Keystone Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shadmaster, Sep 1, 2007.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Spent the day (14 hrs) on the Cimarron river branch off of Keystone yesterday. Started off good with Shad easy to find. I've seen this as a bad omen for me in the past. Well you could walk around on top of the Gar. I fished the flats and coves trying to get away from them. I could locate what I am sure was Blues but the Gar would strip off my bait before they could get to it. I caught a few (very few) small ones. Finally resorted to a little drifting and caught one that went 12. Those Gar were everywhere in the river and hitting anything in the water. Not returning there for a while.

2. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Makes for an aggravated day on the water unless you are wanting to target those robbers.:smile2:

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

When the gar won't leave you alone, try this. Take one (if you can catch one) and gut it good, hang it over the side of the boat, or at the edge of the bank if bank fishing, just barely in the water. An old timer told me this trick a long time ago, I have tried it a couple of times and it seems to work. Something about the carcas, and the blood, seems to keep them away for a little while at least.:confused2:

4. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I went behind the dam yesterday after work. That place was super crowded! Sometime in between yesterday and the last time I went fishing, I turned retarded and forgot how to throw my cast net,lol. After about twenty throws and zero shad later, I gave up and just used worms. All I caught was a drum. I saw some boats out there but couldnt find the ramp, I was kinda wanting to take my seadoo out and sit in the middle of the river and fish.
    I will be going back to the dam every chance I get after work, I get bored just sitting in the travel trailer and its too far to drive home every night. Anyone know the time when the crowed dies down at night? Any of ya'll fish out there regularly?

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Daniel,
    The ramp is on the south side of the dam about a mile or so downstream at a place called Swift Park.
    I've seen people there almost all night.
    I think the south side of the dam has been closed to public access right at the dam due to a washout/cave-in.
    On the north side, if you can get to the end of the sidewalk closest to the dam, the shad are usually thick right in there.
    Where do you have your travel trailer parked?

6. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Its sitting in Yale at a jobsite.

7. tatooed11

tatooed11 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    me and my uncle live in seminole and shawnee were is some good spot's around are part's to hook some monster's we keep catching small fish what are we doing wrong? lol on north canaidian

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kevin (tatooed11), mark it on your calendar now --- the first weekend in June of each year is the B.O.C. gathering at Keystone Lake. Usually at the New Manford Camp Grounds. Catmen from all over the U.S. converge at Keystone. I am sure you'll learn a lot and enjoy the company. Incidentally, Let me welcome you to the BOC. There are some other members from over the Shawnee/Drumright/Harrah/Chandler area.

9. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Kevin and Awshucks,
    It (Keystone Gathering #6) will be May 30,31 and June 1, 2008. 1st time it's ever fallen that way.
    Feel free to sign up as soon as the thread gets put up in November or December.

10. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

I live in Seminole too. The North Canadian could be part of your problem, I fished there Sooo many times and was disappointed every time by morning. Now I wouldn't fish there if my life depended on it. Even noodling we rarely found anything over 20 pounds. Around here there isn't many places to catch big cats. There were some hogs in Wewoka creek during noodling season, but I have never tried fishing in it. I dont even attempt to catfish around here, I wait to do it till I go to Eufaula or T'bird. I usually just fish for hybrids at Konawa lake or fish in farm ponds.

11. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Well I just keep trying. Since my first report I have gone to Kaw and fished up the river. Then went to Skiatook and fished out of Hominy Landing. Same old story. GAR everywhere. Both of these trips were daylight to dark. When I go I like to get my moneys worth. Anymore these are not cheap trips and if there is fish around I want to find them. Talked with a lot of people at both sites and nobody doing any good. Jug people are just feeding the Gar also. I can catch a few little ones but basically just sorry fishing.

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Aug and Sept are tough months in Oklahoma every year. We are hot, no rain and little to zero current. This is also always the busy season for the turtles and gar and fishing can be tough for sure. Size up to LARGE BAITS, no shad and fish in the shallows five feet or less.

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have some friends that have been do pretty well on cats at Kaw in 15' and less some fish to 30 pounds. getting their limits.This was last week though.

catman george

14. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you will find some pretty good spots on wewoka creek. the canadian. is only good for atv riding and shooting