"Kicker" dykes in Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Mar 2, 2006.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was fishing today at Lexington and there were some Convservation guys there taking their boat out at the same time I was. They were setting gill nets to catch sturgeon for a hatchery somewhere to stock the river with. Anyway, I asked if they were catching any blues and he said in the nets they set by the kicker dykes they caught a bunch of 10-15 lbers and one 60 lbs. Said that's the only place they'd seen them. I had to ask what a kicker dyke is and apparently it's the wing dykes that are at about 45 deg. to the main channel as opposed to perpendicular to it. Thought any body hitting the river this weekend might want to know.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They netting behind or infront of the angle dykes?

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Thanks for the great information!!!!!!!!!! Appreciate it. God bless.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I think they are off the channel end of it behind the dyke. The guy I talked to said he couldn't tell if they were cruising along the face of the dyke or coming in behind to feed, so I figure they must be coming off the tip and going towards the bank behind the dyke. Now if I didn't have this stupid dial up connection, I'd google earth the river by Lexington and see where to go in the morning....Also, I think if they're after sturgeon they'd kind of be in the slack water, but I don't know much about sturgeon...

5. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thank's for the helpful information. I want to learn as much about the Mo and it's wing dykes

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    me and my dirty mind.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thx for the headsup Stolib. We dont have much for kicker dykes on the MIss here where I fish, but the Missouri around St. Charles is absolutely loaded with them. Rumor has it the winners of the tournament at Alton last saturday won that tournament fishing the channel side of a kicker dyke on the Missouri. Thx again for sharing.

8. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    They were netting pallid's for the hatchery up at Gavins Point Dam. From what my brother told me they caught 4 good ones to send up there. (He works for the A.P. and this came across the wire)

9. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i fish in st charles all the time and never fished a kicker dyke. do you fish parallel with it or off the tip of it. im going out sunday morning early putting in at blanchette landing . i know there are some kicker dykes up there so if anyone is out there and knows where to fish these kicker dykes i'll be in a 14' v-bottom green with grass pattern if you wanna show me where to fish:) or just tell me where lol

10. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Partycove has nothin over us we got dikes all over this river:cool:

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah but the river dikes aint as sexy as them party cove ones.

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    i am new on this sight and this is only my second post and just recently joined the b.o.c.but i have been fishing for large flats and blues in the missouri river around omaha up and down 75 miles in both directions for several years now. and the river has 100s of wing dams and it has been my experience that the actively feeding fish are at the outside point of the wing dam on the channel side.also just past the point there is a large scour hole that is caused by the force of the river flowing around the out side of the dam.also a good place to put a bait at the head of the scour hole .the big mo. runs swift between 6 and 8 mi. per hour.you will need between 6 and 8 ounces of weight to hold the bait depending on its size.i anchor above the wing dam about 60to 70 yards and use two anchors to hold the boat which is a 18ft.lund alaskan.I only use live bait large bluegills,shad which are caught with a cast net or large goldfish if the wife slips me an extra $20 which doesnt happen real often as she thinks i already have to many fishing rods and reel combos and all of us that fish know that between 50 and 60 sets are definetly not to many but thats another story for another day .I use heavy tackle 7000c3s on Berkley e cat rods e4s and berkley big game 40# my largest to date has been a 71#flat caught may 2004 at the mouth of the little sioux where it enters the missouri river . i hope this helps bigcatman o816.