Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer an open face reel for myself but I'm looking to get some new rods and reels for the grandkids and since they were using some garage sale specials I'd like some advice. The kids are 11, 7 and 4, should I get the younger ones closed reels and shorter kids rods or standard rods and open face reels? Most of our fishing is from shore or off docks. I guess it will depend on how long I expect them to use their particular gear, huh? Is it better to use a kid friendly setup or get them accustomed to what I prefer?

·
Banned
3,022 Posts
Spin cast for the little ones, I would think. Something like a zebco 404 or whatever.

The older one should be able to handle a spinning rod. The younger ones might too, just depends on them more than anything.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have opted for cheaper spincast combos for my kids. One big reason is so that when the cast and forget to hold on to the rod and it goes flying into the drink, it doesn't hurt too bad.

My youngest daughter is 3 and just got her first rod. I think it was about $12. It's a great dock fishing rig. Solid fiberglass, so nearly indestructible!
Child model Child Sports equipment Play Punching bag

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! Think I'll go with the short spincast for the little one and open face reels with ultralights for the other 2.
My parents had me fishing and cleaning my own fish before I was 5 and I can't wait to teach these guys what its all about! They live in town(the older 2) and don't get to do much outdoors so coming to see me in the sticks is always an adventure for them!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Catfish1 mobile app

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have opted for cheaper spincast combos for my kids. One big reason is so that when the cast and forget to hold on to the rod and it goes flying into the drink, it doesn't hurt too bad.

My youngest daughter is 3 and just got her first rod. I think it was about $12. It's a great dock fishing rig. Solid fiberglass, so nearly indestructible! View attachment 277790
I might get some for my kids as well. Thanks for the recommendations guys!

G

·
Shimano makes a nicely sized spinning reel combo for $20 at Walmart for youths. IX200R. It's mostly plastic, but is built solid as a rock and has great reviews. I got one for my 5' tall girlfriend because she likes the short handle. And it'll handle a decent fish with ease.
Only downside, seems front heavy. May want to handle it in the store before buying.
My personal two favorite ultralight rigs are a Zebco Micro 33 on a 5'6" Berkley Lightning Rod, and my Mitchell 310 on a 5' Abu Garcia Vigilante 2.0 light action.
I've substituted the Lightning Rod for a cheap Shakespeare like what's in Horsehead's pic and passed the Micro 33 on it to my son. I'm not giving that crazy kid a $40 pole, he'll be pretending to be Zorro the moment I turn my back.
Personally I vote spinning reels for those whose hands are big enough to handle them, and I prefer Zebco over Shakespeare for cheap spincasters. My first Zebco is over 30 years old, and it still sits on my mom's front porch with a pile of other Zebcos as a loaner rod and reel for any one of their 23 grandkids that shows up.
I don't think they've bought a new reel in over 20 years. Plenty of rods, but not reels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.