Keystone Fun 10.21.06

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by TDawgNOk, Oct 23, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We (PeZ, me, and Shawn who is PeZ's friend) put in at New Mannford about 9:00 and headed south. We dropped down and put out some gill traps then headed to canyon cove to look for some shad.

We then went and drifted for crappie for about 30-45 mins at some brush piles my friend had out. Didn't catch any. Shawn asked how much water was supposed to be in the back of the boat where he was sitting and we looked back to see about 6in of water. Turned on the bilge and it was working. I had Shawn tape the bilge against the transom a couple of times and it kicked on and pumped the boat out. Went back and checked out our traps and had a mess of gills. We were getting ready to go drop our jugs using cut gills as bait but a couple of guys on shore near a dock said that they were catchin a mess of crappie so we went and fished next to the dock with them for a while. About 1:45 we headed out to drop our jugs and dropped 10 of them, then headed over to the main channel on that end of the lake. Boy, that was a mistake. Shut the engine off to drop jugs and the wind blew us about a half a mile in just a few mins. We gave up putting our jugs out there and headed back to the dock we had been fishin at. Even that cove had gotten real choppy. We pulled in our traps and our jugs, tossed our gills back in the water and headed for Peir 51. We were freezing crusing across the lake fighting the wind. Got to the dock and stayed there fishing for a while. At 6:00 we headed out back to the ramp. When we rounded the corner and headed under the bridge that wind took my breath away. I dropped throttle to go no wake under the bridge and still had the throttle halfway down due to the wind and being off plane. Soon as I passed that last bouy, I slammed back to full throttle to get back up on plane and went straight into the wind until I was at a point where I could angle to go straight to the ramp.

All of this was in my brother in laws 16.5 ft 1965 Starcraft with a 50 hp motor, no tilt, no trim, and the boat has a tendancy to just jump to the right at times. I've only driven the boat 3 or 4 times and have never run it in rough water or wide open. Let me tell ya, my nerves were shot until we got near the ramp outta the wind.

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    So Tony..another trip and you didn't catch any fish huh?

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds like an enertaining trip to bad it was fishless

4. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    nope, not fishless, caught about 25-30 crappie

5. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    [Oh but Tony, what a great story to tell kids and grandkids some day
    even tho it was fishless, the memories are what count. Although some fish would have made a better story.

JUST HOOK IT
    "Flint"

I just read the part about 25-30 crappie, good job

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dad gum it Tony, I guess I just have to rain on your parade. Did you not know that in Oklahoma it is illegal to trap sunfish (bluegill included) for bait? Pretty stiff fine. LOL

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Only thing mentioned in the regs is as follows:

SEINES, CAST NETS, TRAWLS AND DIP NETS (Noncommercial): Seining, cast netting, trawling and dip netting bait for personal use is lawful in all waters year-round except Lakes Taft, Lone Chimney, Overholser (including tailwaters and downstream to NW 10th bridge), Hefner, Draper, Close to Home Fishing Waters (see pg. 17), the Wichita Mountains NWR, and in Department of Wildlife Fishing Areas (see pg. 28), however cast nets may be used to take bait for personal use at Lake Carl Etling.
    Any person may seine, trap or transport minnows for their own use as bait, provided the seine does not exceed 20 feet in length and 1/4-inch mesh. Cast nets, trawls and handheld dip nets are lawful for taking nongame fish only as bait for personal use. No person may take and/or export out-of-state via land based transportation more than one hundred fifty (150) nongame fish, including shad, for potential use as bait. Cast nets shall have a mesh size no greater than 3/8-inch square. Trawl nets pulled by motor driven boats may not exceed three (3) feet in diameter and 3/8-inch square mesh. A resident or nonresident fishing license is required of each person using these methods, unless exempt.

Do to that I contacted both Carlos Gomez and Breck Henry, both Oklahoma Game Wardens and requested clarification. The both stated that yes, gill traps ARE legal in the State of Oklahoma for use catching NON-Game fish.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Me too, Me too. Except I asked Capt. David Deckard, Law Enforcement Division, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation the question of trappin sunfish... seems in Oklahoma, all members of the sunfish family are gamefish. Here is the link...

AskWarden@odwc.state.ok.us