Keystone Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rhuffman, Apr 30, 2009.

1. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Anyone fish it? I've heard there are some big flatheads and huge musky. If there are nice flats I want to make a trip. I havn't done much cattin in lakes.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    do you mean keystone power dam near plum, armstrong county? (there is two keystones)

anyway if this what you mean the fish commissions report is located herehttp://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2008/2x08_12keystone.htm

IHMO; flathead fishing is simply a waste of time in the many dams and lakes in Western Pennsylvania. This is a matter of Fish commission policy; They do NOt and will not stock flats in lakes and reservoirs. That doesn't mean their not there in some minor way.

Some anglers try really HARD to stock favorite fisheries with large invasive fish, like the flathead. Even if your a flathead fan, and I know yall are; there's still something not right about ruining a lake or river by putting in a large predatory, invasive fish for selfish reasons.

Anyway the fish commission admits catching flatheads in Keystone; but LOOK at the numbers! flatheads are almost five times rarer than tiger musky. I'm sure a survey of the alleghany wouldn't show this... in lower portions it wouldn't suprise me in the least if flatheads didn't outnumber muskies (of any flavor).

the reason for this dearth and for legitamite skepticism that any really good flathead population is found in the summary of panfish catches. "While the total number captured wasnÂ’t particularly high,..." explains alot.

Not enough food.

So IMHO, Going to Keystone for flatheads, would be a novelty; a chance to catch them where few if any try... but if YOu actually want to catch them, there are SO many more in the alleghany (and mon/ohio).

Now the tables might turn if somehow morraine or some other panfish rich lake would to get an 'infestation' of them. Wo be unto the angler that put them in their however.

... but There are other ways to look at it.

We can be the 'Keyboard anglers and guess and read up the fish commission report... but you really can't authoritatively KNOW until you really try.

Secondly, I've fished Keystone; it is a beautiful lake. I fish for many things and keystone has a nice diverse fish population. There's even big trout in there! bring a lot of poles and while one pole is waiting for the 'lengendary' flathead, the other could be targeting all kinds of things.

3. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    Keystone State Park near Latrobe. Is that the same place you're talking about? Thanks for the info though.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    No I'm pretty sure thats the OTHER keystone... and I don't know much about that lake but I hadn't heard a THING about it having flats.

it would be strange if it did. few places have flats.

someone with more familiarity with armstrong/westmoreland county should be able to clarify this. Keystone power dam is immediately south of plum and NorthWest of indiana and not far from kittanning.

I think the 'other' keystone is near greensburgh immediately east of pittsburgh.

Personally, I wouldn't fish for flats ANYwhere (in W PA) except the three Rivers Unless you have a good friend pulling them out of some places and he has photos to prove it:wink:

5. daltonweaver3

daltonweaver3 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I live about 3 miles from there and actually fished there yesterday. The crappie bite has been pretty good the past few weeks, but is fading now. There were about a million people camping there, which is typical for any weekend when it is relatively nice.

The girlfriend and I went to my hotspot for crappie and started fishing. There was no one else fishing anywhere near us. Start catching a few crappie and the little kids start moving in with their bobbers and nightcrawlers. After about an hour, there were probably 20 people (kids and idiot adults) fishing within 300 yards of either side of us and yelling like a bunch of leafers. The crappie stopped hitting and we left before I made a bunch of people very angry.

I heard lots of New Jersey accents and saw very few fishing licenses, so it was no surprise what happened. I was almost going to go back to same spot at daybreak this morning and blare my radio and see how that felt with all their hangovers.

Here's a summary: lots of bluegills, decent amount of stocked trout, seasonal crappie, occasional nice largemouth and lots of idiot campers who don't care about fishing etiquette. I highly doubt there is any decent population of flatheads. There are some channels I believe although I've never caught one and lots of bullheads.

6. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    LoL, sounds exactly like these super trout fisherman around here.

7. daltonweaver3

daltonweaver3 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fished here again today and caught a couple crappie. Talked to an old guy who told me he saw someone catch 15 crappie in about 15 minutes at the same spot and kept them all. The guy told him he did the same thing the day before. No wonder I'm not catching as many as before :angry:

I know everyone has their right to keep fish, but it just irks me as someone who releases everything.

8. nightfisher1

nightfisher1 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i think pa needs to reduce the bag limit on panfish, especially in smaller lakes like keystone. the current limit on panfish is 50 a day, nobody needs to keep 50 fish a day. even 15 crappies a day is too many.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    some rep for ryan, as I strongly agree with the sentiment. also at least one neighboring state has a size limit for crappies. and that, as well, makes a lot of sense...

and not that anyone on here is likely to disagree, but if 50 PANFISH /day is greedy and ridiculous. How BOUT 50 trophy catfish? :eek:oooh:

that is what really is ridiculous.

10. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I agree with you all. I think a size limit on stuff would help. For that matter who in there right mind wants to clean a 4 inch bluegill or crappie. Only thing about that is alot of us use gill for bait live or cut. Not sure how the make a distinction on what peole are doing. On the other hand some of the ponds and lakes are over run with pan fish. The local pond here is just infested. Not many people keep sunnies or gills anymore around here.

11. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I also agree, Ive kept my fair share of crappie but if there not 11" they go back. Id like to keep catchin decent crappie so I'll do my part even if others dont. I also agree with Catitude that not to many people are keepin gills which is fine by me one of the tastiest fish there is, dont keep many but for bait and a few for a sandwich once in a while but they got to be at least 7" if not bigger This is the best time of year to get those big bull gills.