Kerr Reservoir 5/30

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by HHinNC, Jun 1, 2007.

1. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice day out on the lake with a light breeze allowing for perfect drifts. It took me over an hour to get some shad. Caught a few bream on the ultralight. Fished above Clarksville near the split, drifting both live and cut shad/bream for hours without a bite. While marking a lot of fish on the bottom, I took out my ultralight and put on a Sabiki rig. On the first cast I jigged up a 1.5 pound channel cat. Next cast caught a nice 5 pounder. For some reason things picked up after that, and the cats starting biting the baits. The next two hours were fun with numerous bites and knockdowns. My buddy and I managed to catch 6 medium blues in the 10 to 15 pound range, along with an equal number in the 4 to 6 pound range, (channels and blues). All were released. I forgot to bring my camera, and I had been wanting a nice cat to show in an avatar. I'm thinking I need to get back up there soon. It was right at 2:00 in the afternoon when the bite started, and we were in about 15 feet of water. The breeze had picked up making a good 6" ripple on the surface, and I'm wondering if that's what turned them on ? Catching cats on the Sabiki rig was a surprise (Sabiki rig = 3feet long monofilament with 5 to six tiny fly like dropper hooks on it ...mainly used to catch baitfish). All in all, it was a great day for us!:0a23:

2. JohnnyBuck

JohnnyBuck New Member

State:
    NC
    Yeah I hope to get up ther soon.

How is the traffic and bite at night ?