Keystone Lake catfishing report for 2/20/07

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tiny, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    water temp about 9:30 was 35 to 36 degrees .. by noon it was 45. I explored Mud Creek area and messed around down in there for a couple hours ... caught about 35 shad while I was there. Gulls were diving in areas but I went to investigate and I'll be danged if I could figure out what they were doin. didn't see any shad or anything that they could have been after. Lyin birds anyhow. so when I was done messing around up in there I decided to go hit some of my old winter fishin holes ... got over there and my daggum trollin motor wouldn't turn to the left so I decided that wasnt gonna work ... didn't feel like messin with drift socks so I went up and found some fish in one area and threw out 4 poles ... caught two fish real quick then missed a third one and reeled in and went in search of more fish ...didn't want to harrass them too much ... went in the other end of the lake and caught 4 more up there and decided to head on outta there about noon:30 ... was a great day to get out and I hadn't been out since nov 25. gonna make two more short trips like that and them I'm gonna bust um up. hahaha. 6 fish total with the biggest two at 15.6 and 14.13

bait was cut shad ... always cut shad for me. No WD-40 either :/ hahaha

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the report Tiny!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sounds like a good trip to me.

Man, it sure was a nice day out today. Hated to be stuck inside at work.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks for the report. I'm not an Okie, but I'm sendin' this back up top for everyone else who is.

-Red

5. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks guys and most welcome.

figured I'd add this for 2/22/07 instead of starting a new thread ... went to the cimarron side and it's a deadzone over there ... I burned up 10 gallon of gas looking for shad and never found any on the cimarron arm of keystone. I think all the fish and shad have moved over to the arkansas side do to a reverse flow effect from them holding back the water so long and not releasing anything all winter ... the arkansas flow is a lot greater than the cimarron flow so it actually reverses the flow over on that side and the shad are usually wanting to go towards the current so I think that's why there's no bait or fish over on the cimarron side. I didn't even get one shad trying to throw at a few single shad that showed up on my fish finder ... not even sure if they were shad but if you're planning a trip any time soon to keystone, don't bother with going over to the cimarron side until things get back to normal. I went all the way up and down the whole cimarron arm and never found anything.