Kerr Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Little Mac, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    any of ya'll fish Kerr any? a friend and I slipped over there today and caught several 6-10lbers and one 25lb all blues. any suggestions on where the bigguns hang out? Was good fishin from 5am till about 10. then they shut down until around 4:30 pm then it picked up again . We had made several drifts Using large cut shad.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iused to fish Kerr a lot with my father in law near tamaha seen lots o gooduns from there

3. milla62

milla62 New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,OK
    I just moved to sallisaw in march. I fish on the south side of the lock, and always have pretty good luck 3 to 10 lb range all on shad. Went north by Interstate didn't have much luck, I 2 am still looking for the big ones!! Good Luck!!!

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Run up the left hand set of bouy's toward keota and when you go under the highway bridge go past the old barge loading dock on the right it's BIG can't miss it..there will be a big creek on the right that's san-bois creek..to the left is some dead trees.....fish around the trees and that flat:tounge_out:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Excellent fishing on Kerr about anywhere. Try the trees in front of and to the side of Arkies Island and straight across toward Tamaha. Several good spots up Big Sans Bois. The mouth of the Canadian is good and up river toward Webber Falls is good drifting when they are releasing water.

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Thanks Sam n Johnny, will give er a try. We went yesterday for a couple hours till the storm made a turn on us, 3 dinks, and one 15. I caught the 3 dinks on skip, buggun came on a big shad head.

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    anyone tried the upper end of the dam? have not been over there yet but we have been talking about takin a look at it. you fellas happen to remember the depth closer to the dam? I can't believe that not many Okie's are posting on this thread. I'm half Okie if that helps any????? LMAO.

8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It gets deeper as you head toward the dam..sometimes we drift behind it and do pretty good...

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Jim, I haven't fished much on that end so I can't tell you much about it. I do know at times straight out from the swimming beach they catch alot of fish. Also over toward Calington point there is some 50 ft. water.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've been reading the thread, learning. Can't say as I have ever fished Kerr, so I know nothing about it.

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Thanks again fellas, This lake is just an hour from me, and my new fishin buddy likes this lake best so I will probably be spending some time on it. He has me on size so far, but I think I have him on Numbers. Need to find the bigguns so I can knock him down a peg.....:big_smile:

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jim,

I've fished below the dam L & D 15 several times while driving for work.:tounge_out: I've caught some decent fish below there but I've never been on the lake. I do know people that do put holes in there boats and lose lower units on that lake. It's shallow in lots of areas and rocks do NOT seem to like boats for some reason. In the spring time there's a lot of current flowing out of Kerr. I'm sure a fella could do very well during the spring prespawn down there. That is if we get the water at the right time of year....pretty dry this past spring.

13. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Hey Jim, Polebenders are going to start there tournaments in December this year on Kerr Lake. You and your partner should get in one. They are alot of fun. If your interested I'll keep you posted when they put out a schedule.

14. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We catch good fish year round on Kerr..just gotta know there patterns and hang-outs... I been fishing kerr for better than 25 years and never busted a lower unit or crashed or put holes in the boat..i have got stuck a few times on stumps..just follow the barge channel and go straight in and straight out when you leave it.

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    We have gotten hung up on stumps, never have to worry about the lower unit, we dont fly.....Johnny I would be very interested in the tourneys. Thanks Guys Mac

16. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I saw Mr. jones not too long ago and he said he will let us know when the pole bendes will start....Johnny will know and he will tell us..Randy said december so it probably will be....

17. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Went to Kerr just yesterday,even knowin it was gonna rain.Biggest blue-7lbs,averaged 3-5lbs-8 fish total before the sky opened up.Was worth the trip

18. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Well its not set in stone but almost. The first tournament is set for Saturday December, 9. Right now he has 8 tournaments scheduled including a classic for next September. This year he is going to charge a $25 membership fee to fish the tournaments. The entry fee will be $50 per 2 man team and $10 big fish jackpot. Pay back will be 80 % with 20 % being kept back for random lie detecter testing at the tournaments. Big fish jackpot will be 100 % payback. 1st and 2nd place teams will also qualify for the ACATS classic / the Cabelas King Kat classic and 1 other big end of the year tournament. I will post more details when I know more. All teams are welcome to fish these tournaments they are alot of fun.

19. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Johnny,
    How can ACATS members qualify for the Pole Benders classic?
    I would be interested in fishing it but Kerr is quite a ways for me to drive every month.

Dave

_edit_ .... I am assumeing it is fishing from boat only... Is that correct?

20. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Do you have to be a member of acats to fish this tourny? Johnny will you pm me the phone number for pole benders?

We went over there yesterday, looking at different ramps, ended up at stoney point, The wind was a little high and couldnt put in at applegate. Had a hard time finding shad, but did manage some. Drifting wasnt an easy task as the wind would change alot. We made 3 drifts then run up the canadian and had planned to drift it back out to the mouth, but a storm blew up over that mountain and we liked to not made it, rain hurts at 45-50mph. LOL. by the time we got to the ramp we were in a full blown storm, high, high winds, cloud to ground lightning, 3 or 4 ft whitecaps, Took three trys to get the boat on the trailer, but got er done. Soaked to the bone. Rain gear or not LOL . Kinda worried me a tad . Think next time we may go looking on the other side of the lake to find those ramps. check out new waters to us. By the way that storm started right over the top of u s, and is the one that ripped thur Fayetteville, springdale Arkansas Last night. No fish were caught, not even a bite. Pressures wasnt right or we missed the bite window before the storm. Mac