Kicked the Hive:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Oct 30, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is kind of an analogy. (comparison between two things, sometimes not related.) That is for DRC, may his wishes about my ability to be more easily understood come true. I may have to go back to school to learn how to express myself more clearly.

A year ago this summer I was mowing grass and weeds in front of thirty hives of bees on my property. They have been here a number of years. I have always had my own hives here since 1983, now a commercial guy keeps 30 colonies here year around. They produce well here. Lindens, orchards, wild apples, clover, golden rod and on down the line. I knew better than to mow around them because it was a hot, sunny sultry day. There was no pollen or nectar run on. The only bees missing from those hives were the water carriers bring water back to humidify the hives. Those hundreds upon hundreds of thousands bees were not in a good mood. Kinda like some of our wives get in sometimes.

I came around a corner of a block and kicked one of the hives with my mower. They were already PO'ed from the mower vibration and when I nudged that hive all Hades broke loose. The 3 closet hives came out to give me their greeting cards. A veritable cloud and they were heading for me. I didn't know my old mower had that high a gear and I and they were off. By the time I got to the house still knocking down bees I knew I was in trouble. I don't know how many stings I had but there was much more than a couple. In the house already gasping for air I started taking any and every antihistamine and epinephrine containing pill and capsule I could find. Swallowing them, pulling them apart and sticking them under my tongue. Pouring their contents in water and drinking them. Nancy had the truck running and was about to call 911. I was as close to dead as I have ever come in the many times I have had a chance to die. The stuff kicked in and I could feel my airways opening up. Swollen like a pumpkin I could at least breathe.

Yesterday I kicked the hive so to speak. A lot of bees and even some bumblebees (the big guys) came out to greet me. The air was thick with them and many of them together made a lot of noise. They eyeballed me pretty close and got on the bill of my cap but I didn't get venomized. Good thing it wasn't snakes, 'eh 'Ol PyhthonJohn. I ain't gonna kick that hive again. As 223 FullMetalJacket said we'll see if there are any aftershocks. I am kinda eyeballing this paper wasp nest though, I hope they are hibernating when I shake it loose.

Postbeetle.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    D/H did you get that?:wink:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John you are not Steve Irwin it does not pay to play with everything that bite / sting maim and kill........Nancy needs to thump you a couple of times although I have a feeling it will only make you worse:beated:

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, I followed and related (i used to keep bees) very well until the last paragraph; guess I'm missin somethin.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .....never mind........I've just been enlightened........

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dear beetlejuice ,
    i think i had more trouble with the folicle thread .
    i wasn't able to tie the bloodymary in with a hairy chested woman:eek:oooh: dot dot dot

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Considering the recent high level of activity, i am doubtful that the wasps will be going into hibernation anytime soon. Walk softly and carry a big stick my friend.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    my dad cuts and removes tree's from residential area's. just like his dad did, and his dad's dad. a couple of years ago he got into a big oak tree. he usually climbs rope, saddle, spurs this day was no exception. what was different was that as he was cutting the top out of the tree, he realized he was also cutting through a bee hive... he still had to finish the cut, and make his way to the ground. one of his helpers came over and began tearing bee's off after dad hit the ground. his helper ended up with a 3 night stay in the local hospital courtesy of 9 bee stings. but not dad, oh no he is way too stubborn for that. they counted 32 stings on the inside of his right ear alone, i cant remember a total of stings on his head, face, neck and arms, but it was well past 200. he was released the same day with some over the counter ib prof.

my point is that everyone kicks a bee hive now and then. we have to, be it accident, or intentional. its just law of probability.

the thing is some can manage the results and some cant. you my friend can handle it.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Postmortem, I think you will be fine as long as you stick to pissing off the little honey bees. But you had better watch those bumble bees. Theres been two instances the last 3 years where guy's were brush hogging in this area and got into a bumble bee nest and ended up falling off there tractor getting run over by the brush hog and killing them. True story but if you read between the lines and your worried about aftershocks just remember those honey bees may cause you to gasp for air but the bumble be can chew you up and spit you out:eek:oooh:.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok my turn. you know John i have kicked a few bee hives, but what 9s even more fun is squirting them with water and then when they get aggitated, swating them with an old 1x4 board. i have never been called stupid (to my face), i am just not afraid of whom i might upset when i speak my mind and i know i am right. i think thats why i like to build bombs, cause you dont have to be stupid, but it does help to be a little bit crazy. you know if you go through life and you accidentally kick a bee hive, of course you might get stung. does it make it wrong? i dont think so. from what i can tell you are a pretty upstanding guy, so if anyone gives you any crap, just stand up and know the crap out of them.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .....a simple badmitten raquet can wreck havoc on a nest of bumblebees....

ambush em' as they come & go

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A busy few days for me, a lot on my mind. While all the stuff was going on with the beehives and frontal assaults and rear guard sorties and KP duty, my septic system blew up and me and my trusty skidsteer have carved out a septic system that the county sanitarian would pass in a heartbeat, if he ever gets to see it and he won't. Hehheh. While I was up to the top of my boots in grey water I was thinking up some of the things I have written the last few days, maybe that is why it came across as it did.

I have some catching up to do with thanks and e-mails and sympathy cards sent to me from some people. I owe some folks and they don't give ya too many options to do that here. I shot my load of reputation points and they keep handing me empty magazines. I can't even lock if I can't load, and I was never any good with a bayonet, my arms weren't long enough. So I owe ya some folks, I'll catch up with ya. John.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    That was a close call John. Ya need one of the emergency "kits", to be able to give yourself a shot. Any Dr. will Rx one for ya, when ya tell him you've got hives on your place, an had a reaction.
    Hope the bees are ok. Hear we got aids for bees now, and have already lost over 1/3 of the bees in America. If they can't figure it out, it may be "will fish for food" for real. And have to eat it broiled.....
    The keepers are replacing the hives lost with bees from "down under". I'm sure they will have an attitude.
    This could be the biggest crisis America ever faces, and hardly any news coverage at all. No bees, no food.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You are right Boots. I have some appreciation of what you speak. It would take less than 3 years for the world as we know it to be eliminated. Albert Einstein was aware of that many years ago and he commented on such. It may not take the Muslims to kill us off, even with the kind of people we have to protect us. It make just take the loss of the complex yet simple Honeybee.

15. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    You were lucky..i've only got 8 hives, most of mine are pretty calm, I have re queened them with some calmer queens and they dont bump me in the head as much as they use to when i mow around them..but..I too got lost on the last paragraph..maybe its the venom getting to you while typing??:wink:

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    that bee crisis is some serious poopy drawers. i watched a news special about it recently, and was amazed. its just another one of those simple designs that is absolutely necessary to our survival. i hope some genius scientist figures out a resolution, because i am a pretty big fan of food.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Next time duck:wink:

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    somewhere i heard it was all the radiowaves in the atmosphere from cellphones telecomunications etc driveing them away .
    i wouldn't doubt it everywhere you look someone has a cell phone stuck in their ear. crazy .

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Wish it was that simple, but that report was rescended by the scientist who pubished. Hard to believe, but the bees in the cities of France, where no pesticides are used in the city parks, etc. are fine....the hives in the country not so good. They don't waste any space over there. Got hives on the highest rooftops, in the city. LOL. I actually think that's a cool idea.

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have found that there is nothing quite like standing knee-deep in grey water to refocus one's attention on the important things in life.

Keep it coming, John...uh, that is, the good stuff, not the grey water! :eek:oooh: