Keystone Information

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by LMHart, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have made decision. My GF and I are going to fish Keystone. We are hoping to fish below the dam. I heard that its hard to get to right now. So if someone could give me some good directions to the dam and maybe a few pointers.
    Few questions cause I have never fished it.

Will 11 and 12 ft poles be good or are they an overkill?
    What is a good bait?
    Where can I find the bait?
    What is a good back up spot incase we dont like the dam area or can not get to it.

Thanks

2. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    when are you planning on going? I was also thinking of going here pretty soon if i can get off work any...

I went the other day and the dam is just about completely shut down.. a few small roads will take you there..

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122536&page=2

This thread has some really good directions how to get there from mannford..

3. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    11 and 12 ft poles are good sized rods to fish the tailwaters at keystone.. I use a 11.5 and 13 ft 1 piece rod and i wouldnt think of using anything shorter.... for distance purposes...

the shad there have been pretty thick down there early in the mornings or in the evenings.. may want to bring an ultra light with some small crappie jigs to try to get some skip jack as well..

and to answer your last 2 questions.. the bait can be found below the dam.. shad may be easier to net while they are generating water.. I check the generation schedules before I fish any tailwaters.. heres a good link..

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/power/hydropower.html

If the dam fails you there is always the Mannford ramp.. I stopped by there the other day and was able to just about fill my whole bucket with shad with 3 throws of the net.. the sandbass have been running through there in the early mornings and evenings as well.. I didnt really catfish there so im not sure how theyve been back there..

Hope this helps.. and I'm sure more people will have something to add on..

Ken

4. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    LMHart you may travel a lil further but if you come all the way to tulsa and follow 244 to the 412 west you run that till you get to the exit where woody's bait shop is turn left go to the stop sign turn right follow that road it will take you to the dam. You will be comming in from down stream. I forget the street name for that exit maybe some one else might chime in and post it for you. If you cross the lake you went to far. lol If you have a map its the exit just before hwy 51B west this is the road they are working on from what i hear and i drive a end dump. some of our drivers have been hauling flyash out there for the road bed they are redoing. Hope this info helps ya.

Foggy :cool2:

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I think the exit is 209th St. West.

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks all for the information. I made it down to below the dam and fished it for a few hours but no one was catching anything. We moved down a little on the river to some boating ramp and set up for the night. It was an interesting night. Donated a lot of lead to the snag gods and caught a few stripper fingerlings. Best fish of the night was a 3ft gar on a river cub in 3 feet of water. It was a fight and was rolling like a cat but alas it was not. It was my first gar and man are they ugly and I think I am a little scared of them.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck Mark. Hope you catch some nice cats.

8. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    was the northside of the dam still closed off?

9. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am not sure. I didnt see anyone over there when I was fishing. I did think that it would be more productive to be able to fish the flow.

10. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    If you could have gotten into the camp ground there is a walking bridge that cross's the creek and you just walk across the parking lot to the walkway down to the turbines.

11. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    So after my first trip to below keystone I am hooked. I really liked fishing the river. I have a few questions about the area.

Why was the current flowing towards the dam? I could not understand and it has me quite puzzled.

Is fishing below the dam or along the river a good spot to hook into a large cat? If so what kind of cat?

How deep is the average depth?

Thanks

12. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    The flow is called back wash this is why if you fish by boat you make sure the motor is running before you untie the boat or it will suck you up to the dam.
    As far as depth it will vary according to the bottom where you are fishing at.
    All kinds of cat are there from channels, blues, flatheads, and the yummy miss whites. Earlier this summer they were running good over by haskell east of town on the ark river.