Khale hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by beakus, Dec 22, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    anybody had any trouble with khales straiting out with bigger fish?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What brand and size are you using?

3. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    John, what brand are you using? I only use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp hooks. I have never had one bend or break,unless I did it with pliers removing the hook from the fish. Also, what size do you use? I've seen several 40# fish taken on 6/0 Khale hooks. I use 4/0 to 9/0 hooks. JMO Allen

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mustad brand Kahles use to be smaller and of thinner wire than Eagle Claw for the same number size hooks when I laid them side by side.This can be of a advanage or disavanage acording to where,what for and how you fished.This was a couple years ago.peewee-williams

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i used whisker stickers, never had one straiten all the way out, had one bend pretty bad on me though.

Also, the double barb is really hard to remove from back of neck (little brother hooked me!):big_smile:

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I lost the biggest fish I've ever had on after a 20 minute fight when the fish straightened out my Kahle hook. Man, I sure wish I could have seen him :sad2:

This was early last year. It was before I had really studied up on hooks. It was an Eagle Claw 6/0 bronze Kahle. Let's just say that I've never used a bronze hook since and never will!!

Attached Files:

7. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    tried a few on some jugs2/0 i think,but i just dont like the design of the bend, it seems to be a weak point with the way the force is applied from the line pull to how the hook set when hooked?

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use 7/0 and 10/0 kahles and never had any trouble.

9. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    blue fishing rod & reel: use 6/0 eagle claws (not bronze), caught them up to 49 lbs, no problems.

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is exactly what I use (only smaller), but I haven't caught a real big fish yet. :tounge_out:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Eagle Claw lazer in7/0. Never had a problem. A good and solid hook.

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I use Eagle Claw 4/0 thru 12/0 kahles and i have never had one get straightened out. I have caught everything you can think of on these hooks and have never had any problem.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I had some trouble with kahles in which I had a few missed strikes including one on a big cut bait head. I shyed away from them lately but maybe it was because the hook was not big enough.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa

OUCH that must have hurt. It's nice to know ur still alive and with us. lol

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Had Pretty Good Luck With Kahle Hooks, I Use Eagle Claw. I've Only Had One 8# Fish Bend A 2/0 Hook.

16. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina

wish i could have seen him he musta been huge:eek:oooh:

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Yes, I would have surely liked to have seen that fish that day. Lesson learned though, no more bronze khaleys.LOL

18. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Johnny [777] turned me on to the King Kat Khales made by eagle claw i think they are stronger than the lazer brand ..they are black pearl....man they are tough hooks 8/0 to 10/0 is all iv'e seen....i found some 8/0 and i am pleased with there performance so far:smile2:

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use them, best hooks there are in my opinion. We still lose and miss fish, but it's not the hook, I've tried about every type of hook there is now, and Kahles are showing me the best results. I have not caught any fish over 15lbs on them yet, but my dad caught two Blue Cats at 40 pounds already this year.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Never had one bend on me,but I don't use them a lot. If I'm ever worried about hooks bending I go for my larger Gamakatsu circle hooks or larger Owners J "witch ever I feel is the right hook for the place & time" ,both are strong enough to pull any fish out of the water without ever bending. If hook bend is your worries go check out those two brands of hooks. They are a bit pricey but you will be able to tell just by looking at them they are good hooks without any weak spots.