Kids and tools

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BKS72, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Some people play golf, some people knit, I fish and when I'm not fishing I'm usually working on some kind of project - boat, car, lawnmower, whatever. Anyway, I have 2 boys, one is eight and the other is 5. Both are always wanting to help and I generally let them. Eric, my 8 year old, is actually very good with his hands and pretty sharp. I've shown him how to solder, to check a circuit with the meter, etc. I let him run the air riveter for me, drill holes, and use the impact for me when needed. I let him weld the other day and was telling someone about it and they looked at me like I was nuts.

My Grandpa was a pipefitter and he let me strike my first arc when I was 5 or 6, so it just seems natural to me to let the kids help. They have the appropriate safety equipment for whatever they're doing - gloves, safety glasses, etc, and I don't let them use any of the tools (or even in the garage without me since they know where the tools are:smile2:) without supervision.
    I've been in construction and industrial maintenance for 10 years so I'm familliar with good safety pratices and know how to safely and corrrectly use the tools I'm letting them use

My question is - Am I wrong for letting the little guys help out and learn how to do these things? I don't think so, but I've been wrong before:eek:oooh: I've just seen too many adults who consider changing a light bulb a major project and I really want the boys to be able to do things for themselves when they're old enough to decide if they want to or not. They're also handy to have around since they can get into so many places I can't to work on stuff:smile2:

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I think kids should learn all they can at as early an age they can.My kids have been in school since they could walk.the benefits are this I have 2 that ace their work without trying now.

My wife wont let me teach them to use tools and such but my son is 9 now and knows how to use a drill and screwgun.So he is starting to learn.

Heres a sad story I help with Webelo scouts -3/4 graders and some have never changed a light
    I say Good Job.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Branden, He!! no you ain't . Reps to ya for startin them boys off on the right track. My daughter [11] is wantin to learn to shoot an hunt an I'm doin the RIGHT THING.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, mine go hunting with me (not much of a chance sneaking up on anything with those two, but we still enjoy it:smile2:) and Eric has spent more nights on the MO river in the boat than a lot of guys I know.

5. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I am 15 years old. My dad is a auto mechanic and when I was about 6 7 years old he had me help him alot. I used a impact when I was about 7. I don't think it is wrong for you letting your kids help you. All you are doing is teaching them safety and technic. You are doing no wrong.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Some of my best memories are when I was your oldest sons age helping my Dad work on cars, roof houses, fix the boat. I cant tell you how much I have learned.Id say you are right on track.If you dont show them now they may never get a chance to learn.Kids nowadays are usually lazy, so you seem to be a lucky man that they want to help.

7. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    Teach them all you can so they have a head start on every one else. Experince is to key to solve any problem and its sounds like your giving them plenty.

Funny story when my brother was 3. My dad was puting some new plates on his truck. When he got to the back plates my brother came around to him and handed him the front plates he just put on. My brothers 18 going to be 19 soon and he can fix most vehicles better then most certified mechanics. If you ask me i would say its because my dad and grandpa gave him a early start on learning to fix vehicles and how to use tools.

8. Fireman4c

Fireman4c New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My girls are 5 and 7 they both know how to use tolls and fix simple things. More pepole need to teach there kids tools of trade. Americans are lossing more and more jobs every day for the simple fact that these young kids dont know how to do manual labor and I think its becase they have never been shown how to do these things. I hate driving in town every day and seeing a 16 year old kid driving a brand new show room car or truck. My dad loaned me $1500 for my first truck a 1968 for truck with a 390 in it. Man that truck took some TLC every day but my dad was always there helping and teaching me how to do it!!! Anyway I running off at the mouth but this is a very sore spot for me. I applaud anyone who teaches there kids Tools of Trade!!!

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Branden,
    If you are doing wrong that I am guilty of the same wrong. I let my 5 year old son in the garage with me as often as bed time and homework will allow. He already has plans for what he wants to help dad do tomorrow night since it is not a school night. He helps turn wrenches, uses a drill with a little help from me. I am careful with him with power tools and air tools that may have the potential to cut or pinch. He thinks the pneumatic rivet gun is the coolest thing in the shop.:smile2: My little 4 years old girl is doing her very best to keep up with bubby and work out in the shop with us. She looses interest fast and goes back to mom but that will change in a couple years.:big_smile: Little things to us are a big deal to them, its all new to them and that makes it fun.
    I see nothing wrong in teaching kids and letting them help out. Its better than sticking them in front of the TV to watch God knows what or a video game to play games. When weather permits mine are on the water almost every weekend.
    The wrong occurs when people don't take the time to teach and let the kids help. Usually because they think they can get more done without the little distractions and all the questions. Might be true but look back at that in 10-15 years and wonder why your kids would rather do anything than spend time with mom or dad.
    Reps to you for teaching you boys and not just letting them learn on there own. When they learn on there own we as parents minght not like what they have learned.:0a36:

Thanks
    David

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    You're doin the right thing. If kids can pick it up, and learn it safely, they're ahead of the game. Safety is an issue, but I bet they get better supervision than kids get in school. If they enjoy it, its good for you and them too.

11. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    the more that they can do for themselves and not have to depend on other people the better

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I can still look at my hands and remember what scar from what mistake. I still have all 9 1/2 digits ,dont ask me about the other 1/2, still cant find it.:roll_eyes:

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    This one post is all I needed to read and Rp to you
    Dont let anyone change a thing your doing.

You aint wrong. You keep doing what you do and them boys will be right to choose their way when they grow up.

my hat is off to you for teaching your boys the right way. it aint age , how young or old. Its how you teach it.

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Seemed to be doing fine to me? I can say this, they have the "taking apart" down pat :smile2: :smile2: Like a few other have said Branden, if your doing wrong then there are a few of us rowing that same boat :wink:. Now get the welder out and get some welding done! By the way, hows the "sparkley rocks" making out?

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my dad did the same with me i think its good for them to learn about useing tools some people nowadays dont know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck no ya ain't wrong. The biggest problem in todays society is alot of parents don't/won't spend time teachin kids anything. A boy like yours will someday be fixin your car, rather than you tinkerin with his bike. No man has ever drown in his own sweat, and teachin a kid to work is the best favor you'll ever do for them. Reps to ya Brandon, sounds like ya started em rite.

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "..Am I wrong for letting the little guys help out and learn how to do these things?"

Oh "hale" no!!
    You have no idea of the numbers of adults I have met who would even be hard pressed to change their oil. It's sad.

Just keep a close eye on them so they don't remove parts of their body and watch out when the get older, they might do things like use the diamond blade to cut a car in half in your drive way... Don't ask!:eek:oooh::smile2:

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wrong? Heck no! Like you, thats how I got started. I cut my teeth on wrenches and "65" GTO parts. Its always been my hobby, and how I have earned a living all of my adult life. I dont think enough people let their kids help out with stuff like that, Its easier for them to let em play on the playstation or computer (electronic baby sitters) than to teach them how to be self sufficient with a tool. Keep them boys in the shop when ya can, its better than the alternative in so many ways. Its something they and you will always remember fondly. Good job dad.

19. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Ok Branden:

You've actually brought up a point that's pretty close to my heart. Sadly, I fall into the latter category of your post, I'm one of those people who can't hammer in a nail 'cos I was never shown how.

A friend of mine back in Ireland, (his name's Paul) is totally the opposite......I mean, if you gave him some timber, cement, bricks & plaster, the guy would build you the TAJ MAHAL & what's surprising is, he's ENTIRELY self-taught. He's got the worst spelling & handwriting imaginable, but what he lacks literally, he makes up for academically.

He's always admired the way that I've been able to speak clearly & write & spell properly & feels very insecure & lacks confidence for the same reason. A woman work colleague of mine who I've told about this (who's pretty educated) told me that he may be dyslexic, but that dyslexia is a condition that has only come to light in the last 50 years or so. Prior to this, people with learning & spelling difficulties usually showed aptitude in other areas.......(like building things for example).

I know I'm rambling on a bit in this post Branden, (apologies), but my point is...... your sons have someone to show them how it's done, in days of old, THAT'S how it WAS done.....the father passing his knowledge down to the next generation & it's a philosophy that's stood the test of time for many centuries. The problem with today's "politically correct" approach to things is that children have to learn "properly" <----(yawn)...... I say what you're doing is a labour of love & therefore the law of NATURE!!!!

You obviously love your sons very much, so just carry on with what you are doing & if any do-gooders try to tell you otherwise, just tell 'em to go take a l-o-n-g walk on a short Pier!! I just wish that somebody had taken the time to show ME how to do it way back when, but alas, that was not the case. My father was putting in all the hours he could to keep a roof over our heads so it wasn't his fault.

Good luck & reps to ya bud.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My boys usually scatter when there is work to be done so I spend a lot of time in the garage by myself. I started getting the boys out and having them change the oil and rotate tires etc. (under my supervision) because they need to know how to do those things. The youngest (13) will usually disappear back in the house mysteriously before the job is done. He always says he thought we were done:roll_eyes: (funny, when the truck is still up on jackstands with no wheels on). The oldest boy (15) likes doing it once I get him off his behind, thats the biggest obstacle.