Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by nuthinlikeacat, Feb 10, 2006.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    ANyone had or have any advise on Kidney Stones? I have two, one 4 mm and one 5mm, and at times the pain is unbearable. The Doc prescribed Vicoden for pain, but because of the addiction factor I take them spareingly. I've heard they can take up to 2 weeks to pass, and if they don't I may need laser treatment? The Doc also told me to drink around 2 1/2 quarts of water to help them pass. I dont even drink half of that now and I still use the restroom almost every half hour. I've heard of Herbal treatments but don;t know much about them.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Not much you can do to keep from having them but they will tell you all kinds of such to stay away from that will less them. So far since I was 18 I've had around 40. After you have so many they aren't as bad really, yea they do still hurt but I now know I'm not gonna die before they pass. I keep a pain killer at home so if I have another I can just take it and try to sleep it off until it passes.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    sorry to hear that nuthinlikeacat. I hope everything works out for ya

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    river,
    The thought of having that many scares the he!! outta me!! Although I kinda knew what is was right from the start, I still thought I was gonna die. Does a change of diet halp at all?

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    You might try drinking massive quantities of an adult beverage. My not help you pass the stones, but at least you will not care when you do or don't!:rolleyes: I feel for you brother.

Frank

6. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Kinda like passin a cuckelburr, huh? I've had em four times since 93. Drink LOTSA FLUID! The last time I had em, One of the old Amish fellers told me to drink Cherry juice. Dont know if that helped, but it did pass. And it tasted better than cranberry juice.
    Folks ask me if I have any kids an I tell em no, but I've been in labor several times. lol

Laser huh? I've never been offered that. Last time I was told if it didnt pass theys gonna reach up in there with one of em flexible parts grabbers an yank it out. I opted to pass it.

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Had my first one a few years ago. I remember the first time it plugged me up I was on the floor crying like a baby. Thought I was a gonner for sure. (not very manly but true.)

Had to have mine broken up. it was 4.5 mm. It dawned on me later that is half of a 9mm round! worth the money for the breaking up.

I was told to cut back on the coffee and make sure drink plenty of water from here on out. If you keep the kidneys cleaned out there will not be as much sediment to make boulders out of.

Just what the doc told me.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    had em 6 times first time it hit me hard i was on my panhead rough road ridged frame lol so you can imagine how that felt. cut back on milk drink lots of water everyday dont over drink the water though or you can wash your system out of nutrients. coffee and cafanated drinks i.e. tea sodas with caffeen will dehydrate you and make it harder to pas the stone cranberry juice cherry juice and some of the other juices will help to. good luck i know the pain your feeling.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I changed my diet for about two years and passed 4 more so I give up on the diet. The doctor said there was no way to keep from having them if there was he would stop having them also.

10. mitchell

mitchell New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had one last year about the size of a basketball. The medicine didn't do anything for me. They went in and got through surgery. Then they put a tube in attached to a string to prevent clots. The string is then tied around your "member" My advice is to give the string plenty of slack before you go to bed. I woke up about 5am and was about to strangle myself. Good luck.

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    cant stop them from forming but sure can slow them up some with diet. depending on the circumstances me i have a high calcium levels so i form them real easy so i cut way back to the point of no milk at all and i only get one every few years or so. sure hate it when they start in though.i had one a year ago this month first one in 4 years so i feel the diet thing is helping me some.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
  13. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I drink 6+ cup's of coffee a day.A doctor once told me that my chances of getting a kidney stone are non-existant.He said it was because of the high acidity quanity of the java I consume.Has anybody ever heard of this senerio?The people I know who have passed kidney stones were coffee drinkers.

14. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i dont know about that but they told me to cut way back or quit drinking caffeen drinks it will dehydrate you. and that makes a stone that much more painful

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wait til they measure your stones in cm instead of mm. I got one in my right kidney that they said is 3.7 CM. They thought it was a tumor at first. It can't go anywhere, so it just sits there. If I don't drink enough water, it settles in and makes pain for me.

There are different kinds of stones. Many are calcium; some have other compositions. I have been told to drink plenty of fluids, but stay away from grapefruit juice. Apparently it pulls calcium from your body and dumps it in your kidneys. Lately I was told not to drink caffeine. You might as well shoot me now. I drink 4 - 5 cups a day.

They offered to blast (read untrasonic here) my biggin' into little ones so I could pee them out. I said, "Thank you, no." I passed a little one, and I could feel it moving across from my kidney to my bladder, and a few hours later I couldn't pee. Luckily, just before dawn I had this urge to pee and I had this sudden, painful gusher. Then everything was OK again.

Passing 40 of them? :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

16. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I hope you all are feeling better soon. Wouldn't wish these things on my worst enemy. This is my seventh time in 10 years. Sometimes just one, as many as five at a a a time. Felt the first of these last two around 10 days before Thanksgiving on the right, whcih just gave me some discomfort and nausea. And then, the one on the left started moving a day or two after Thanksgiving, while my wife and I were Christmas shopping. 'Bout had to pick me off the floor of TriCounty Mall. She took me to the hospital, where they have standing orders from the urologist to shoot me full of "kidney stone cocktail." It's lites out, like you got whacked by a 2x4, but really knocks the pain. I'm getting wimpy in my old age. CT Scan and X-ray showed a 5mm stone in the left duct, about half way down, and another 5mm stone in the right kidney trying to get out.

The left one would not pass, and I was trying to work when I could drive, but the narcotics really zonk me. After Christmas, it started up really bad again, and the doc got me on the lithotriptor down in Cincy. They hit the left stone with sound waves for an hour, thought they busted it all up. I was p...ing sand the whole night. Felt OK next day, and then it was back again the following day. Not until the day before New Years Eve, I passed it out in 5 pieces. The one is still in the right kidney and doesn't give me too much trouble right now. I'm going to go to the river in the morning for the first time since Christmas Eve, so we'll see.

The stones I get are calcium oxalate, and cannot be broken up by any meds. I've looked at them under low magnification and they look like a black meteorite with white quartz crystals growing out in all directions. Feels like your passing a file. They go "plink" in the china like a rock. As for diet, he's had me cut out tea, chocolate, colas, nuts, peanut butter, dark green leafy vegs, and cut back on red meat. This is the first I've had since 2002, so it must be doing something. I told the doc he'd be just as better having me eat dirt off the floor for cutting out all the things I like. I drink water and lemonade like crazy. He told me beer every now and then wouldn't hurt, so I'm headed to the convenient store.

17. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I have heard that cheese is a real bad contributor to stones, as well as tea.

I never had a problem with kidney stones but I did with gaul stones. I went several years before it got real tough. The last episode was so bad, I couldn't move. My wife took me to the local emergency room, where a real pretty lady doctor checked me out. I was in so much pain, I didn't even give a darn when I heard the rubber gloves snap on and the doc tell me, "you're going to feel a little pressure..." :eek:

A few days later, I had laproscopic surgery and a six week paid vacation from work. I sure didn't miss being away from work and I don't miss those stones. I do think of that pretty lady doctor from time to time and there's no doubt, I sure do miss her.

Mike

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What were the first symtoms of having a kidneystone.
    dull ache in your kidneys, back? Shooting stabbing pain??
    want to have a heads up if and before things get to bad.

19. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well for me i thought i was having an atack of apendicitis (sp) and i was having a hard time urninating burned and hard to go. then when i couldnt go at all i thought i was going to die it hurt so bad in fact i wanted to die anything to get rid of that pain. the other times ive had them they wernt as bad but still very painfull

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kidney and Gaul stones.:sad:
    Man it sounds like you guys are walking the green mile.
    I really do feel for you guys. 40 of the suckers kind of depresses me. :frk-big:

I aint never had that problem but I know people who have. I got my own difficulties.
    This kidney stone stuff. If it comes with age I aint a happy camper. bout the most I know about it is, a couple people I know had em, it hurts, what yall said, which dont seem right for a man to go through that, and After a night of Jal' spicy Mexican food at a buddy of mine restaurant, I've had some painful experiences with back splash that weren't no fun. I think a couple of lava rocks in the water happen. Sure felt that way. If it gets much worse than that, put me to sleep and let the pretty nurses with rubber gloves in the room. I asume they fish it out and I sure dont want a be awake for that.:frk-big: