Khale hooks? Is there a secret to setting the hook?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Benny, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Benny

Benny New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey All,

Names Benny and I'm new booty to tha BOC. Deff like this site!!! So it was nice friday an saturday nite down here in VA so I went fishn. I've read here tha khale hooks are good for cat fishn. But I was seemn to have trouble settn them last nite. I was gettn crazy bites but couldnt set tha dang thang. I was able to get my first cat of tha year, a big woppn 6 inch channel :). Actually tha thang was kinda cute. neway. I got it wit a 3/0 bait holder. Is there a secret to tha khale hooks????

Thanks!

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ever considered using a circle hook, they set themselves if you use em correctly. Also, welcome aboard you'll love it here.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alot of the cats might have been small ones, if so they were not getting the whole hook in their mouths..I have had that trouble as of late.

4. Benny

Benny New Member

State:
    VA
    ya i was thinkn they mite have been small. ive heard of the circle hooks. i may have to give them a try. thanks for tha advice fellas

5. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've always had trouble with hookups on Khales, usually they hit and when I go to set, I set into nothing but water. :p Know what a problem could be?

6. Benny

Benny New Member

State:
    VA
    ya i've always used bait holders myself. but thought i would try them. i c alot folks talk about the circle hooks. how many of yall use those?

7. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I started using circles about 3 weeks ago and I've missed 1 fish so far out of about 15-20 over 4lbs., and that one miss was probably due to the fact that I fell backwards before I could get my line tight. At first, I didn't really trust not setting the hook, so I really laid into a few blues, even with a solid hook-set none were hooked deep...after we started catching a bunch of bigger fish I experimented and it really is true about not having to set the hook. We would wait for the fish to strip the line, then pick up the rod and reel nice and steady until the line was tight and the fish was hooked.

8. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Benny

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Benny, Welcome to the Brotherhood.

ST

10. guywholikestofish

guywholikestofish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey, my names chris and I am new around here. Im from Oklahoma and I was wonderin if any of yall have ever fished Ft. Gibson Lake for some catfish?

11. Benny

Benny New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks for tha tips gentlemen! and thanks for the warm welcome. i hope its nice this weekend so I can go out again and try these khales one more time.

12. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Last night I bought some 5/0 wide gap hooks that look identical to the Kahles. They were Mustad ultra point wide gap croaker hooks more specefically. I could see no difference between the hooks with kahle on the packaging (except for size, if they had the kahles in the size I wanted thats what I would have come home with) Should I fish these hooks the same as true kahles or differently? Thanks for any input!

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use The 4/0 & 5/0 Genuine Kahle Hooks On My Juglines & Rod And Reel, Both With Great Success. The Hook-Ups Are Always In The "Lip", So THey Are Easy To Remove.

This Makes For A Good Safe Release Or For A Quick Trip Onto The Stringer.

HTH, Elliot

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Benny and Chris. I use both Kahles and Circles. Seem to get more deep hooks with the Kahles than the circles, but like them both.

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC! You will find more info here than you can remember. Thanks to the guys with alot more cattin experience than me you can learn what ever you want to here!

I use 5/0 kahle on juglines and trot lines sometimes. I am learning to use circle hooks for r/r.

16. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    Hello all, my name is mike, and i live on the mississippi. (well just moved away but close enough to drive) About 2 hrs north of st. louis. I have been fishing them waters for about 6 years hard. I started using tru turn hooks, then a older man approched me and made small talk about fishing. Little did i know that he was a 68 yr old catman himself. Days later, he appered back on the aera where i had some lines in the water, He handed me a box of 3/0 nickel plated kahle hooks and told me to give them a try. I gladly took the mans offer, and right then pulled in my lines and tied them up. Hands down the best all around hook i have ever had in my tackle box. Circle hooks are good if u can get used to not setting the hook. Half the fun of fishing to me is setting the hook. To all the fishers that use circle hooks, my hat is off to ya. I always got to excited for them. To me, kalhe hooks will always be the hook in my tackle box.

17. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

:0a25: Welcome to the BOC Benny and Chris, new here myself but lots of info here. My ol'lady thinks im addicted because I keep reading an reading.:0a22:

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I've been using Kahles for over 10 years now and don't have any problems with them BECAUSE I treat them exactly like circles.I drift fish alot from my boat and with the rods in rod holders by the time I get to them they are set.Ks will work just like circle hooks if you let them but you can also set the hook if you want.I use the nickel plated hooks to prevent rust and I use 7/0 which has worked well on all size fish up to 68 lbs.They have been equally effective doing stationary flatline fishing also.Not every bite is going to be a catfish and if you have turtles or gar in the water you fish you can be driven to distraction no matter what type of hook you use.:)

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I had some trouble with the kahle as well. One night I just switched to circles and regular J's and had more success. It may have been that the cats were too small . The ones I did get with it were 4 pounds to 6 pounds. Maybe I need to try the side setting of the hook like stated earlier, eventhough I have to admit, swinging my hips might put the hurting on me, maybe I need to move my legs as well like a pitcher does. LOL

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    HI Benny.welcome aboard im new also but i use khale hooks too and as mentioned above swing to the side in a sweeping motion and it makes a big differance in hook set ups. the onlytime i have trouble with this method is when ive been in the beer cooler to often ,fell out of the boat once good thing I was in the parking lot or i could of drown and the wife would have been RICH!!! and you guys could have gotten some real good buys on some real sweet fishing gear at the garage sale bigcatman0816