khae vs. circle hooks for drifting

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfish1083, Aug 24, 2009.

1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i just started drift fishing and i have been useing circle hooks, but i noticed i am missing a lot of hook ups .i am thinking that the rod is pulling the circle hook out before it turns in to there mouth. i was wondering if yall knew if khale or another type of hook worked better for this type of fishing?

2. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Dustin I use circle hooks when I drift and I haven't missed any yet. Hook size is a factor when drifting I use mustad demon in 5/0 & 8/0 they work fine for me.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Dustin I have used circle hooks for the past while and had no trouble .My rod is a m/h shakespear with alot of tension.I hardley miss one but I do miss some but not from the circle hook.I forget to let the hook do the job.and I use 6/0-8/0 circle.sometimes the hook could be too big also

this is what i use

4. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    I have never tried drift fishing but i hear the results are great. How deep do you normally drift and what type of rig do you use? Any info would help

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey john, i am a long way from a pro but i have been 2 times this week and managed to put 5fish in the boat durring the heat of the day. our biggest was a blue that went only 5 lbs. i figured it is a start i have missed about 4 hits one being really good feeling. i just carolina rig with a foot leader and a 7/0-8/0 circle hook. we drift channel ledges and stump filds, with baits on bottom and reeled up to 5 ft below the boat. i got all my info from a video from the catfish insider group (the icon is on the top right of your page) hope this helps and thanks to all of yall who answered this post:big_smile:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC John. I make it down to Brandenburg a couple times a year. We will have to hook up sometime.
    When I drift I am bottom dragging. Been thinking of setting one rig up with a slip bobber set up. Anyone tried this?

7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Yea I use a slip bobber on two of my poles it's like jug fishing on them I cast them out away from the boat when I drift and put them at different depths.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I drift with Teamcatfish 8/0 double action. The hook-up rate is really good. The kind of rod/rod-holder/line all are factors also in drifting. We killed them last week drifting rigging with 8/0 double action/ braided line with short mono leader /snake weight/ driftmaster duo rod holders they were pinning the rods :wink:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big Sam beat me to it. I was going to suggest that your rod action might be to stiff and causing you to miss fish on circle hooks. This is controversial but I would suggest med action rods for drifting. Nothing stiffer than Med/Hvy, when using circle hooks.

10. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks, i am using a m/h. i am thinking they may have been getting the bait and not the hook several had the bait pulled down. speaking of bait how often should i change it when drifting?

11. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I troll for my cats and had the exact same problem with circle hooks until I went to a larger Circle. I now use 6/0's and hardly miss any now. I even have 1 pounders being hooked with no problem on the 6/0's. I change bait after 3 fish caught on the same bait (chub head or shrimp) or about every 1/2 hour...whatever comes first.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I drift with circle hooks, I used kahles also but lost some fish. One major problem with missing fish drifting is when the hook turns back in to your bait. Sometimes the fish are not hitting hard and just nipping at your bait. If you are missing a bunch of fish try a two hook rig. Put two circle hooks on about 3-5" away from each other. If you are using huge baits put both hooks in to one bait if you are fishing smaller baits put on two pieces. This can be a bit of a pain for getting stuck in nets and what not but it seems to increase my hookups.

There are a lot of factors to consider like the line your using, the way your rod holders are setup, the angle that your pole is to the water, how your drag is set etc.

If your pole is really stiff then mono works better than braid. If your using braid a somewhat softer rod with a mono leader seems to work well. If your pole is too stiff then I put it at a 0 degree angle, the softer the tip the higher degree angle I like it at. Ideal for me is a pole with a soft tip and big backbone at about 45 degree angle.

I also don't take the rod out of the holder when I first see it move. I wait for it to double over. Sometimes I will get to the pole in the holder when it is bending and start to reel in and get the fish hooked then take it out. If you grab it out of the holder and soon as the rod bends you will pull the hook out sometimes.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Try smaller bait or even fillets. Some times this will change the catch ratio.

14. Top_Of_The_South

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    Thanks a lot. Im gonna try this next time i go to the river. Hopefully itll pay off.

15. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thank all of yall as this continues to help me.:wink:

16. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    i've had awsome sucsess with kahlee hooks 5/0..cicrle is good for me bumping bottom

17. Top_Of_The_South

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    Thanks J.C. I think it would be fun to hook u and go get some lines wet. Whereabouts do you live?