Kickapoo Creek Flatheads???

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by brianm360, Mar 29, 2009.

1. brianm360

brianm360 New Member

State:
    east peoria, Il.
    from what i have learned from all you guys, is that flathead like cover iv been in kickapoo creek before and know there is a ton of wood piles and cover. has anyone on here fished it and is it anygood. iv been doin a lot of reserch and found best bait for them is bullheads. but i have no clue where to find them.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I havent fished the creek but sounds like a good spot. Also live bluegill will do very well or other natural baits.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bullheads are a great bait for them, they can be found in about any small creek, pond,lake etc, usually a piece of liver and 10 minutes will tell ya if they are there, one thing to remember, when you use a bullhead, take a pair of side cuts and snip off the top and side horns of your bait fish, that is their natural defense to big Flats and if they are gone, then less chance of the FH getting stuck by one and dropping your bait :wink:

4. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    There's a kickapoo creek east of ya by Lincoln, its a smaller creek. I dont know if it runs clear up by you or not? It has flats up to about 10lbs. Bluegill are a good bait for flats, we use them 90% of the time. Good Luck, let us know how ya do.

5. central cat

central cat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We fish the kickapoo outside Lincoln for flats every year with live bluegill and average 10-15pounds with at least 4-6 fish between 30-40lbs! Not sure if its the same creek or not but sounds good. I looked on google earth and it seems there are several sections of creek they call kickapoo. Good luck to ya. P.s. the fish in my avatar was 32 lbs and came from kickapoo.