kids

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beaneye46, Feb 2, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have a three year old daughter, that i dont want to grow up being a sissy girl thats afraid to touch a fish. shes never been fishing before, but i'd love to take her somewhere and catch some yellow bellies or bluegill. my first fish ever caught was a catfish. i was too small to remmember, but i have a picture.
    is three too young?

2. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i started my boy at 3,took him blue gill fishing at a small park near us.ever since that day he has loved fishing.i say take her and let her decide how she likes it.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I hope not!!! I'm starting my boy out this year and he will be two and half this spring. IF they can walk, wear a lifejacket and have fun with thier old man. I say go for it!!!!
    We just need to make sure its safe and fun for them, and don't over do it in the beginning.
    Oh yea..... I still gotta get the wife sold on it. :eek:

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I showed my son how to cast and set the hook,i will teach him to bait his hook this year maybe.he will touch his catch too

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i could tie a rope around her and let her catch a 40# flathead.:)
    just kidding

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Take her!!

I have a daughter that is now 14. She took her first deer at 12, then she got a nice 16" eight pointer last year, and she has been pulling 3-6 pound cats in the boat the past year.

She ain't no sissy girl! As a matter of fact, she has a few boys at school envious.

Take your girl, but make it a no pressure deal. Take some candy, some games, and some toys. Don't be surprised if she gets bored after a while and wants to do something else. THAT IS OK!! Forget about yourself catching any fish, you are now a guide!!

The biggest thing is that you are spending time with your kid. Those will be memories that will last you a lifetime, and as she gets older they will be memories that will be with her forever.

Little girls need a dad just as much as a boy does. Those little girls that get attention from their fathers dont go looking for that male attention when they get older.

You will be doing far more for her than making sure she is not a "sissy girl." Let me warn you though, once those guys fiind out she can fish, you may have a lot more hanging around when she becomes a teenager!!

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't get to do a lot of things with my kids,because of the way I drank back then, and the divorce that resulted. Last spring my youngest son got me started fishing with him and his kids. His daughter has been goin with him for 4 or 5 years, and his son was 3; it was the first year he went much. I really believe the Good Lord gave me a second chance! Before, the drinkin took all the fun out of everything. Last year I got it all back. Nuff said fer now! If you don't take them ANYTIME ya get the chance, ya may never know what ya missed. And even sadder, they may never know either....without YOUR help!!!

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I have a 3 y/o Grand Daughter. Got a small goldfish pond put back. Took a stick and put some kite string and a cork on ( no hook). Sat her down on a rock and gave her the pole. She knew just what to do. She swung the line in and was fishin. Told her Ma, look I'm just like Poppa !:grin-big:
    She hasn't went fishin' for real yet be she will be this spring.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Aint never to young to take kids. Just got to have a little patience and enjoy.
    I took my 2 Sons camping when one was still in diapers. both caught their first fish. I camped with them 2 days before my wife joined me and before the weekend started. We had camped fixed up for the weekend.
    Last summer My Grand Daughter caught her first fish at 3 years old. It was cool. She was interested for a little while. Enough to ask questions and get her line in the water with a cork and small piece of worm. Then she got to throwing rocks in water, , looking at boats on lake and stuff. I looked over and saw her cork under water. I told her, she remembered what to do. Reel that 1oz bream in all by herself. I dont know who had the most fun, her or me. I know I sure slept good that night. She wore me out. I was trying to find the pic on my puter to post. Maybe later.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    3 y/o Courtney fishin' for gold fish !

Attached Files:

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    By all means, take her! I remember the 1st time I took my oldest daughter (who is now 31): she was about 6, and she found a stick that she tied some line to and spent most of the afternoon throwing it in and retrieving it out of the river. I fish with all 3 of my daughters ( now 31, 30, and 21), whenever I go visit them in San Diego.

12. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    They are never to young to start! My son was about 6 mo old when I started taking him & daughter was about the same. She is now 13 and loves fishing with her old man & never fails to let the boys know she can out fish or hunt them any day and has the pic's to prove it. He is now almost 5 yo and would raise holy he!! if I went without him. He has been using his own rod since about 2 1/2 and now can cast pretty good with his Zebco 33! Has his own rod set, tackle box, and baits his own hook. Loves going with the old man and never is ready to go back home.

I bought him a Snoopy set up to play with at home. Let him practice casting & learning how to use it in the yard. He wore it out the first 3 months. But he learned to cast and is now pretty good for his size! I then bought him the Zebco 33 & a decent 5 1/2' rod for actually fishing. With a decent set up they will not get flustrated so easy,

Like was said above. In the beginning don't even take your own rod. It's all about letting them have fun! Besides it's fun to act like a kid their age and no one laughing at ya! They will never forget those trips and will grow up wanting to spend time with you, instead of hanging out at the Mall. Also realize they have the attention span of a knat! Let them take toys, snacks, drinks, etc & just enjoy the outings. They will come around, you'll see.

You will never regret the time spent letting them learn.

Frank

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't want to ruffle no feathers with this, but ya cant beat a trotline already baited up to spike and hold their intrest til they see a few fish!

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Take her now. I used to take mine after work one at-a-time, starting around 2-yrs (now they're 20 & 22). I didn't have PFD for them, so I put the dog leash around the waist and lashed 'em onto a big rock at the river or to the dcok at a little pond we had access to. Canepole & waxworms, sandwiches, drinks, catching bluegills, channels, carp. They used to know who's turn it was to go, even before I got home. Don't spend too long, so they won't get bored. Have a great time.

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I started mine early too. Both my daughter (now 4.5) and son (now 3) could ID most gamefish at age 2...before they could count. I have a couple nice books with colorful photos that they still love looking at. My daughter caught her first fish (crappie) around 2 yrs old and my son got his first bluegill this past summer. The girl is very impatient so she takes along her "My Little Ponies" and loves playing with the worms. The boy just stares at the water waiting for the chance to hold a "boogill".

Man its great!!!

16. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    like the bumper sticker say
    take a kid fishing!
    It is something you 2 can do when your old and gray.
    Bill

17. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I have a 9 month old daughter and an unborn son. I plan on taking my daughter some time this spring. I bought this outdoor play pen that has a mesh net to keep insects out.,etc. Once she gets a little older I will let her fish for herself and decide if she likes it.. The boy though.......he probably wont have much of a chance to not like fishing. I will try to pass as much as I can to both and take them both if they are interested. I am ready for 2006 fishing season.!!!

18. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Take her fishing.I took my six kids fishing at an early age.Youngest is now 34 and a girl.They all enjoy being outdoors hunting and fishing.Just remember that when they go it is their day.Do'nt push the fishing part of it.Enjoy seeing things through their eyes.The first time out they will be interested more in what is going on in and around the water than actually doing the fishing thing.
    After catching a fish they will either want to hurry and get another,or inspect every part of that fish before letting it go.If she wants to keep it,make an issue out of letting her have that special fish to eat.They take a lot of pride in that.
    My oldest daughter brought it to my attention that a sunfish really is a very pretty fish of many colors.Before that I really did'nt think of them that way.
    Kids are the greatest gift a man can have.It is all too soon that they are grown and have children of their own.Cherish every moment with them.

BILL

19. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I take my kids fishing in the morning and take along a 5 gallon bucket and aerator. Whatever they catch goes in the bucket, and I use it for bait that night. Everybody wins.
    Rat

20. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    That says it all!:)
    Frank