Khale vs. J-hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BigTattoo, Nov 14, 2005.

1. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What's everyone's opinion on Khale vs. J-hooks? Does everyone set the hook with khales? I know about circles. I just don't care for them. They're not for me. Also, I was told on the old board that the hook size is determined by the bait size. This has been very helpful.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I don't like for circle hooks eather. After I started using kahle hooks I will never fish with any other type.I never set the hook when using kale hooks cause the fish will hook it's self and I'm to lazy. :D

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    You'll find that no one has an opinion on this topic, LOL (Of course I'm just kidding).

What can I say, Kahle's rule! There's nothing like those big 9/0 and 10/0 King Kahle's either. You can catch 2 lber's on them or 50 lbers. Many times they do work like a circle hook. It all depends on the mood of the cat though. Sometimes they hit hard and fast. Other times they don't. I'll let them tell me if they want to hook themselves or not. I do love it though when they have the pole bent over ripping drag before I can even get out of my chair. You've got to love it!!

4. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I'd gotten caught up in the circle move for a while, but its just too stressful for me! I also tried the octapus hooks(i still do with live bait through the eyes)Im not sure what a j hook is, But I absolutely Love kahle hooks.5or6/0. I guess its like a circle hook with trainin wheels..lol

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    In summation at least for the Kahle contingent,the Kahle gives you the same hooking capabilty as a circle if left alone ie in the corner of the mouth,with a much wider gap.My main problem with circles is looking at that little bitty gap and wonderin.......You can set the hook if you must with a Kahle,but I've found it best to let the fish do it ala circle hook.Most of the fishing guides at Santee Cooper use circles with great success,one of the best guides on the James uses circles period although he used Daiichi Circle Chunks which have a bigger gap than regular circles.I have used both but just feel "better" with the Kahle and they are much easier to use rigging baits for drift fishing.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use Kale hooks for everything but shark fishing then I use J's

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Mr Phat, A J hook is the common ole hook you know shaped like the letter J.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I use all 3 types of hooks. Some times the fish hit hard & fast,I use C. hooks in that case. other times they hit & drop that's when I use K.hooks. If they are hiting soft & light I'll use J. hooks.

9. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    duh...stupid me, lol...

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Mr phat, not stupid at all, I did not realize it was call a J when I first joined.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never tried Kahles, but I may just do that considering all the success you guys have had with them.

12. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just give me my "J" hooks....plain hooks.....regular hooks......old-fashioned hooks.......whatever you want to call them. Just give them to me in Eagle Claw or Mustad and leave me alone on the river, creek bank or lake. If I can't catch fish with them......well you can just shoot me.

I ain't never been shot yet. Harland ;)

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use khale hooks most of the time simpley because it is the best of both worlds. You can set them (aka cross their eyes) like a (J) hook or you can let the fish do the work for you like a circle hook. There are times when the bite seems mixed (grab and run and set and peck), Khales seem to fit the bill for this situation for me.

PS You will not find a (J) hook in my arsenal, unless I am fishing for bait!!!

14. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the advice. I can't use circles because I have to set the hook. No matter how many times I tell myslef don't jerk the pole, I just have to :D , so it's O.K. to try to brake the catfishes neck with kahales.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

15. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I found out that circle hooks work great when you want to take a nap. otherwise I don't like them much as it is way to hard to set the hook. I have yet to use the kahle hooks as I don't miss much on j style hooks.

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    So with the kahle hook how do you know when to set the hook or let the fish do it?I fish with kales all the time and i always jerk the rod when it takes off,is there a time not to and let the fish do it?

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like them because you have a choice, or to put it another way you don't have to keep a constant vigil on your rods. If the fish is biting real finicky then you can set the hook and if the fish are hitting hard you won't miss him because you had your back turned, LOL!!!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im not sure of the big difference in kayhle and J's. i used kayhle for a month or so then tried circle. never looked back.

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Like Turtle said, those 9/0 and 10/0 king kahles are to me the best hook ever invented. No looking back. I have caught both small blues and flats and big blues and flats on them.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I would have to say that when it comes to almost every hook, they all have their uses. Sometimes a khale hook may be the best hook for the situation or sometimes a J-hook, circle hook, etc. Might be the best hook for the situation. I think I use J-hooks the majority of the time. But at the same time I dont have any particular "favorite" hook. It sort of depends on what kind of bait your using, how the fish are biting (nibbling, or running). Stuff like that.

good luck :)