Keystone dam?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Blakemo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was at Keystone dam yesterday(no fish but had alot of fun and learned how to use some cool stiper rigs!) and there were dead carp and gar everywhere!!! 21 gar counted and 60 or 70 Drum or whatever they are. Since theres so many of them, if the cats dont bite how do I catch the drum? why was everybody killling the gar and drum!? I would love to have one of those big things on my line yet people throw them up on shore so they can stink and no one else gets to catch em:angry:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I thought the state laws prohibited throwing fish on the bank to die. Thought they had to be returned to the water or buried.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You are right AWSHUCKS.

catman george

4. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Your right , not only killing them but it's no wonder new fisherman can be turned off....the smell is repulsive!

5. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im the type of person who dosent care whats on my line as long as it fights and its fish so this made me very mad! But any advice on how to catch some of these more common(well mabey not any more :angry:) fish?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To catch gar, get some 1/4" nylon line, put a weight in one end with an eye hook. Tie the nylon around the weight, and unravel the nylon... should be about 4 to 6 inches in overall length. Use a wire leader, hook the rope on, cast it out. When one of the minnow/sunfish stealing gar hits the line, their teeth get snagged. Then the fight's on. lOL. Oh, yes, best of luck geting the sucker off the line.

7. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! Has anyone ever fished for gar on the stiper side of the dam? My brother and I saw like 15 gar over there but everybody was using bucktails so none were caugt.

8. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    was at keystone this past week for 5 days fishing was great cought a mess of fish about the carp n drum lot of ppl are useing them for bait right now i know thats what i was useing for bait but i threw mine back in when i got done with them and if u wanna catch gar go on the south side get a flloat use cut shad flot it about 6 inches under the float drifting it u will catch gar an possiably blues all the fish i cought were cought out in the slush gate that was running after the low pressure front came threw they turnd down some but we still cleand 39 fish from 6-18 pounds released one 31 an several 20+ pound fish all fish were cought on cut carp or drum they wouldnt touch shad or anything else threw at them

9. Artic-z

Artic-z New Member

State:
    Bixby, OK
    this isnt a picture of mine but iv made some real similar even added a bullet weight for the nose to help it stay down in water, works awsome, you can fish for gar easily on 131st between memorial and sheridan, youll have to walk over a half mile down the man made creek to get to the river or be a rebel and just drive. and hide the truck once your down there. or try snakecreek between leonard and bixby off H-64

[​IMG]

[​IMG]