hog Hunt with us. You tell a great story. You made me feel like I was there with you. Congrats to all of you. Sounds like you will need to make a few more trips to that land, and clean them all out.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    They would be some good eating. Wish some of the farmers around here would let us hunt hogs.

5. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    sounds like ya'll had a blast.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Man, that sounds FUN:wink::smile2:

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I would've been squealing happy to been involved in that hunt:smile2:

Did the farmer give you a invite back to get some more hogs..

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    yeah it looks like we're headed back there tomorrow afternoon after church. Hopefully we'll do quite a bit more damage tomorrow. I'm taking the AR15 tomorrow and he's bringing plenty of ammo. We're also bringing a different set of dogs, that'll be a little more rested.:wink:

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    DITTO:big_smile: