Kerr Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fishjunky, Dec 24, 2009.

1. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Does anyone on here fish Kerr Lake/Buggs Island?

I have read an article in North Carolina Game and Fish about a dozen times that talks about catching big blues way up the river in Virginia in May. I was wondering if a similar pattern would work in Nutbush Creek.

Nutbush is a lot closer for me as I would be traveling from Raleigh. Its a fairly good drive to get there, and I will be fishing from my kayak which limits my range, so I need to zero in on the most likely spots before I go.

How do locate what areas blue cats will be in?

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    No doubt in my mind lots of big cats spawn in Nutbush. Outside of winter cats are pretty much untouched below the bridges. You could find a gold mine of HUGE cats if you worked it there

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    There are big fish in Nutbush 12 months of the year guaranteed. Good luck.

4. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the replies y'all. It sounds like I just need to study up on seasonal movements of the blue cats to zero in on where to target them.

Are most people in Kerr drifting shad on a Santee rig?

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Clint, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    There is pretty much all normal tactics for catching cats used. just have to find what works for you.

7. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I mapped the drive from my house to Nutbush Rec Area where I could launch. It's about a one hour drive, which is 20 minutes more than it takes me to get to my usual spot on Jordan Lake. That's okay though, because the average catfish is probably about 20 pounds heavier.:big_smile:

Can anyone recommend a resource to read on blue catfish seasonal patterns? I tried google but didn't really find what I was looking for. I know how to catch bait and rig, etc, I just don't know how to identify and focus on the most likely areas for the blues.
    Thanks!

8. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    do you have a fishfinder setup? That's crucial to me finding fish this time of year on a lake as big as kerr, but theyre definitely in there. If you dont have a fishfinder setup, you should atleast have a good lake map. Let me know what youre working with and ill try to help point you in the right direction. And youll have to let me know how you do, because im planning a trip out there as soon as I get my boat out of the shop :( Good luck

9. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Is there all night bank fishing allowed at Nutbush? Thanks!

10. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a fish finder on my kayak that works great. I don't have a topo for Kerr right now, but I could get one before I go up there. I just don't know if I should head upstream or down, fish on humps or in the deep channels, etc. I don't have any experience with where to look for blue cats.

11. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Alot of long points with quick drop offs in nutbush, check those out.

12. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Kerr and it's tributarys are my home grounds, and there are many big fish there if you can find them. During the spring spawn in the rivers are the place to be, with strypers, white bass, perch, crappie, and all three catfish. The long points and scower holes near creeks and main channels with access to deeper water are your best bet down there..
    Good luck and let us know how you do..

13. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    I would agree with what everyone else says....long points with access to deep water always seem to be effective places for me on Kerr. And there are alot of those throughout kerr lake so they shouldnt be hard to find. I would still get a topo map and mark a few areas to try, just to narrow down your search time once you get out there. but yeah...cruise those areas and watch the fish finder for areas with lots of bait and some larger arches underneath the bait. Alot of times these will be striper and they will be in deeper water, but the blues will be around.
    Depthwise, I would try to position myself so that I had a couple of lines in the deep water and a couple of lines up in the shallower water if possible. Im always amazed that the fish will still come up in 8 feet of water to feed, even with the water as cold as it is.
    I was out there a couple of weeks ago and I was drifting some deeper water off of a point where I was marking alot of fish. After a few drifts in the deep water with no results, I decided to anchor and try the shallower water and thats when I started catching fish.
    So just try to mix it up and find what works, and stay loyal to your depth finder because the fish can be bunched up this time of year and if you find one there will likely be more right around them. Ive gone hours with no fish and then you catch 5 in 15 minutes and then just like that theyre gone again :(
    I hope this helps some...and this is all just my experience, so take it with a grain of salt. Im sure there are others that fish Kerr alot more than I do. And good luck....that would be really awesome to hook a big blue in a kayak!!! And also be careful because Kerr is alot bigger than Jordan. Ive gotten lost out there more than once. Also the water can get REALLY choppy on a windy day, and there arent many people out there to help you this time of year if you get into a bind. Let us know how you do

14. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all the help guys. It will be late January before I would get to go up there, but I will definitely try it out. Getting lost isn't too much of a threat on an open lake like Kerr in a kayak because you are going slow enough to see all the landmarks and not really going that far, plus I always take a map to unfamiliar areas. I appreciate the advice though.

I'll do some more looking into where to concentrate on when I get a topo map.

I went to Jordan today and all I caught was a 1.5 lb white catfish. :confused2: I think it's a white cat anyway.
    [​IMG]

My best fish from the yak is a blue cat probably 9-10 lb caught out of Lake Marion. I didn't really do any research on where to try that trip, I just launched from the hotel. Dumb luck I guess, but hey I'll take it.:wink:

I definitely would like to get one 20 lb+ !!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  15. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Clint welcome to the BOC. That would be a blue, and a twenty pound fish in Kerr is pretty easy so maybe you will get hooked up.

16. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The head on that cat was very broad (which you can't tell from the pic) so that made me think it was a white. Either way, he was the skunk-saver!

Two more pics of the same fish:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  17. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    yeah...id say that's a white. There are a ton of them in both Jordan and Falls lake. Ive heard alot of debate over whether there are any blues in Jordan, but the general concensus seems to be that there are very few if any.
    Either way, congrats on the cat and not getting skunked! Hopefully that luck will carry over into Kerr lake and youll land that 20+ pounder youre looking for. And let me know the dates you go out, because that sounds like about the same time ill be making it out there. Youll have to keep your eyes peeled for a boat with a BOC flag, haha

18. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yea thats a white cat. With a little work a 20+ should be no problem at Kerr it's full of fish that size. Good luck

19. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds good. If you see this yak... give me a shout!

[​IMG]

20. johne

johne New Member

State:
    NC
    I fish buggs almost every weekend and i put in at nutbush and i fish around nutbush. there are fish everywhere. in the mouths and down the main chanel. I do fish the santee rig and fish jugs at the same time.catch 10 to 30 blues from3 to 25 lbs have seen and had on much biger. p.s.The jugs are geting more and biger fish. i hate it but i love to put fish in the boat. Hope this helps. Johne