Keystone Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tulsa County, 8-1/2 W of Sand Springs, OK
    23,610 acres
    Shoreline: 330 miles

Keystone Lake was named for the community of Keystone, a post office from 1900 until 1962 when it was inundated by the waters of the lake. The name Keystone was coined because the location was the "key" position at the junction of the two rivers. Camp Arbuckle was established near here to protect the Leavenworth Expedition bound for the Wichita Mountains in 1834 to stop a war between the Osage and Plains Indians.
    Keystone Lake provides great fishing opportunities for white and black bass, crappie and catfish. A 10-acre nursery pond has been built in the Salt Creek area for black bass fingerlings which are later released in the lake to supplement the bass population. Keystone Public Hunting Area, covering approximately 15,500 acres, lies along much of the shoreline which consists of bottomland timber and postoak, blackjack and prairie fields. Principal wildlife include squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove and waterfowl.

Attached Files:

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I know shad are always easy to catch below keystone dam but sometimes your cast net gets hung up in the rip rap next to the sidewalk. They are running 30,000 cfs right now and all the shad are swimming on the sidewalk and there all ten's of thousands of them for easy pickins. I filled a 48 quart ice chest with nothing but shad with one cast. No fear of hanging up when your casting on the sidewalk. Now I think it's time to jug. :)

3. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Where ya gonna Jug at?

Ever tried skiatook?

We are going up there to camp next weekend, trying to find out if anyone knows the lake.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Tony,

I love taking the family out to Skiatook Lake. We always go to Tall Chief Cove because they have the best swim beach I think in the state. Its big, clean and the kiddo's can be fifty feet out in the water and only be waist high. That section of the lake though is too busy with all the jet ski's and boats this time of year. When I have fished there it's mainly for hybrids since it's one of the best lakes for them. There are bluecats and flatheads in there. If I were to be juggin or rod and reel Skiatook, I would get away for the main traffic of the lake and go farther west and put in at Black Dog, Twin Points or Hominy Landing. Bull Creek also in the northern arm of the lake where you will do good also. Good Luck it will be real busy that weekend.

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We will only be fishing there at night. Durring the day we will be playing around, draggin the kids on a tube. We are camping oddly enough, at Tall cheif cove.