Kerr Lake Shad?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BassCat, Feb 20, 2007.

1. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Im planning on fishing some this weekend, anyone been catching any shad?

2. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can't say, about the shad, going in the morning going to try to catch some. I have plenty of crappie that's my bait of choice, they said you can buy shad at Bullock's on Rt. 15 five miles past Grassy Creek. But, I'm going to try to catch shad at Occoneeche State Park back behind 58 in the morning and i'm going to fish between Goat Island and Ivy Hill I'll post something tomorrow night and let you know if I found any shad. I'm going to fish again friday when are you fishing?

Watch that Rod 1bigblue :cool2:

3. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Im planning on going to eno in durham friday to try to catch some crappie for bait. and hopefully make it to kerr one day this weekend, im off monday so i may go then,.... but i may decide to go to kerr friday instead.
    Mike

4. COBYSDAD

COBYSDAD New Member

State:
    SUTHERLIN, VIRGINIA
    Brian said You ain't going to catch any fish unless you have him on the boat . This is Brian what kind of name is 1Big Blue you should call your self 2nd Big Blue cause I am number one ha ha. You need to get off your butt and get on the computer I know you ain't doing nothing but I am sure you tired from getting your but whooped ou ton the lake today. Well I guess this is goodbye. see you in the morning. I love you , sleep tight.

5. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Went Thursday,cought a few bait at Occhenncce not much at all.There we're a few crappie fisherman there.Water temp is 39 degrees.I fished at Island Creek,I marked a few big fish on the bottom in about 35 to 40 ft. they wouldn't bite anything.We left there and went to Eastland Creek, found a pot full of fish there, same problem no bite.It might have been the 30 to 50 mph winds,with 6 to 8 ft swells had 7 drift socks out still couldn't slow down enough.the lake is muddy from the rivers to the other side of Goat Island, from there to the Damn is dingy.good luck this weekend,let us hear how you did 1bigblue:cool2:

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Fished from RR tressell to grassy creek, didnt even have a bite, tried drifting, but no wind, so tried anchoring, neither worked. . . .maybe they'll pick up soon.
    Mike

7. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mike did you mark any fish? Did you fish the Dan side or the Stanton side of the lake? Where you able to catch any bait? Local paper had a picture of a man that cought a 33lb blue cat on a onion hmmm. I think me and a buddy of mine are going to try to go Tuesday. Where you able to catch any crappie for bait? Sorry for all the questions,I need all the info I can get thanks 1bigblue watch that rod:cool2:

8. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    we didnt catch any shad, was fishing mainly on dan side, and caught a mess load of crappie friday at eno in durham, using pink headed john deere grub jig. I may have to try the onion, seems what im doing is not working. we put in at Occeneechee most of the time, i drive a green explorer most of the time, with a BOC decal on back window. fish from a small vhull faded blue. if you see me out, stop by and holla at me. . .im not fishing this weekend, going to Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh.

Mike

9. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    oh, and we did mark alot of fish, most of them where 20-25' down in 45-50' of water.
    hope this helps, let me know if you do any good.
    Mike

10. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Mike,you lost me on the pink headed john deere grub jig? I have never heard of that one. I probably know what your talking about but to a nother name.All I use are circle hooks. I fish for my cats on my blue 69 Bumble Bee full of rod holders. I have a 14ft john boat with a 7.5 merc lets get together and fish the spawn when the blues come up the Dan,I have a trick not many people know about.The white bass and the striper are pertty fun to.What were you useing to mark your fish? I use Eagle 480. What kind of law are you in? How did you use your crappie for bait,scaled,defined,center cuts,whole? 1bigblue:cool2:

11. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey guys...I fished Kerr this past Sat. We caught 9 all together. The biggest was 26lbs. Most of the fish were caught in Grassy Creek. Fish were around 30ft. deep in around 45ft. of water. Anybody been doing any good lately? Can't wait to get back out there. Good luck to all!

12. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    we caught the crappie we used for bait on a kalin john deere green grub, with a pink headed jig. im all for getting together and fishing the dan, i've always wanted to, but ive never been out there, and wanted to go with someone before i ventured out there myself. . .let me know when the right time is, and i'll take a few days off of work and we'll go. I work with Animal Control, in Person Co. The crappie we used where mainly heads, but we used several center cuts, scaled and unscaled, and also a few fillet's. and had one alive. i've got a eagle fish easy 2, not the best, but it's what i could afford when i got it, when i get a better boat, im getting a better fishfinder.

Mike

13. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Jamie,

where yall drifting or anchored somewhere? guessing you were anchored up in a cove somewhere, heard the wind was right bad saturday.
    Mike

14. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We were anchored. In Grassy most of the time. I have a few homemade anchors I rigged up at work. The biggest is 68lbs. :cool2: That wind wont blow the boat then! I have a heck of a time gettin that thing up sometime though. Got it hung up last year in the James when a Barge was coming through! :big_smile: That was a heck of a sight!!