keystone project

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by LazyBum, Jul 16, 2009.

1. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Has anybody seen the time frame on the keystone dam upgrade? Maybe the plans on what they are doing? So far, all I have seen is they have added some rock thats been washed away.

Really looking forward to seeing what all they are going to do, but a little advance insight might be nice

2. Hasbro

Hasbro New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was at the dam today.... The gate side is done & now the turbine side is closed.

From what I saw they added some riprap rock & replaced the portion of the concrete walk that got destroyed in the high water. I didn't like the fact that they removed the hand rails...... They were handy rod holders.

There was some crappie fishermen that had the corner blocked so you couldn't cast to the wall.... So I didn't even rig up. I hung around for about an hour & didn't see a fish caught. Maybe this weekend the bite will be better.

3. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

You're kidding? thats ALL they did? 1.9 million meaning about 9.5k per side and thats all?

Man, I'm in the wrong business.

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Man, Glad I saw this post. I was going to head up there tomorrow afternoon. Gotta find somewhere else to go now,lol. I wonder why they took out the hand rails?

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Can't answer that... BUT, I went out there tonight... I like it! I think it is very fishable. I just went out there to take a look around... No fishing gear... what a mistake... Those guys was hauling in 4-12lb cats all night.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Did they get the highway fixed yet?

7. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

Ya have to go in from the north side through Sand Srings... Can't get in from the Mannford side yet

8. Hasbro

Hasbro New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang... What a difference a few hours make on the bite...

Yea, the fix up looks good. Probably a lot of dirt work done under the repaired concrete.... IMO looks just like it used to w/out the handrails.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  9. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

I just hope they'll keep it up and not let it run down like they have in the past.

My biggest complaint is TRASH! Why they can't have trash cans down there and put liners in em, I'll never know. Other lakes do it. People leave their dead bait when they leave rather than toss it back out in the water and let the fish feed on it. I think my biggest pet peeve is people tossing their used line on the side and just leaving it.

I have seen, and been a part of in the nights picking up trash and burnind it in the rocks. But, I'm not there to do that, I am there to fish!

10. Hasbro

Hasbro New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Amen!

I'll see you up there sometime.

11. lelzo

lelzo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anybody been fishing below keystone dam lately? Is all of the construction finished?

12. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

I was out at the dam the other day, and both sides are open... 2 weeks ago, a buddy of mine pulled in about 500 pounds of flats and blues

13. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I went on the 3rd. I hit it at first light for some stripers but nothing caught. They did put up the handrails tho. Still looks like if you don't have a good spot 20yds from breakwall you gonna be losing lots of sinkers! I didn't have my cat poles but I am certain I could have brought a few in! Shad was popping the water just before sun came up then disappeared! When the shad left so did I. I can't wait til they get the turbine side done(stiill closed).

14. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    OkieBo, when I fished shadd was THICK.... and I mean TOO thick

15. lelzo

lelzo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What do you think is the best time to fish below the dam? I like to fish early in the morning it is less busy. When I have gone to fish after work the walk way is usually more crowded.
    I always do best if I am right up by the stairs, I would like to find the catfish in other places further down the walkway but have't yet.
    Lazybum was your friend that caught all of the fish using the dam boat?

16. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Yes, we use a dam boat

17. creeltl

creeltl New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    They are also referbishing the sluce gates. all 9 of them They close the road so the crane can put the bulk head in front of the sluce gate so the gate can be removed without releasing water and be rebuilt

18. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    thats pretty interesting!!!!! When they doing this or have they already, or in the process??

19. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma

20. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well maybe they not gonna open? Keystone is only 6ft up and kaw is only 1ft up. I still goin early in the morn.be there 5-530am I will be on southside wearing a green rain coat and camo hat.