Kerr Scott Reservoir

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FATFLATTIE, Dec 27, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I was wondering if anyone has fished Kerr Scott before for cats? Me and my dad used to go up there every spring and fish when I was little. Usually fished for bass(they have some big spots in that lake:crazy:) but I did catch a catfish during one trip. Just wondering if it's a decent spot to fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yea it's where I do most of my fishing at. Good populations of flats, blues, and channels. Former VA record blue was caught there.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's always confusing when it comes to talking about Kerr Scott. W. Kerr Scott Lake is a small lake in Wilkesboro, NC. I know that they stocked the lake with blues back in the day I just wonder if it holds any numbers and if there are fish of any size in the lake.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Wes, Bob Wheeler should be able to help you. Hes from up that way north wilkesboro.

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Sorry lol, have fished it also caught channels. The blues did not reproduce in that lake. Reason they were sterile not sure, for lake James is very similar and they did well.

6. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    w kerr scott, has lots of nice channels from 2-10 lb range but as stated in above the blue cats diden't produce. wks does have some good size flats also. this is a great small lake to take your childern fishing, or spend a day on a pretty lake and catch some nice channels.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks Bob. That's interesting that they have channel cats and flatheads. Are there many flatheads in the lake or are they just kind of a random thing? Just thinking about planning a trip sometime this spring and I just want to know what I should be prepared for.

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    When I lived in Boone I fished it some. The only reports of flats came from some boys up in Linville that said they caught them on bamboo rod bank sets. They claimed to get them in the back ends of creek arms during the summer. Was unsure if they were pulling my leg until now! The flats I caught in that area came from the New River around the confluence of the North and South fork around river camp just north of West Jefferson.

9. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I did some fishing years ago when I was a young boy in the spillway behind the dam. We caught some decent size channels but that has been 15 yrs ago or longer, I'm sure alot has changed since then.