Khales or circles hooks?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Dropoff, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am wanting some advice on hooks.I have missed alot of fish on 7ot khales.I am thinking of giving the circles a try.Just wanted some opinons Thanks

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those Kahles seemed to do a fine job for you when you fished the Ohio two weeks ago, LOL!!!

3. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    down with circles down with circles

4. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes but how many fish did i loose on those khale hooks.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There are lots of threads addressing circle vs J hooks in the BOC.

I personally like and use VMC circle hooks exclusively. When they come out of the package, I bend a slight kerb into the hook. The VMC are made of stronger, thinner wire and have super-sharp points.

As the best tip I can give you, if you use circles, put them on every rod you are fishing with in order to prevent confusion. DO NOT SET A CIRCLE HOOK. Put the rod in a strong rod holder, set the drag normally on the reel and wait for the fish to pull the rod down before simply picking the rod out of the rodholder and reeling it in.

The kahle hook can be used just like the circle hook, but they are a little more forgiving. If you wait for the fish to pull the rod down (load the rod) the hook can still be "set" with less chance of snatching it from the fish's mouth. I much rather like the action of the circle hook.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    And How many times did I tell you to let the fish load the rod before setting the hook, LOL!!!

7. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im sorry ur right o master of the blues LOL.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you think I am that is fine..... I don't!!!!

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John is right,you need to let the fish load up the rod before you try to snach the kahle hook through it's jaw.I use 6/0 and 70 kahles all the time and I miss very few fish but I never set a kahle hook I let the fish do it and I was doing it that way with J hooks also.I stopped bass fishing back in 1970 some thing because it was to much work just to catch a few small fish and I've cought a lot of cats and I'm lazy so I don't think I've set a J or Kahle hook sence.:tire:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Trevor, I've tried the circles and just don't like that style of fishing. I've used kahles for years and like eagle claw kahles and king kahles from 7/0 - 10/0. Those are the hooks i'm sticking with.
    If you are wanting to try circles get some gamacatsu 5/0 - 8/0 circles. If they are baited right and used right they are also a good hook choice. I've experimented with several different sizes and styles and if I were going to switch to circles those are the ones i would use. Just my 2 cents worth.

11. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Albert. Circle all the way. My brother is a diehard who won't convert.......when we fish together I almost always outfish him due to his misses. Check out some of the threads in the library on how to use them.

12. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    like i said before down with circles

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I had a problem with the circles until I just learned to leave them ALONE.

It was hard to get out of the habit of setting the hook. Now I just let the rod load up and the fish is on most of the time. I've had a couple really HARD take-downs that resulted in no fish but mostly you hook 'em.

If they are just peckin around they are probably too small or a trash fish etc., so I don't want them anyway. At least that's what I tell myself. :roll_eyes:

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Darryl, if the fish aren't biting very aggressively (read: peckers) then the kahle hooks are pretty handy. At least with a kahle hook, you can burn a little frustration and try to jerk one of the little peckers out of the water. If the fish are biting pretty aggressively, or there's current, or I'm drifting, I'll use circle hooks exclusively. If I'm bankbeating it, and the bite is slow, it's kahle hooks all the way.

They both have their advantages.

15. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    One of the big factors in circle hooks is the gap between the point and the shank. Gamakatsu makes a catfish circle hook that is sharp and strong with a little wider gap than a regular circle. Owner makes some really good circle hooks that are super strong with a really good gap.
    The way a circle hook works is sorta like a cam rolling action. When it rolls in the corner of the fish's mouth if the gap is not big enough then it will slide right on out. Trying to set the hook will cause it to not roll properly and you will jerk it out.

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used both and seem to use khales amost always but here lately I've had afew straightened out. I use mustad7/0. I say almost because I have been using large live bream this year and the khales dont leave enough hook exposed for me so I've been using 10/0 j's for that. Noone around here have big diameter wire khales.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had my hooks for several years now but I found the Mustad Kahle hooks to be smaller size for size and the wire to be thinner than the Eagle Claw.I do not know which is stronger.As for the "O Master of the Blues" title.It seems to me to be a well earned and appropriate title for the gentleman it was applied to.I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS

I had to take off circle hooks last weekend. Seams they were "sucking" on the bait and couldn't get them to run with it. I really like circle hooks, but is frustrating sometimes to sit there and watch them bite and there is nothing you can do about it.

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Owner SSW Circles. I keep telling Yall.:confident::boss:

20. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Last night, it seemed that the dinks were all over the baits, chewing on the bait and leaving the hooks bare in nothing flat. I tried changing to a smaller hook to see what it was, but it failed to connect. The dinks just ate the cut shad without getting hooked.

Then the truth came out... one especially energetic bite produced a four foot gar on a small circle hook. It wasn't dinks at all... just a bunch of gar in shallow water!