Kids snagging for spoonbill in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by rudepossum, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am sure everybody probable knew this , but I did not. I was at Conner's bridge yesterday on the neosho river and had a young man snag a spoonbill on his catfish rod. It got me wondering how he was suppose to tag it since he was young enough to not need a fishing lichens. So I had to call ODWC to find out. If a person is young enough to not need a lichens they still need to get a free paddle fish permit. So in case there is one other person out there that like me did not realize this than make sure ur child has the free paddle fish permit. Dah! sure glad the didn't stop us last year when I had all 3 of my kids snagging with out it.

2. Bottomdragger

Bottomdragger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would thank you for your info but not sure how? Fill me in on the process!

3. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeppers, you need a paddlefish permit. And if you have not got one yet, I would suggest that you get it online. It's so easy at the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife website. It took me only like 5 minutes or less to get my licence, my paddlefish permit, and my 8 year old son's paddlefish permit.

Also, don't forget, that if your kid is fishing from the bank, they need a hard hat and life jacket on. I'm not totally for sure about this regulation, but was told it was a rule or law at one time. And, it just makes good sense to me and my son does not mind it. My 8 year old has an old hard hat that has been customized with lightening bolts per his request!:smile2:

4. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Lars; just hit the thanks button at the bottom right of any post that u want to say thanks for and it will post ur name under the thread. And again welcome to the BOC.

5. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Troy; The only place that has the hard hat rule is the Miami park that I am aware of,but like u said if you have a child with you when snagging from the bank it is a very good idea. thanks for posting.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    David y the hard hat rule incase thay get hit with a big sinker:confused2:

7. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm pretty sure it's to keep them safe from sinkers like you said. Truth be known, we should probably all have helmets, saftey glasses, and life jackets on.:smile2:

I know of a guy who was hit in the eye by a sinker, bad deal.

8. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    wow... I did not know any of this.. I appreciate the info as well as Lars.. but I dont see a Thank you button at the bottom of the posts... maybe bc of not having enough post counts

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes.. this was the reason why i was not able to

10. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My son usually wears a hard hat. I had kind of decorated it a couple years a go with some lightning bolts and such. The other day when it was raining, I shot a nice new coat of paint on it and put a few home made decals on it. What do you think??

Attached Files:

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Neat hat. I hope he catches a big one this year.

12. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    That's a nice looking lid Troy. That has to be a lucky fishing hat if I ever seen one. Hope he hooks a big one, and thanks for the info this weekend

13. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    I think you need to maybe make some balll caps like that. you might be able to sell them here on the boc Its a thought

14. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I made some stickers the other day like that. They are about 4" X 6" with a Spoony on the top and the words "Bill Hunter" underneath them. I brought a few with me the other night and gave them out at the cleaning station. They seem to be a hit. I guess I should make a few more! :smile2:

15. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well... It wasn't a big one per say, but we did hook into a monster the other night. We went down Friday night to Miami. We caught this one which was around 48 grams and then caught mama which hit the scales at around 48 lbs.

Attached Files:

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The boy and I headed to the Bend on Saturday...man the wind was terrible. There were 4 foot rollers and that was on the river. The snagging was super just the right amount of current to get them stacked up. I've help my son before snag them and let him reel them in with help. This year he threw the baitcaster well and snagged his own pretty good. We had all the 15 to 35 pounders we cared to catch for the day. I didn't get too many pics since my camera phone didn't have much memory. Fun Day

Attached Files:

17. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Excellent pictures,what a fun day when you get to catch fish with the boy.

18. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Man thanks for the pics guys. Nothing better than seeing the younguns on the river.