Keys to dealing with an asthmatic

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Eithne, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    The topic of asthma and attacks came up in chat today. I realize that not everyone knows how to deal with a situation like this if it occurs. Asthma is very serious and every situation is unique. The triggers are different for every asthmatic. So here are a few tips that a friend once wrote out.

"1. Don't panic Your panic makes them panic.
    2. Talk calmly and ask them what they need. Is it an inhalor? An epipen? A phonecall to 911? If they can't answer call 911.
    3. Help them stay calm The calmer the asthmatic and you stay until help arrives means that they won't tense up making it harder for the small amounts of air to be brought in.
    4. Understand when they say that they feel exhausted When you've had a cold, or pneumonia you know how hard you've worked to breathe and how badly your back hurt when it was over. Now multiply it at the very least of ten times. An asthmatic having an acute attack uses every muscle possible to drag air in and out of a narrowing passageway. I've ended up sore from head to foot and unable to move for two days after an attack.
    5. Don't let them pass out This isn't like holding your breath. It's Game Over if they're out cold and help doesn't arrive in time. And you can't depend on help to arrive on time, sadly enough.
    6. Hot tea and Hot coffee are great stimulants for the muscles and the airways in the lungs. Taken at the right time they will help breathing. Good thing to remember!"

If you know someone with asthma, it may be good for you to sit down with them and learn how you could best help them if they ever have an attack. I've had asthma since I was a baby and I know from personal experience that the most reassuring thing to have besides your inhaler is a person who knows how to help when it really matters.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good points Kristine. Asthma has become a way of life here in the king house hold. My wife suffers from it in a bad sort of a way. We keep the inhalers all over the house and in all the cars and trucks. I can't let her get to far from one. This hot weather has wore her out these last few days. Thank god I have a good air condition unit. Those are some good important things to remember to. Thanks for posting this.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thats got to be one of the best thrads posted in a while thank you

4. minnies_moocher

minnies_moocher New Member

State:
    Coldspring, Texas
    Kristen, Good post. I have asthma but not that bad. I am glad to know now how bad it can get, and if someone ever has a attack I will know what to do. Thanks for the info.:big_smile:

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Good post, our daughter has it pretty bad so been around it now for 21 years. Scares a person every time it happens, a lot of times she can handle it before it gets to bad, two years ago they were just getting ready to put the breathing tube in her neck when she caught some air, thank God for that.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Good post, with the heat wave its only making it worse. Ive had asthma ever since I can remember. This heat and pollution makes it miserable to even go outside.

7. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    2 years ago I had an asthma attack in the middle of a district basketball game, and had to miss the last 3 games of the season. I don't mean to brag, but some of my teammates think we lost district because of the incident.