Kids Stuff

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bkraft, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bkraft

bkraft New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I need a dependable, cheap reel for my son.I had thought that the 33 Zebco had fit that bill until Friday night when my wife and son locked up two of them. One of them was on its second trip out(it's on its way back to Wally World) the other is at the curb.
    Would like to stay with a "push button reel" it will be used for eater sized channels.
    Thanks for your opinions, experiences and advice

2. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    The "Country Mile" spincaster by Johnson is a nice little reel. I have several I use for bream and have'nt had any probs.

I also saw on a link from the BOC for Abu Garcia products that they manufacture a spincaster. Might be pricey but if it's made by Abu you would prolly get your moneys worth.

The older Zebcos were nice dependable reels. Quality has really fallen off on all the Zebco products in recent years.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you might try the shakespere tiger combo they got at wallmart. ive heard some good reviews on it here. they are a little bigger than a 33 (too big?) and they got i think red blue and black.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would have to agree with him, but they are quite a bit bigger than the 33 but they are very good R/R combos we have caught fish up to 25 pounds on them and have ot had a problem

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Johnson Maxxum and the Zebco 808 & 888's have held up well in the past as cheap dependable reels.I would try to find out what caused and why my reels locked up.The cheap modern bearings (ball)so touted now seem to be what is locking up in many of the new cheaper reels that I have looked at.A cheap ball bearing is trash.It must be babied and pampered to have any chance to work,must less to survive.A unshielded or unsealed ball bearing exposed to grit is a goner.Even when it is cleaned out,it is has already been badly damaged.The cost of oil for plastics(Nylon bushings).Also the cost of brass and machining has much to do with the demise of bushings.Good ball bearings are smooth and fast,but not as strong,nor will they take the punishment of bushings.The terms 'old fashion" or "modern" mean nothing to me in my beliefs in bearings.Durability and dependability are my major criteria in bearings.I spent 46 years studying,learning and using bearings.I still do not have the knowledge to make the claims I see being made by folk a day after they purchase something with "bearings".They seem to believe that it has to have "Balls"to be a bearing.Why?Because some New York City Slicker at a desk says so.He does not know any better either,but he sure sells reels.My old Japanese made,mid 60's,Daiwa Millionaire came with Brass bushings,two internal sliding unadjustable reel brakes and external adjusting knobs on the end of each spool bushing.This is proof that Daiwa and the ones that copied it thought that reel spools were too fast with the old Brass bushings,even before the speed of Nylon bushings.They were already automatically slowing down the speed of the reels spool.If I was not going to shell out the money for a reel with really good quality ball bearings,I would buy a Zebco 808 with brass gears and brass bushings for around $20.00 and hope they are still being made sturdy.I see that some are still advertised as being made of such at catfish connection.The ones I bought like that over 30 years ago are still going strong with their original parts except for replacing the small "O"rings under the handles and re-gluing the internal rubber ring with "Gorilla Glue".I have done the recommended "cleaning,lubing and preventive maintenance" that was recommended.These reels were heavily used in fresh and salt water over this time and spooled regularly by large saltwater fish that consider your catch "bait".These are the reasons that many of the old reels are being heavily sought after and are bringing premium prices today.I wish you the best of luck in your quest.We often forget that "Over kill" is far more sturdy and lasting than "Under Kill".I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. bkraft

bkraft New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Funny that so many of you guys mentioned the tiger combo. I was at Wal-Mart today returning the trashed 33(they took it no questions asked) and I was looking at that very same set up; the tiger package. Too big for my son but he might get one of the still working 33s that I have on the place and dad my upgrade.
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I bought my wife an Zebco 808 and it has pulled in a 5 and 9 pounder. Works good and for 19.00 you cant beat it.

8. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished with the "new" Zebco 33's for two years now and have not had a problem with any of them. Here's the thing, you have to put new line on this reel first. Like Trilene XL 8-10lbs test. and only fill the spool to a 1/8"-1/4" to the top. The factory line is JUNK, strip it off and trash it. Most problems with these reels can be traced to cheap factory line and too much or too little line on the spool. I use the 33 Platinum for white bass, small and largemouth, walleye, and cats up to 5 lbs.with great results, and I'm talking up to 60-80 white bass a day during the run. Both of my kids also use the 33 Platinum with no problems, there simple ,tough and well designed. My 10 year old brought in a 6 1/2 lbs. channel with hers with 8# test and a 5'6" med. Ugly Stik. You have to set the drag too, don't think you can crank in a fish like a winch.Pump the rod, pull and reel down. I use the Prostaff 888 for big cats in the 15-30 lbs range, again set drag and change the line. Hope this helped.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ya didn't say how old the boy was, but have used several of the Johnson Tangle Free reels for kids, an for the dirt cheap price, not bad an good for the small hand kids.

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Thats what my 7 yr old has and he LOVES IT!!!

11. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    The Shakespeare Tiger combo at Wal Mart is a great, simple reel that I think he'd really like. Keep in mind you wouldn't really be able to cast lures with it if he's into that though. If he wants something really versatile you could probably get a Shakespeare Synergy combo for about $15. My favorite push-button reel is the 33, but I saw that you didn't really like those.

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm kinda curious as to what model of the 33 you had. I've got a Platinum model also, and I'm going on my third year with it with no problems. From my experience, its just a good as my older ones. For catching those eater size cats, I love my 33s.

13. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I have used the 33s for many years also. I love them for the kids. I would agree that the quality has dropped off some, and would also agree that the line that they put on them new is junk. One other problem that I have had with them is that the back cover comes off. I bought three of those combos last year for my son and I and we only have one left. The plastic part that goes through the middle became worn and then the back would not stay on. I have never used any of the other combos mentioned above but I did buy the Abu Cardinal combo that they have at Wally world and it has become one of my favorite all around combos, but it is probably a little pricey for a kid to use. But I would say that it will hold up.

14. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I have two children and we fish every day of the week. I bought them the rsc3 rhino combo and have not regretted it. The neighbor boy has tried every thing in the book and broke them all....just trying to be different. He now has a rhino. We have had our Rhinos for over three years and just now the bearings are starting to get noisy. I'll price ball bearings but odds are, the cost and time will be more than just replacing the reel. By the way...these reels have been "dunked" more than once and one of them spent four months on the bottom of a pond....the ball bearings are shot but the rest of the parts are ready as spares. I.M.H.O. the only upgrade from these reels would be the Omega "Z0" series.

15. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When my wife decided that she was going to start fishing with me she went and bought one of the Shakespere Firebird combos from Wally World for $12.00. That rod has caught probably 200Lbs. of skipjack (some that were in the 2-3lb. range) and landed atleast one largemouth ba$$ that was a little over 3lbs. and about a million perch. This combo has been working 2-4 days a week for about a year now with no problems yet.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if u dont want zebcos an tiger combo is to big johnson is the way to go.ive got 2 johnson centurys that ive had for years.they still work fine.

17. willfishforfood

willfishforfood New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    go to a flea market and get an old 33,202, or even a 404. make sure its in decent condition. i love my 202s that i have.

18. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am a big supporter of zebco, my kids started out on the 202's and moved up. A good one for your son if he is just fishing for smaller fish is those small zebco ultra light combo reels. But no matter what reel you get you have to teach him about the drag. I have used the 33's and the classics for many years, I have brought in cats a little over 12lbs (my pob) with my 33's, and 6 plus lb bass. I have used the same reel for 7-8 years with no problems, I do grease them every spring, and change the line regularly. I agree with the other post about the factory line being junk, generally thats the first thing I do with a new reel is change the line. Glad to see a parent passing on the great sport to the younger generation. Good luck and happy fishing.