key for a mercury outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by crackers, Jun 3, 2009.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I misplaced my ingition key for my outboard its a 115 hp murcury about a 1980 i think. where and how do you get another key.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Quite simple. GO to a NAPA auto parts store, or an Auto Zone, or a Reilly's (actually just about any auto parts store) and have them use their marine catalogs order you a new ignition switch. Cost is about $25.00 to $30.00. It is a fairly simple procedure to go into your control box, swap the wires around from your existing switch to the new switch, and install the new switch in the control box. Not a hard project.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    First choice would be checking with a Mercury Dealer about a replacement key, they should be able to tell you where the key code is on the switch. I've been into several old mercury boxes and when they get some age on them, the wires get stiff and brittle. It can be tough to stuff all the wires back where they came from in the box.

4. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    I lost our boat keys not long ago before my husbands BIG fishing Trip with the GUYS. Lets just say WWF had nothing on that day. Doggies running for cover everywhere. and All his buddies lined up in the yard looking at me like i just killed someone.

Once I calmed down I found them but I had copies made ASAP. But I called the Mercury Dealer here and they said they could replace them at no charge just pay shipping and they would send me another set.

I realize we have newer boat so i don't know if that makes a difference. It does not hurt to check.

5. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for all the information, there is nothing more frustating that to have a boat in the yard and not being able to start it to check it out. i will make sure i have an extra key on hand when i get one that works on my ingnition...

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    To add to this post some Mercury dealers have rings of master keys. They can find you a duplicate master and make you a replacement. You would probably have to drag the boat to the dealership.

7. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Heres what I done to get a replacement key, I did go to an boat dealer, that wasent a mercury dealer but he had a ring of keys and for a deposit I was able to take the set of keys home instead of pulling my pontoon to them. none of them worked but the only key that fit, was doubled sided which was for the 1970s , the local mercury dealers here told me they were not avalable any more and i had to get a new switch and cut all the wires and splice in a new switch and mount it on the dash. and would cost about 50-60 dollars. I didnt want to go that route. so i called mercury and asked them to see if they had the no. 128 key in stock and if they did give me the part no. and a local dealer with phone no. so i called them and had them to order a set for me. and send it to me direct. cost 8.11 and will be sent to me by the time i get it my boat will be ready to hit the water.... the extra will be put on the boat with a screw in a secret place. so this wont happen again. if you only have one key for you boat. please dont do like me and lose it before you get an extra one will save you a lot of trouble...